PDA

View Full Version : ULA Equipment Packs

Grimace
12-19-2002, 13:58
www.ula-equipment.com

I was considering getting the P-2 and have read some good things about it. First hand knowledge would be helpful. Does anyone have any experience with the company? the pack?

peter2003
12-26-2002, 19:52
I have been also looking at this pack along with Osprey Aether 60 and Granite Nimbus Ozone (just hiting the gear market). If anyone has used one of these packs I would also appreciate a comment on how they preform. I am currently using a Kelty Flight, weight about 4lbs, which works OK.
Pete

mvng mtn
12-28-2002, 01:40
I have been looking at them also. Here is a link to some reviews:
http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews/Packs/Internal%20and%20External%20Framed%20Backpacks/ULA%20Equipment%20P-2/

SGT Rock
12-28-2002, 10:27
I HIGHLY reccomend you look at the Moonbow Gearskin. It weighs less than two pounds and can stretch from 2500 - 6500 CI easily. It is a little radical for someone looking for a backpack, but after using it, I won't go back. I like it so much I bought two of them. I've carried 20 pounds to 50 pounds comfortably in it, so even if you were a normal gear weight hiker and took on 10 days of supplies you could still use this pack.

Hammock Hanger
12-28-2002, 10:52
I used this pack last year and was very very pleased with it. It was strong enough to carry my load if it tipped over 30 pounds. Held up to the mud, rain and abuse I gave it. HH

Grimace
12-30-2002, 10:43
Sgt Rock,

I've looked at the gearskin and I've even talked to (is it John?) the manufacturer of them. A couple things concern me about them but the big one is the tent. I carry a two person for my wife and I. I shelled out big bucks for a Mtn Hardwear tent and would hate for it to get snagged because it is exposed. Of course I've never used the gearskin and have no idea if this is the case or not. What do you think?

SGT Rock
01-04-2003, 19:53
I had the same concern using my Hennessy as the pack, so I've been packing mine using the sleeping pad as a taco wrap. That way only the sleeping pad is exposed to the outside of the Gearskin. Here is a good picture of mee carrying 50 pounds with nothing exposed except for some trash bag on the sire (barely):
http://hikinghq.net/images/SA72002b/SA72002b 003.jpg

Kerosene
08-25-2003, 17:06
As of the middle of August 2003, the projected backlog for the ULA-2 is 12 weeks.

brian
08-28-2003, 19:50
I had one ordered for 9 weeks, found out i wasnt going to get it for another 3...canceled my order and got a Gearskin....im VERY happy w\ it

Brian

brian
08-28-2003, 22:00
Note this is a really old thread...

Brian

Streamweaver
08-28-2003, 22:24
I think Hammock Hanger is refering to the Ospry pack, At the top of her post it says Aether 60 . Streamweaver

chris
09-01-2003, 15:00
Look for an upcoming review of the ULA Zenith, the pack I used on the PCT this summer. For those interested, I saw lots of P1s and P2s on the trail this summer. It was probably the third most popular pack after the GVP G4 and the Golite Gust. There is only one person at ULA sewing packs, and he sews from 7 am to 10 pm, everyday. If you want a pack from him, order early.

tlbj6142
09-01-2003, 16:50
Originally posted by chris
Look for an upcoming review of the ULA Zenith, the pack I used on the PCT this summer.Great! There seems to be very little information on this pack. Does it have any type of compression straps for small loads? What is the hipbelt like? The photo's on ULA's site are too small to make out details. And the description is worthless (doesn't even give the volume).

tlbj6142
09-01-2003, 17:11
Here are a few things I'd like to know about the pack...

What is its volume? Std and using any extension collar?
What are the hipbelts like (I don't see them in the photos)?
Is the torso length adjustable?
Is it possible to use a different pad as the "spine" (assuming it can be folded to the dimensions of a Z-rest)?
Is there a port for a hydration system? Pocket?
Does it offer a reasonable amount of compression when loads are small (day/weekend trips)?
Is the super pocket partitioned into smaller pockets? Or is it just one large pocket? If the later, what prevents its contents from flopping around?
Sternum strap?
Are there just two pockets (main and super-pocket)?
How is the collar closed? Dry bag style? Drawstring with "cover flap"? Drawstring only?

chris
09-01-2003, 17:42
All shall be answered in good time. An extensive review should be done in a day or so. Briefly:

1) About 3000 ci in the body, 400 in the pocket.
2) Nice.
3) No.
4) Yes, if it folds.
5) Yes, the superpocket.
6) Yes.
7) No. There is a good strap system that holds things in place.
8) No.
9) Yes.
10) Drawcords and a strap.

tlbj6142
09-01-2003, 19:32
Thanks for the quick response.
3) No.(won't adjust)Damn that sucks! This is one of the problems with some of the ultralight packs. They put more weight on your shoulders (which is fine), but they pull back instead of pull down (like a properly fited pack). That's why I returned my moonlite. Unless you have a 20"+ torso, the shoulder straps are "above" your shoulders, not 2" below like they need to be for comfort.
5) Yes, the superpocket.Since the top closes with a drawstring, I guess you could feed the bladder hose through that port.

Other that easy access during refills, I have never understood why someone would put their bladder (2#-4#, or more) on the front of their pack. That's just too much weight too far from your back.

chris
09-02-2003, 08:23
The pack fit me quite well and I have about a 19" torso. I found that by adjusting the sholder straps, I could alter the way the pack rode on my back. I'm not sure what is meant by sholder straps being above the sholders, but things were comfortable enough for me as long as I had 3.5 days of food or less on me or wasn't hauling 2 gallons of water.

I liked the water-on-the-outside idea mostly since it safeguards my stuff from a leak. It does put more weight off your center of gravity, though.

tlbj6142
09-02-2003, 09:40
Originally posted by chris
I'm not sure what is meant by sholder straps being above the sholdersOK, I'll try to explain this better. Since a 20" pad is used as the main "support" for the pack, and the shoulder straps go across the top of the pad, the straps tend to pull back, instead of pull down. In short, the shoulder straps are really padded load lifters.

I like connection point of the shoulder straps to the pack to be ~2" below the top of my shoulder. This way they pull down. Whereas the Zenith (and Moonlite (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/moonlite.asp)) straps pull back because they are at, or above, my shoulders.

I took a long day trip two weeks ago with a Moonlite pack. Total pack weight of 20.5#. After the 17 mile trip, the area behind my neck and across my shoulders was very sore. I could barely move my arms on the drive home. I have never experienced this sort of pain and discomfort from a pack. Even with heavier loads.

Youngblood
09-02-2003, 10:02
Originally posted by tlbj6142
OK, I'll try to explain this better. Since a 20" pad is used as the main "support" for the pack, and the shoulder straps go across the top of the pad, the straps tend to pull back, instead of pull down. In short, the shoulder straps are really padded load lifters.

I use a GoLite Breeze pack so that is not an issue with me. However, I now use a hammock and need to carry more volume in cold weather than will fit inside the pack (light weight closed cell foam pads) and attach the extra pads vertically outside the front pockets. I had been thinking of a larger volume pack that used the type of pad holders you mentioned so that I could 'pack' everything inside but was not aware of the shoulder strap issue you mentioned. Glad you pointed that out... maybe my current scheme is just fine. Sounds like a real problem for folks that don't have a long torso. With regular backpacks, that is the 'fit problem' I see most often-- the shoulder straps too high on the pack, especially women who usually have a shorter torso. That really does a number on the front of their shoulders since it prevents the weight from being distributed along more of their shoulders.

Youngblood

chris
09-02-2003, 10:03
I see. By adjusting the amount of slack in the shoulder straps I could either have the main force be on my upper chest (i.e, going backwards but with the point of pressure on the front of the shoulders) or going down. That is, if I took all slack out of the shoulder straps, the pack would ride high on my body and most force would go down. In doing this, the hipbelt would ride higher than optimal and so I wouldn't use it in this configuration. This wasn't an issue unless my load was particularly heavy (i.e, with 2 gallons of water).