PDA

View Full Version : hobbled hikers: more than usual this year?

tiptoe
04-18-2012, 13:14
I'm finding post after post about trail injuries. Are there more than usual? Or am I just drawn to them because I'm sitting on the sidelines, too, recovering from a broken ankle.

pyroman53
04-18-2012, 14:11
It seems like it to me...most of the journals I've been following mention lots of foot problems. Also noted bigger than usual miles at the start. In most cases early 15+ miles days which in years past was much less prevalent except on those few who started in good trail shape. Course, this is just the unscientific opinion of an armchair vicarious hiker stuck at a desk.

tuswm
04-18-2012, 14:15
what about lighter less supportive foot wear......?

quilteresq
04-18-2012, 14:15
Pyroman53, you may have hit the nail on the head. I think the lighter weight gear may mean folks are going too far, too fast. Just because you can go further doesn't mean you should at first. Especially feet and knees need time to adapt to the trail. Just my 2 cents - I did a few 4000 footers last year, and my feet were killing me after not hiking for years. Tried to stay in better shape this winter so I can start them again next month.

Pages
04-18-2012, 14:35
i carried 22 lbs with saloman trail runners, averaged 7 miles per day, and still ended up with a knee injury after 50 miles.

there were man people going 12+ miles per day at the beginning, who, when i got off, were still injury free.

go figure.

but why should there be any injuries? it's just walking, right? (NOT!)

- pages

rocketsocks
04-18-2012, 15:30
Pyroman53, you may have hit the nail on the head. I think the lighter weight gear may mean folks are going too far, too fast. Just because you can go further doesn't mean you should at first. Especially feet and knees need time to adapt to the trail. Just my 2 cents - I did a few 4000 footers last year, and my feet were killing me after not hiking for years. Tried to stay in better shape this winter so I can start them again next month.I too have thad a pretty decent winter in that I was able to walk alot,so that when it is my time to hike multiday,mt. day hike or whatever,I'll will be ahead of the game somewhat.Most people that don't hike all the time will likely have some injury,when trying to hike a long distance hike.It's important that we don't let our egos dictate what kind of hike we do,let our bodys decide that,cause it is "just walking"(love that term)walk 20 miles right out of the gate,thats not"just walking" that "just stupid"

Pages
04-18-2012, 16:36
I too have thad a pretty decent winter in that I was able to walk alot,so that when it is my time to hike multiday,mt. day hike or whatever,I'll will be ahead of the game somewhat.Most people that don't hike all the time will likely have some injury,when trying to hike a long distance hike.It's important that we don't let our egos dictate what kind of hike we do,let our bodys decide that,cause it is "just walking"(love that term)walk 20 miles right out of the gate,thats not"just walking" that "just stupid"

good advice, rocket socks. just keep in mind that even if you train - i did for six months - and even if you keep your milage low, you still might suffer an unforeseen injury if you are over 40. i had no blisters, everything felt absolutely great. the injury "just happened" with no tell-tale signs beforehand.

what's funny is we talk a lot on here about how to prepare yourself mentally before your hike, and i was prepared that way, but i NEVER imagined for a second that i would get injured while starting out slow with a light pack. i wasn't prepared for that at all!! I don't know which smarts more; my knee or my sadness as to having to get off-trail.

you can usually spot a bad attitude that leads to quitting coming on for days. I never saw this one coming.

- pages

Red Hat
04-18-2012, 17:08
Pages, I thought that you were having knee problems at Neel Gap...wasn't that about 3 days back? Anyway, the best advice that I got before I started hiking was from Warren Doyle, who told me to keep my knees bent on the downs. He said most folks that blow out knees are locking their knees on the downs. Think about pictures of Chinese women walking with large loads, they have their knees bent as they walk....

Pages
04-18-2012, 17:20
Pages, I thought that you were having knee problems at Neel Gap...wasn't that about 3 days back? Anyway, the best advice that I got before I started hiking was from Warren Doyle, who told me to keep my knees bent on the downs. He said most folks that blow out knees are locking their knees on the downs. Think about pictures of Chinese women walking with large loads, they have their knees bent as they walk....

no red hat. at neels gap my left hand and arm had gone numb and tingly back and forth. people were worried (and so was i) that i might be having a heart attack. turned out to be a pinched nerve either from strap pinch or sleeping wrong. it cleared up early in the days hike. my knee starting hurting at low gap shelter late that afternoon. by morning, it was already very painful.

- pages

WingedMonkey
04-18-2012, 17:50
I don't mean to imply this of any one posting here, or to make lite of injuries....but, some of the journal stuff I've been seeing the last few years, and a lot this year, where folks get off the trail is in my opinion.....a case of quitting too easy.

Seems to be a lot (only from reading blogs and journals) where they really are not into it and an injury is just the last straw. Injuries that others might brace and try and carry on are more than they can deal with when they already would rather be some where else

Now I will really go out on a limb and make another observation (based on no scientific evidence), I noticed last year that every time some one got sick it's supposed to be Lyme disease. One hiker even saying in his journal he got it three times. In the 90's when ever someone got sick it was always Giardia . This has lead me to the conclusion that Lyme kills Giardia. LOL

Or maybe people just get sick...and they got to name it something outdoorsy.

Again, I'm not doubting anyone's serious injury, but there are a lot of excuses one can find to quit.

:p

hikerboy57
04-18-2012, 17:58
if you havent been doing this for a while, the best course is just to start out slow. and if you think its slow enough, slow down a bit more. it usually takes me 3-4 days to get my trail legs under me.(then i go home).

Pages
04-18-2012, 18:00
wingedmonkey, you speak the truth, however i was really disappointed with my injury. still am. hope to get back on soon.
as to others - everyone has to reconcile the trail and their journey in their own way. what is one man or woman's heaven could very well be another's hell.
my hell is wanting to do this my entire life, and getting past the fear of the first few days, and ending up on a couch with no cable tv. would much rather be "out there" with the people I was hiking with.

-pages

WingedMonkey
04-18-2012, 18:09
hope to get back on soon.

-pages

That's the difference between you and them.

hikerboy57
04-18-2012, 18:15
It seems like it to me...most of the journals I've been following mention lots of foot problems. Also noted bigger than usual miles at the start. In most cases early 15+ miles days which in years past was much less prevalent except on those few who started in good trail shape. Course, this is just the unscientific opinion of an armchair vicarious hiker stuck at a desk.
its kind of like runniing a marathon if you've never done it before, or even a 5k. the inexperienced will start out with the first pack and try to keep up, quit early because its become an unsustainable pace.too many will push too hard too soon, and then it splits into 3 groups, people looking for an excuse to go home, people who adjust their pace accordingly, and people who get hurt.

weary
04-18-2012, 18:36
its kind of like runniing a marathon if you've never done it before, or even a 5k. the inexperienced will start out with the first pack and try to keep up, quit early because its become an unsustainable pace.too many will push too hard too soon, and then it splits into 3 groups, people looking for an excuse to go home, people who adjust their pace accordingly, and people who get hurt.
This sounds like the most likely explanation of all I've heard. I started in 1993 after a mostly sedentary existence ( a hike every month or or so, but not much else.) I finished after six months and three days on Katahdin. But I was far from a thru hiker. I had numerous aches and pains, including some that have never been explained. I by passed boring sections, took time off on doctor advice including one that had clearly misdiagnosed the malady, and finally bypassed southern New England in order to miss the snow on Katahdin.

I hiked agonizing slow for the first month, but in retrospect, I should have gone even slower. But I managed to resist the temptation to go home. As a result it was the most valuable six months of my life.

hikerboy57
04-18-2012, 18:43
This sounds like the most likely explanation of all I've heard. I started in 1993 after a mostly sedentary existence ( a hike every month or or so, but not much else.) I finished after six months and three days on Katahdin. But I was far from a thru hiker. I had numerous aches and pains, including some that have never been explained. I by passed boring sections, took time off on doctor advice including one that had clearly misdiagnosed the malady, and finally bypassed southern New England in order to miss the snow on Katahdin.

I hiked agonizing slow for the first month, but in retrospect, I should have gone even slower. But I managed to resist the temptation to go home. As a result it was the most valuable six months of my life.
slow and steady wins the race. fast and steady finishes a bit earlier.

hikerboy57
04-18-2012, 18:47
" I had numerous aches and pains, including some that have never been explained."
i used to have these as well. they went away after i divorced her.:)

rocketsocks
04-18-2012, 21:09
good advice, rocket socks. just keep in mind that even if you train - i did for six months - and even if you keep your milage low, you still might suffer an unforeseen injury if you are over 40. i had no blisters, everything felt absolutely great. the injury "just happened" with no tell-tale signs beforehand.

what's funny is we talk a lot on here about how to prepare yourself mentally before your hike, and i was prepared that way, but i NEVER imagined for a second that i would get injured while starting out slow with a light pack. i wasn't prepared for that at all!! I don't know which smarts more; my knee or my sadness as to having to get off-trail.

you can usually spot a bad attitude that leads to quitting coming on for days. I never saw this one coming.

- pagesYes a knee can get patched up,a broken heart no band-aid for that,acept another crack at it,sorry to hear about the knee pages,I'm sure you'll give it another go?

MuddyWaters
04-18-2012, 21:14
My son and I wear light trail runners and keep packs in the teens mostly. We go pretty fast. 15 mpd right off the couch. It is actually hard not to, you just walk at a fast pace, even uphill. Because you can.

But especially on downhill, it is easy to roll an ankle, stub a toe, etc when going that fast. When this happens you try to slow down, take your time but its actually hard to, you get bored going slow.

ljcsov
04-18-2012, 23:30
Pages, I thought that you were having knee problems at Neel Gap...wasn't that about 3 days back? Anyway, the best advice that I got before I started hiking was from Warren Doyle, who told me to keep my knees bent on the downs. He said most folks thproput knees are locking their knees on the downs. Think about pictures of Chinese women walking with large loads, they have their knees bent as they walk....

That's really solid advice. Think of it as doing a proper squat in the weight room. It takes the weight and stress off the knees and places the load onto your quads and hamstrings. Good call.

tuswm
04-19-2012, 10:57
My son and I wear light trail runners and keep packs in the teens mostly. We go pretty fast. 15 mpd right off the couch. It is actually hard not to, you just walk at a fast pace, even uphill. Because you can.

But especially on downhill, it is easy to roll an ankle, stub a toe, etc when going that fast. When this happens you try to slow down, take your time but its actually hard to, you get bored going slow.

I agree, I get bored doing much less that 15 MPD I don't like spending that much time at camp.

rocketsocks
04-19-2012, 13:57
I don't mean to imply this of any one posting here, or to make lite of injuries....but, some of the journal stuff I've been seeing the last few years, and a lot this year, where folks get off the trail is in my opinion.....a case of quitting too easy.

Seems to be a lot (only from reading blogs and journals) where they really are not into it and an injury is just the last straw. Injuries that others might brace and try and carry on are more than they can deal with when they already would rather be some where else

Now I will really go out on a limb and make another observation (based on no scientific evidence), I noticed last year that every time some one got sick it's supposed to be Lyme disease. One hiker even saying in his journal he got it three times. In the 90's when ever someone got sick it was always Giardia . This has lead me to the conclusion that Lyme kills Giardia. LOL

Or maybe people just get sick...and they got to name it something outdoorsy.

Again, I'm not doubting anyone's serious injury, but there are a lot of excuses one can find to quit.

:pYou mean like "Mafunsalow",or leaving for a holiday like "Rusahomda":D

Airman
04-19-2012, 14:25
This past week I finished a 50 mile section. Start off slow with hopping from shelter to shelter. Three days later my legs began to catch up with my mileage plus carrying a 35 lb pack. On day five, I was much stronger and had uped it to 10 miles. Just start slow and allow your legs to get use to the trail.

Blissful
04-19-2012, 14:48
Injury is really inevitable.
Keys to minimize and keep you on the trail:

the RIGHT footwear and insoles for your foot type to start
Dispense with the mentality that you have to make miles, keep up with friends, etc
Stretching exercises before your hike and while you are hiking (hams, quads, calves, stretch for the ITB band)
Giving your ligaments time to stretch and adapt (just b/c they may hurt doesn't mean you have injured them, it may mean they are stretching, so take it easy) - listen to your body but don't over listen
Lower pack weight
Hiking poles
Adequate nutrition to heal muscles with right protein, vitamins, carbs and fats (not mashed potatoes and ramen) including taking supplements like calcium, multi vite, high potent glucosmine (better to start that regimen 2 weeks before your hike)
RICE when injured
A good attitude

MyName1sMud
04-19-2012, 14:49
This reminds me.... my next purchase needs to be a good pair of hiking boots so I can go ahead and get them broken in before March of 2013.

the next purchase was going to be a tarp tent.... but i may as well get what I need more.

Nitrojoe
04-19-2012, 15:09
I had to abort the AT on April 08. Got as far as Damascus. I had an MRI taken when I got home and it was bad news.My right upper femur has a hairline crack near the ball and socket joint area. I must keep off that right leg for six weeks. I was averaging 15 mile days up to Damascus when the pain started in my right grion area. I did have a fall on the way to Hot Springs, but I thought it wasnt serious and keept on hiking. I will continue my thru hike in 2013.

Grampie
04-19-2012, 17:54
The fact still remains, a thru-hike is hard on the body and mind. A lot of folks think they will have no problem hiking 15 miles a day from day one. I don't care what kind of preperation you do, before you start, the trail will finally catch up with you if you don't take it easy until you get into trail shape. Depending on your age, this can take from a few days to a couple of weeks.

Lion King
04-19-2012, 18:19
Im always amazed at people who come straight from home and try to be impressive rock stars and knock out 20s every day out of the gate...personally, and this is one mans opinion, it aint to smart.

hikerboy57
04-19-2012, 18:23
Im always amazed at people who come straight from home and try to be impressive rock stars and knock out 20s every day out of the gate...personally, and this is one mans opinion, it aint to smart.

never more important to HYOH than at the beginning.

LDog
04-19-2012, 21:53
I started out nice and slow with 8-9 mile days. Hiked 11 miles to get to Hiawasee when I coulda stopped 3 miles from the gap, and got into town the next morning ... Got my first blister that day. The next day I was on the trail at 1:00, and hiked the 9 miles to the GA border. That went so well, I decided to do 12. It rained that afternoon, so I pushed to my goal w/o breaks. Got two more blisters. After three days of relatively big miles, pushing to get someplace I really didn't need to be, pushing hard without breaks in the afternoons, and not being disciplined about morning stretching, I woke up with my knee on fire. I took naproxin and a codeine/tylenol combo, and tried hiking. I got to Betty Creek, set up camp, and stayed there for three nights to rest what I thought was a tendonitis. On the third morning, I felt a little better, took my meds, hiked out to Rock Gap, and got a ride into Franklin. Saw a doc the next day who concurred with my diagnosis, gave me some higher-end anti inflammatories, and told me to give it a few days rest before getting back on the trail. Six days later, after resting, icing, compressing and elevating, (and paying $40/night), it was not appreciably better. I got a rental car and went home. The new diagnosis is a bursitis. Same treatment, with stretches added, and I'll be seeing a PT soon.

I attribute my problem with (A), hiking with others rather than hiking alone - the group-think thing had me going further and faster than I would have alone - probably. (B), hiking too far, too fast (especially downhill), with insufficient breaks in the PM. (C), not having a disciplined stretching regime every morning before strapping on the pack. And (D), too much weight on my back - Mostly from excessive food... I mean, I had a 30-35 lb pack with food and water, but I'm sure I'll be smarter about my food load, and that I can shed a pound or three of non-food stuff.

I will not repeat those mistakes when I get back on the trail.

LDog
04-19-2012, 22:00
... the best advice that I got before I started hiking was from Warren Doyle, who told me to keep my knees bent on the downs. He said most folks that blow out knees are locking their knees on the downs. Think about pictures of Chinese women walking with large loads, they have their knees bent as they walk....

I'll be talking with my PT about this. The descents are the knee-killers. Often, when I try to slow down, and walk with bent knees, it feels like I'm tightening up all the muscles involved to hold myself back. With a little more speed, and good pole technique, I feel less stress - tho I know I'm pounding everything more.

Who said it's just walking?

Leanthree
04-20-2012, 02:29
I don't know if there are more or less injuries than any other year but if they are, my guess is the far better than average weather has a lot to do with it. Cold rainy days force zeros and sleeping in and there have been fewer of those than normal.

johnnybgood
04-20-2012, 10:33
Some injuries are attributed to hiking beyond the limits of one's own capabilities. I personaly found myself trying to keep up with hikers that were half my age and having more trail time than me, causing myself to tire sooner and become more prone to injury.
HYOH brother is what im saying.

mirabela
04-20-2012, 12:51
While the rise of sites like this one has been a great asset in many ways, it also leads to a lot of people trying to do what is right for other people at the expense of listening to their own experience. That's probably part of it.

Kinnickinic
04-21-2012, 09:42
This is a great thread, full of the hum_le wisdom of real experiences.

Jim Adams
04-22-2012, 01:54
Use mid weight hiking boots for a solid foot plant and proper support and carry a 30-35lb. pack. The boot will prevent foot and ankle injuries and the pack will weigh enough to keep you at a pace that will avoid injury. I would really like to see the stats of shoe choice and pack weight starting and finishing...heavier just may give you a better shot of completion! ????????????

geek

HeartWalker
04-22-2012, 06:41
It isn't always your hiking shoes that get you. I broke my ankle on my thru attempt in 2010 while going to get water in my crocs at Little Laruel shelter. The path leading down to the water was muddy and slippery and in a nanosecond my thru was over for that year. It took over a year to heal. I am going back to finish in 2013. The crocs were slick on bottom but next time no crocs.

weary
04-22-2012, 09:55
It isn't always your hiking shoes that get you. I broke my ankle on my thru attempt in 2010 while going to get water in my crocs at Little Laruel shelter. The path leading down to the water was muddy and slippery and in a nanosecond my thru was over for that year. It took over a year to heal. I am going back to finish in 2013. The crocs were slick on bottom but next time no crocs.
A very wise decision in my opinion. Crocs are dangerous for crossing rivers and streams and on mud -- in fact most everywhere except lazing around a shelter. I've experimented with crocs, but long ago gave them up.

Old Boots
04-22-2012, 14:31
I hiked with a professional backpacker ( teaches and leads groups for a living) this year. He hiked 27 miles one day and 32 the next and then had to get off the trail with shin splints. Even those who know whatmtheymaremdoing need to listen to their bodies and obey.

Pages
04-22-2012, 15:07
I started out nice and slow with 8-9 mile days. Hiked 11 miles to get to Hiawasee when I coulda stopped 3 miles from the gap, and got into town the next morning ... Got my first blister that day. The next day I was on the trail at 1:00, and hiked the 9 miles to the GA border. That went so well, I decided to do 12. It rained that afternoon, so I pushed to my goal w/o breaks. Got two more blisters. After three days of relatively big miles, pushing to get someplace I really didn't need to be, pushing hard without breaks in the afternoons, and not being disciplined about morning stretching, I woke up with my knee on fire. I took naproxin and a codeine/tylenol combo, and tried hiking. I got to Betty Creek, set up camp, and stayed there for three nights to rest what I thought was a tendonitis. On the third morning, I felt a little better, took my meds, hiked out to Rock Gap, and got a ride into Franklin. Saw a doc the next day who concurred with my diagnosis, gave me some higher-end anti inflammatories, and told me to give it a few days rest before getting back on the trail. Six days later, after resting, icing, compressing and elevating, (and paying $40/night), it was not appreciably better. I got a rental car and went home. The new diagnosis is a bursitis. Same treatment, with stretches added, and I'll be seeing a PT soon.

I attribute my problem with (A), hiking with others rather than hiking alone - the group-think thing had me going further and faster than I would have alone - probably. (B), hiking too far, too fast (especially downhill), with insufficient breaks in the PM. (C), not having a disciplined stretching regime every morning before strapping on the pack. And (D), too much weight on my back - Mostly from excessive food... I mean, I had a 30-35 lb pack with food and water, but I'm sure I'll be smarter about my food load, and that I can shed a pound or three of non-food stuff.

I will not repeat those mistakes when I get back on the trail.

i have to completely agree with you on this one, bill. i swore i would not give in to peer pressure to hiker faster and further than i felt comfortable, and even though i wasn't actually pressured by anyone, i didn't want to spend a lot of time by myself at the beginning because the whole experience was new and a bit intimidating. i tried to keep up with people for the company rather than just hike at my own rate. that was a big mistake. well that and listen to supposedly experienced people on here who said that poles weren't needed if you traveled light.

i didn't use poles for the first 30. i'd not recommend doing that.

also, i'd recommend not listening to people who say that it is just walking, because unless you are jennifer pharr davis, or an ex-marine, it ain't.

- pages

LDog
04-23-2012, 19:28
My physical therapist twisted & stretched my leg every which way, found the root cause of my injury to be an ankle issue, and inflicted some intense therapeutic pain ...http://bit.ly/LDawg

neonshaw
04-24-2012, 00:50
I have about 550 miles of AT under my belt. Some things I have noticed about thru hikers are:

- there seems to be an obsession with finishing it, knocking off big miles every day. This should be a vacation,the time of your life. If I ever attempt a thru hike I want to take it easy, take pics, enjoy it

- there seems to be a desire to stay with people you just met. They may be hiking faster than you,let them go on, you will meet new people and probably catch up with the ones you met earlier

- the AT is much harder than people realize.

Jim Adams
04-24-2012, 01:07
My friend has thru hiked x3 and walks 6 miles each way to and from work 6 days a week....he just tore tendons around his knee going too fast doing some section hiking on the AT. Backpacking is not just like everyday workouts...go slow and avoid injury...the speed and miles will come.

geek

rocketsocks
04-24-2012, 07:43
My friend has thru hiked x3 and walks 6 miles each way to and from work 6 days a week....he just tore tendons around his knee going too fast doing some section hiking on the AT. Backpacking is not just like everyday workouts...go slow and avoid injury...the speed and miles will come.

geekmany of us older hikers(walkers)don't have the healthy connective tissue we once had,lot easier to get injured just getting out of bed in the morning.

Jim Adams
04-24-2012, 16:57
many of us older hikers(walkers)don't have the healthy connective tissue we once had,lot easier to get injured just getting out of bed in the morning.

Yep,.......he just turned 40.

geek

max patch
04-24-2012, 17:13
The fact still remains, a thru-hike is hard on the body and mind.

I would argue that a thru hike is good for both.

rocketsocks
04-24-2012, 17:28
I would argue that a thru hike is good for both.I think your both right!depends on the person.

Storm
04-24-2012, 19:22
There is a lot of good information in this thread. I gotta say I think my age and my previous back problems were the cause of ending my hike. I started out slow, 7 to 8 miles the first week and then went up to 10 or so the second week. Didn't try to push for any miles until past Franklin. Then the push was mainly to get out of a hail storm. My legs and my lungs were getting stronger every day and I was feeling like I could do this thing. When my old back problems started to appear in the Smokies I took two zeros in Pidgeon Forge and then another zero in Hot Springs. The rest didn't help and the pain continued to get worse. So now I am home second guessing everything and trying not to get down on myself too much. I keep telling myself at least I tried and 288 miles is not a drop in the bucket. Can't get my head around the fact that it's over for now.

pyroman53
04-25-2012, 10:48
Storm: I feel your pain!! Sounds like you did things right and still got sent home. I've thought about this quite a bit. Even the best efforts might fail in the face of reality - a thru is tough on one's body and sometimes excrement occurs! Kinda like my golf game - as long as nobody gets maimed, no windows get broken, and I have fun - it's just a game. There's lots of other cool ways to spend the next 5 months. It aint over yet.

Old Hiker
04-26-2012, 11:51
This thread was a God-send for me. I'm in Damascus on my second of a four day rest period per the doctor. I started on 29 Feb and have had SEVERAL zeros for ankle problems. The left ankle cleared up with ibuprofen, but the right ankle would not, even with 1800-2400 mgs Ibu a day, 2 aleve and 1000 mg tylenol.

I started the hike doing 7-9 miles per day, not wanting to, but unable to go much farther. Too much weight: food and water mostly. I hiked INTO Erwin with 43 pounds on my back, again, mostly food. The most miles to date was 16.6 going into Mountain Harbor Hostel. That's when my right ankle started.

I was both encouraged and depressed at being passed by EVERYONE!! Even one young lady wearing an ankle cast for a sprained ankle! Still, I was encouraged by most of the faster hikers and got to hike with some pretty amazing people: Blueberry, Hungry Bear/Amber Kat, Father-man (He's important), Big-E, Bubble-foot (who found and returned my BDU liner (YAY!), Santa and Elf, Crazy Hat, Video, John and Cat and many others. Got to meet Ms. Janet and catch a ride with her, Uncle Johnny, Grym - all in Erwin. Looking back, I should have been concentrating on what good was happening and not whining/complaining about my feet.

Diagnosis of severe tendonitis = prescription doses of steroids for 6 days, at least 4 days rest (Dr. wants 6-8 WEEKS) and starting at 7-9 miles per day again. This part of the Trail should have been easy for me - flat to moderate ups and downs, almost like the Tampa area.

I wanted to do the entire Trail in one shot - planned on this for over 20 years, saved, etc. Still feeling upbeat about Saturday's restart, but I may have to quit.

tiptoe
04-26-2012, 12:29
Wow, lots of injuries out there. I feel especially bad for the thrus who are encountering problems. You all went to a lot of trouble for your hike, and now it's in jeopardy due to bad luck or bad decisions. Somehow, for a section hiker like me, who is rehabbing a broken ankle, it's just "wait 'til next year (or the year after that), as we former Brooklyn Dodgers fans used to say. Wishing everyone lots of patience and a speedy recovery.

timmy_toes
04-26-2012, 17:42
I tried to keep up with a friend and been doin 15+ mile days for a while and now I'm in erwin with left leg problem! Bummed but miss Janet has helped talked some sense in me and gonna keep it short for a while.