PDA

View Full Version : A useful new online packing organizer and pack-weight calculator

GearMan
04-19-2012, 00:40
I'm hoping someone finds this useful:

http://www.weighmygear.com/

kythruhiker
04-19-2012, 07:02
Nicely done.

RodentWhisperer
04-19-2012, 09:01
Indeed, nicely done! Something of a more user-friendly alternative to GearGrams. You should make this into a sticky.

GearMan
04-19-2012, 18:35
Indeed, nicely done! Something of a more user-friendly alternative to GearGrams. You should make this into a sticky.

Sounds like a great idea, but I have to ask, how does one make a post into a sticky?

RodentWhisperer
04-19-2012, 19:24
Sounds like a great idea, but I have to ask, how does one make a post into a sticky?

I've been trying to find an answer to that, but so far, no luck. Maybe you should ask on the Forum Help Topics forum?

dornstar
04-20-2012, 01:34
Been using this website for a few weeks now and have uploaded 30 or so products to the database. I absolutely love it and haven't been back to GearGrams since. Still a few glitches though like when I tried to add my X-cup under the cup section, it would list it twice. Had to add it under a utensil to get it to go single. Outside of that, it's great.

Oh, be careful not to save an empty gear list which I did. It ended up overwriting my entire setup.

GearMan
04-20-2012, 11:52
Been using this website for a few weeks now and have uploaded 30 or so products to the database. I absolutely love it and haven't been back to GearGrams since. Still a few glitches though like when I tried to add my X-cup under the cup section, it would list it twice. Had to add it under a utensil to get it to go single. Outside of that, it's great.

Oh, be careful not to save an empty gear list which I did. It ended up overwriting my entire setup.

Hi dornstar,

Just to let you know, that "Cup 1 / Cup 2" bug you were experiencing has now been fixed. It was brought to our attention a few days ago by another member, and we jumped right on it. In the future, if you stumble upon any further problems, please feel free to contact us directly via the contact page on the website to let us know. If it's a technical problem, I'll be sure to get it and address it.

I'll also take a look into the other overwriting issue you mentioned.

Dave D.
Lead Developer

max patch
04-20-2012, 12:08
I just tried to weigh my old Jansport external frame pack and my Svea stove, expecting that neither would be there as most hikers don't use these items any more. To my surprise they were both there.

Nice site. Bookmarked.

Bucho
04-20-2012, 17:03
That's awesome thanks.

Mags
04-20-2012, 19:01
Nice. I love how there are different activities. Did not have my brand of touring skis, though. :D

kayak karl
04-20-2012, 19:07
doesn't work when clothes are from goodwill and gear is DIY :(

free66
04-20-2012, 19:47
Thanks for that link, it was really helpful.

bfayer
04-20-2012, 21:16
How do you get a passcode to become a member?

Northern Lights
04-20-2012, 23:53
How do you get a passcode to become a member?

You don't need a passcode, just create your own password. The program keeps locking up my computer every time I do a search :(

GearMan
04-22-2012, 15:08
The program keeps locking up my computer every time I do a search :(

Hi Northern Lights,

I'm sorry to hear that the site's search function is locking up your computer. I'd like to help. Can you elaborate on exactly which search area is giving you trouble? Is it the upper "Single-line Form" or the lower-left "Checklist Form", or both? If it's entirely the upper "Single-line" form, then I believe the problem has already fixed, so please try it again at your convenience. Feel free to let me know if the problem is fixed or not on your end. If you'd like, you can always contact our development team directly via the Contact form on the site.

Many thanks for the feedback!

David D.
Lead Developer

NC_Texan
05-03-2012, 10:16
I like it, entered some of my gear as well. The timing is great, I'm just putting a pack together for a week trip to Big Bend NP.

Would have been nice to be able to use special characters (. _, etc) in username or password. It was hard to figure out how to save the pack, it is a little disk icon hidden amongst the facebook, twitter, etc icons.

dave

GearMan
05-03-2012, 11:22
I like it, entered some of my gear as well. The timing is great, I'm just putting a pack together for a week trip to Big Bend NP.

Would have been nice to be able to use special characters (. _, etc) in username or password. It was hard to figure out how to save the pack, it is a little disk icon hidden amongst the facebook, twitter, etc icons.

dave

Hi NC_Texan (Dave),

I'm glad to hear you're finding the pack-weight calculator to be useful, but I'm sorry to hear you've experienced a couple small issues.

First, regarding the use of special characters in your username and password, the short answers is, that's fixed. We had already been allowing almost all other special characters to be used in both a username and password, but somehow, frankly, we just overlooked the underscore character (_). Anyway, as I mentioned, that's now fixed. If you'd like to change your password to include an underscore, you can now log in to your WMG account, click on the "Account" link near the top right corner of your screen, and you can update your password on the next screen that appears.

Now, normally, we do not allow members to change their usernames, but I can make an exception for you. If you'd like to change your username to include an underscore character, I can handle that for you, as long as the username is not already being used. In order to do this, though, let's continue this dialog in private. Please initiate the request via the Contact form on the WeighMyGear.com website -- the request will get to me. That way, we can continue to converse via email, without displaying either of our addresses on this forum.

Regarding the "Save" icon button, I'm glad you tracked it down, but I'm a little confused about you finding it among the social media links, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc. which are at the very top and bottom of each screen. The "Save" button *should* be located right next to your pack-weight total value, along with the other related tool icons, including "Open A Saved Pack", "Print", "Graph" and "Email". I'll have our development team look into why the "Save" button, alone, jumped to top/bottom of the screen next to the Facebook and Twitter icons.

Above all, thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback! It is much appreciated!

David D.
Lead Developer

NC_Texan
05-03-2012, 14:02
Your right, the save icon is amongst the ones you mentions. Sorry about the confusion.

Good to hear the special chars work now. My username is fine without the _ :)

Great response, thanks
dav

Hi NC_Texan (Dave),

I'm glad to hear you're finding the pack-weight calculator to be useful, but I'm sorry to hear you've experienced a couple small issues.

First, regarding the use of special characters in your username and password, the short answers is, that's fixed. We had already been allowing almost all other special characters to be used in both a username and password, but somehow, frankly, we just overlooked the underscore character (_). Anyway, as I mentioned, that's now fixed. If you'd like to change your password to include an underscore, you can now log in to your WMG account, click on the "Account" link near the top right corner of your screen, and you can update your password on the next screen that appears.

Now, normally, we do not allow members to change their usernames, but I can make an exception for you. If you'd like to change your username to include an underscore character, I can handle that for you, as long as the username is not already being used. In order to do this, though, let's continue this dialog in private. Please initiate the request via the Contact form on the WeighMyGear.com website -- the request will get to me. That way, we can continue to converse via email, without displaying either of our addresses on this forum.

Regarding the "Save" icon button, I'm glad you tracked it down, but I'm a little confused about you finding it among the social media links, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc. which are at the very top and bottom of each screen. The "Save" button *should* be located right next to your pack-weight total value, along with the other related tool icons, including "Open A Saved Pack", "Print", "Graph" and "Email". I'll have our development team look into why the "Save" button, alone, jumped to top/bottom of the screen next to the Facebook and Twitter icons.

Above all, thank you very much for taking the time to offer your feedback! It is much appreciated!

David D.
Lead Developer

Sassafras Lass
05-04-2012, 21:51
Just checked it out, this site is excellent! Not it's just a matter of weighing some of my stuff to contribute - and so nice to see one of their web developers chipping in!

Sassafras Lass
05-04-2012, 21:55
Regarding the "Save" icon button, I'm glad you tracked it down, but I'm a little confused about you finding it among the social media links, i.e. Facebook, Twitter, etc. which are at the very top and bottom of each screen.

I'm guessing that NC_Texan glanced at the icons and assumed they were buttons for differing social media types and feeds, like RSS buttons and Twitter and whatnot. Because of their coloration and placement next to each other, that is indeed what they look like initially before you take a second glance and hover over each to see what it says.

grateful 2
05-13-2012, 17:53
I LOVE your site. It has made my prep time shrink. It has also helped me drop almost half a pound. BTW - I agree with Sassafras Lass - The save and file buttons need to be more prominent. Keep up the great work!

Wild Cat
05-22-2012, 09:50
This is a really good site...not only for figuring gear weight, but it'll also make a good gear checklist in the future when I'm trying to remember the easy to forget items I need to bring on a trip. I agree with what others have said about the save button. It's pretty obvious after you discover where it is, but the first time on the site I think I was looking for just a button that was labeled "save" and skipped right over the icon at the bottom.

GearMan
05-22-2012, 23:59
This is a really good site...not only for figuring gear weight, but it'll also make a good gear checklist in the future when I'm trying to remember the easy to forget items I need to bring on a trip. I agree with what others have said about the save button. It's pretty obvious after you discover where it is, but the first time on the site I think I was looking for just a button that was labeled "save" and skipped right over the icon at the bottom.

Wildcat and others,

We love to hear constructive feedback about WeighMyGear.com -- thank you!. Clearly, from your feedback, we've over-estimated the clarity of the "Pack Toolbox" icons, so, hopefully, we've cleared things up by adding a text description next to each icon. Hope that helps. Please, keep the feedback coming! Thanks again!

David D.
Lead Developer

LeeAllure
05-23-2012, 00:33
Hi David,

I like the site. It's really useful, and it's easy enough to weigh the things I have which aren't already in your database. One issue, though. When I go to weigh something which isn't in the database, or I add several things, I've timed out a few times. It would really be awesome to have a "You'll be signed out in 3 minutes. Click Yes to stay connected for another 30" or something similar. I hate having to re-enter several items or to realise that they might be semi-saved in the products area, but somehow didn't save into my pack. Thanks!

dornstar
05-23-2012, 20:34
I've been using that site religiously for the past month or two and I can't say enough good things about it. Only problem I had is with the X-Cup, it would always list it twice no matter what I did, so I counted it as a utensil.

GearMan
04-11-2013, 15:29
Hi All!

Just wanted to say "thank you!" to all the WhiteBlaze members who've supported WeighMyGear.com in its first year! In the past 12 months, you've submitted and contributed over 2000 pieces of gear to our weight database, bringing our total to over 8000 now. As always, it's totally free to register for WeighMyGear, so keep the submissions coming!

Wishing you all safe and happy trails!

David D.
Lead Developer
www.WeighMyGear.com