PDA

View Full Version : So the Learning Begins

Phsskipper
04-03-2005, 16:05
I took my first practice hike with about 2/3 of my gear and my pack today. Just a short hike of about three miles. I wanted to experience the combination of new boots (Limmer Mid-weights) and my pack under trail conditions. I also wanted to cook my lunch at the top of the loop.

Well,

I now understand why I need gaiters. When I hiked during another life (20 years ago) it was in Army Surplus Jungle Boots. They laced up to my lower calf and closed off. I had to stop about each .5 mile and clear the rocks from my boot heels. (I now own OR Gaiters)

Sock combination did not work either. Liner sock is too small and worked its way down off of my foot. (will buy full length liner socks)

Finally, I was not able to make my stove get hot enough. I made it too big and it takes too much alcohol. I also decided that my pot cozy is too bulky and takes up too much space. I will be making a colapsable one this week. (Will have to mess around with making a new stove. May go comercial.)

Interesting afternoon. I now have three issues to fix. All of the advice on this site to check equipment out and practice before you set out was right on.

Thanks for the help.

Forrest

max patch
04-03-2005, 16:19
I never owned any, but I remember when the Jungle boots were a viable hiking option and you could pick them up at any Army Navy surplus store. Lots of early hikers wore them.

Limmer mid weights are still a lot heavier than what most hikers wear today.

Phsskipper
04-03-2005, 16:32
I never owned any, but I remember when the Jungle boots were a viable hiking option and you could pick them up at any Army Navy surplus store. Lots of early hikers wore them.

Limmer mid weights are still a lot heavier than what most hikers wear today.
At 15 dollars a pair, the jungle boots were what I could afford. What surprised most people is that I found them to be very comfortable. Never a blister.

While the Limmers are heavy. I am a big guy (300 lbs) and really like the support. They are actually very comfortable and are a lifetime boot with a bit of maintenance.

Forrest

Frosty
04-03-2005, 17:11
I never owned any, but I remember when the Jungle boots were a viable hiking option and you could pick them up at any Army Navy surplus store. Lots of early hikers wore them.Also the steel shanks will be useful if those frisky locals around 19E set pungi sticks.