PDA

View Full Version : Staying near Rockfish Gap

spokehead
04-18-2012, 11:33
Planning a 6-10 hike through the park next month, hoping to leave a car at the south end and hike back to it from Front Royal. I have a shuttle arranged, and I'd planned to stay the night before at the Inn at Afton, but the reviews of the place are uniformly awful. It's just so convenient though - looks to be 100 yards off the trail, no worries about getting a lift back to my car whenever I finish. Any experiences there, or any better options?
Thanks!
spokehead

Moose2001
04-18-2012, 11:38
Hitch down to Waynesboro is easy. Better option, IMHO

Blissful
04-18-2012, 11:41
What's an awful motel when you stay in mouse filled shelters? :)

spokehead
04-18-2012, 12:12
What's an awful motel when you stay in mouse filled shelters? :)

I know, goofy, right? Actually the hotel doesn't much concern me, but if people dislike it so much, makes me wonder if it's safe to leave a car there.

tiptoe
04-18-2012, 13:00
I ended a section hike in Waynesboro and stayed at the Tree Streets Inn. It was a delightful experience, and the owners will drive you to and from the trailhead, I believe. You can email them to ask.
http://www.treestreetsinn.com/

spokehead
04-28-2012, 17:52
FWIW, leaving a car at the Afton Inn worked fine. Not so good - the weather. Started last Saturday at Dickey Ridge, got as far as Skyland before snow forced us off the mountain. Was prepared for a lot of things, but not quite full on winter camping. Bobby Jenkins (shuttle, mentioned frequently here) was a godsend, met us after we hitched a ride down the mountain with the caravan of cars "evacuated" from the lodge. We'll be back, but maybe a bit later in the year next time.