PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hike vs. Section Hike

Astro
04-19-2012, 11:53
I have completed 206 miles of the AT and I am struggling over whether I should continue section hiking, or start over with a thru-hike in 2014. My two youngest sons (currently 12 and 14) play baseball so I would miss all of their seasons that year, and there is always the risk of injury (will be 52 then) after making all of the arrangements at work of getting off 5 months (college professor obtaining a sabbatical). On the other hand I could complete the section hike in four more summers taking 4-5 weeks at a time.

While there is a great personal desire to do a thru-hike, on the other hand continuing the section hike appears more practical and better for my family. One way or another I will complete the trail, the question is how much better is it to do it in one trip compared to many. Looking for any thoughts from those who have also faced this dilemma. Such as have you section hiked and always regretted you didn’t thru-hike? Or thru-hiked and thought it might have been better for your family if you broke it up into sections.

max patch
04-19-2012, 12:00
section hike appears more practical and better for my family.

You answered your own question.

Since you asked, I'd suggest finishing the trail by sectioning as you described. When your children are out of the house then do your thru if you still have the desire to do so.

MyName1sMud
04-19-2012, 12:04
I'm quitting my job and hitting the trail in 2013.

Then again I don't have any kids..... or a wife.

flemdawg1
04-19-2012, 12:09
I section and would love to do a thru also. But 1st and foremost, I'm dad to 3 great girls ages 12-5). So until they're grown and gone, I'll keep sectioning and occasionally talking them into going w/ me. They deserve to have their dad around.

beachbunny
04-19-2012, 12:12
if you can't stand your kids,finish it. if you like your kids as much as i like being with mine.well,question answered. i've been putting the summertime walk off for years because we have so much fun together at the beach, they are only young once.one summer jr. wasn't being played much so i brought a deck of cards and we played rummy on the bench. we still laugh about that.i would not trade it for anything. but when they grow up,they're gone and you can move into the 4th stage of a man's life. aka,saddling the aging trainwreck of a body with a backpack and going for a walk, which is right where i am and i'm fine with that

FlyPaper
04-19-2012, 12:19
I have a wife and kids too. No way would I miss a whole summer of my kid's growing up for a thru-hike. And consider the message that would send a wife... "I'm leaving you at home (without my emotional support) to deal with all the challenge and drama of child discipline while I'm out for 5 months of recreation."

That being said, even if I had no wife or kids, and my life was at a point I could thru-hike, the choice is still not obvious. To thru-hike requires making good time on the trail, and may not leave time to enjoy the scenery. I find that I enjoy the views. And I enjoy getting to camp an hour or two before dark (when I make it in time), to enjoy a more relaxing camping experience. Most thru-hikers I've encountered have had to eat, sleep, get up and go.

Nothing wrong with that choice, but personally, I'd prefer to continue section hiking.

Cookerhiker
04-19-2012, 13:11
No. 1, your family is important and I suspect you'd miss them if you were off a thru hike which in turn would lead to doubts & guilt on your part. I may be wrong but think about it. No. 2, section hiking is very rewarding in its own right. Lots of us hike well into our 60s (I finished my section-hiking at the age of 57 but still hike a lot now including last year's thruhike of the 482 mile Colorado Trail), so just keep yourself in shape, enjoy your family and your section hikes.

hikerboy57
04-19-2012, 13:14
you thru hike and you're done. you section hike and you always have something to look forward to.when it comes to family, your heart will giode you(and it seems it already has).

bigcranky
04-19-2012, 13:17
Given that you already get the time in the summer, do the sections. I work at a university, too, but as staff I work 12 months. Would love to have 4-5 weeks in the summer, and would use it to complete the trail. In my case it'll have to wait until I retire.

Moose2001
04-19-2012, 13:22
I've often told others that to complete a thru, the hike has to be the most important thing in your life for a 6 month period. If it isn't, then you'll end up leaving. And that's OK. Nothing wrong with something else be more important. It's just something you have to decide.

WingedMonkey
04-19-2012, 13:25
you thru hike and you're done.

I would not agree with that assumption.

:sun

hikerboy57
04-19-2012, 13:35
I would not agree with that assumption.

:suni know. just dont want to encourage him.:sun:sun

Pedaling Fool
04-19-2012, 13:51
I have completed 206 miles of the AT and I am struggling over whether I should continue section hiking, or start over with a thru-hike in 2014. My two youngest sons (currently 12 and 14) play baseball so I would miss all of their seasons that year, and there is always the risk of injury (will be 52 then) after making all of the arrangements at work of getting off 5 months (college professor obtaining a sabbatical). On the other hand I could complete the section hike in four more summers taking 4-5 weeks at a time.

While there is a great personal desire to do a thru-hike, on the other hand continuing the section hike appears more practical and better for my family. One way or another I will complete the trail, the question is how much better is it to do it in one trip compared to many. Looking for any thoughts from those who have also faced this dilemma. Such as have you section hiked and always regretted you didn’t thru-hike? Or thru-hiked and thought it might have been better for your family if you broke it up into sections.
The one great advantage to doing a long-distance hike is building a foundation for great health -- and 200 miles isn't long enough. However, a thru-hike doesn't need to be accomplished to obtain this foundation. How far do you have to go, well that's hard to answer, but I would say a safe bet would be to Harper's Ferry, about 1,000 miles. But even a shorter hike, say to Damascus would be pretty good.

So I would recommend to at the very least stay on until Damascus. The biggest problems with section hiking is getting back in shape, but if you have a good foundation, it's much easier.

My 2 cents.

P.S. I don't know what kind of physical shape you were in prior to your hike, or what kind of activity level you maintained, but if you were not as active as you should be, then I highly recommend you put all your will power into maintaining what you've accomplished on your hike thus far, even if you get off today. Too many hikers lose all they gained after their thru-hike only to start over from scratch after they decide to get back on the "wagon". Just go to any gathering and see all the pot bellies, that's proof.

Airman
04-19-2012, 14:09
I am in the same situation, but really don't care to thruhike. I do section hikes. Just got off the trail Tuesday before the rain hit. Advantages of section hiking is you get to choose the weather so that you can enjoy it more and see the landmarks. Disadvantage is when you get close to trl legs, you get off. I plan to do more sections in Sep/Oct and next Spring I'm going to pick up where I left off and go to Damascus. My next hike will start at Wallace Gap in NC. I'm married and my kids are grown, so I don't have that problem, but still my wife likes me being at home ocasionally between campground hosting also.

Sugarfoot
04-19-2012, 19:55
Over the last 18 years, I've hiked all of the trail once, 80% twice, and about half three times. It's never been enough. I'm planning to thru-hike in 2013 and I feel like a trail virgin all over again. The two experiences are not mutually exclusive. There is a myth of the Southern virgin, that with each new Moon, virginity is magically restored. Ask me in 18 months and I'll tell you if it's true.

Red Hat
04-19-2012, 20:34
In 2010 I had the option of completing sections or doing the thru. I chose the thru, but by four or five months I was wishing I had chosen completing the sections. Six months hiking is a very long time. I almost grew tired of the trail that I love. As it turned out, I did a 2090 mile section and got off past Monson in Maine because I had already done it southbound. Silly, maybe, but I was ready to be done.

go for the sections.... oh, and by the way, it is still an addiction, and you will continue to come back...

dmperkins74
04-20-2012, 08:34
Disadvantage is when you get close to trl legs, you get off.

My sections are so short (www.gdbdp.com/at) that I never get close to trail legs. Every mile is earned for sure, but I wouldn't do it any other way. I take 2 to 3 day trips off to the trail, hike for a bit, then back home, rarely missing great family time. Also, I get to pick the direction I want to hike, and can bail when weather sucks. Damn... now I'm really itching to get out there!!! :)

1azarus
04-20-2012, 15:36
I am really heartened by the advice you are getting. My take on it is that you can section hike several times a year so that you are always planning for and anticipating the next adventure... and it is a real adventure to hike in the winter! I also find that hiking year round keeps my interest in staying in shape high -- I exercise regularly so that I can start a section hike walking right along with thru hikers. If I didn't section hike often I think I'd fall into being the slug I'd been for most of my middle aged life! The section hike approach also gives you the opportunity to test gear and refine your pack list, which can be part of the fun... I think it is wonderful to be addicted to section hiking. Say, five or six trips a year is perfection.

hikerboy57
04-20-2012, 15:51
one of the benefits of section hiking for me has been the ability to change plans/routes/length of trip with no disappointment that i didnt complete my original agenda. im impulsive and not goal oriented to begin with, and i enjoy taking the occasional other fork in the road, just to see where it goes. i can quit when i want, i can hike year round, and i always have the next trip to lok forward to.although i still want to complete a thru, ive lost that "burning desire" i know is necessary to make that commitment.
and im cool with it.

Montana AT05
04-20-2012, 16:24

Single guy with no kids or debt here, did a thruhike at 35 (and 4 more very long trips since) and I am now 42. Keep those things in mind as I offer my view on this.

My advice: Do a full thru-hike.

Why?

1. It's not uncommon these days for a family member to be away for months at a time (military deployment or work). Not saying it's a good thing, it just is.
2. I believe a thru-hike makes a person a better person.
3. In today's world of constant communication (cell phones, email, texts, face-time, smart phones, twitter, facebook) you will not be out of touch with your family.
4. Your family can meet you somewhere on the trail, for a vacation.
5. I think it would be incredible for two young kids see one of their parents accomplish such a goal, and to see how the other parent supported that goal despite any difficulties it creates. The lessons learned here are good (risk, security, reward, effort, hard decisions, goals, experiencing life)
6. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

If you can finance a thru-hike and not seriously endanger your family commitments, then I advise a full thru hike.

But if you commit to a thru-hike, see it thru, all the way, only a serious issue should pull you off--I've been pulled off for small reasons and regret it, and I've completed others and never regretted them). The months away will seem like moments later on but what you learn about yourself and others will remain and will enrich your experiences and views ever after (and will quite possibly ruin you too, as you'll be constantly thinking of ways to do it again).

Which ever path you choose, enjoy it to the fullest, life is pretty good if you're debating between sections or a full thru, so sit back and enjoy that reality now as well.

fredmugs
04-20-2012, 16:33
You answered your own question.

Since you asked, I'd suggest finishing the trail by sectioning as you described. When your children are out of the house then do your thru if you still have the desire to do so.

I agree with that. I have 175 miles left to my section hiking. When I retire in retire in 7 years I hope to have also section hiked the PCT and then after retirement I can do a thru if I want to. DO BOTH!

ATSeamstress
04-20-2012, 18:09
I began hiking when I was a divorced mother and 10 years away from retirement, when I intended to thru-hike. During those 10 years I accumulated over 1000 miles and married a wonderfully supportive man. He gave a thru-hike his blessing, but by the time I retired, my father was ill and needed care for the last 2 1/2 years of his life, and we welcomed a granddaughter who I helped with for her first year until she went to day-care.

My decision was to finish in sections, and those sections are longer now. I cherish the memories of my father and caring for my grand daughter. I also cherish every moment spent on the trail. I have 490 miles to go that I plan to do in one long trip.

Personally, I have no regrets. We all have to make our own decisions and they're all different. I wish you the very best in making the right decision for you and your sons.

As others have said, when you're done, you're not done. The next adventure is always calling. The closer I get to finishing the AT, the more desire I have to do a cross-country bicycle ride. Whether that happens or not depends on what's happening in the rest of my life.

hikerboy57
04-20-2012, 18:37
life is a thru hike.and we're all in it till the end.

shelb
04-20-2012, 22:40
[QUOTE=1azarus;1279614]section hike several times a year so that you are always planning for and anticipating the next adventure=.[/QUOte

Agreed! Plus, as others have said, your kids are only young once. Thru-hike when they are grown. Don't worry; sadly enough, that time will be here in the blink of an eye...

fiddlehead
04-20-2012, 23:05
I like thru-hikes for a bunch of reasons: You change your body for the better and it takes a while to get it there. Section hiking doesn't really do the same.
You don't have to struggle every time you start, only have to hurt a few weeks (OK months for some)
You feel much more at home in the woods after a while. So much that even when you finish, you find yourself sleeping outside or on the floor because it's more comfortable.
Long term goals are more rewarding to me.
There's a better "groove"

Now section hiking is fine except for the fact that you're going to suffer every year for the first 2 weeks. Sometimes that's all you'll have so, the fun, easy strutting, power walk isn't likely to happen.
You have problems getting to and back from the trail (every year)

But, your family is going to weigh very heavily on this decision.
I have a 6 year old and I can't stand missing parts of his growing up.
YOur sons in little league would be time you'd most likely regret not seeing.
Why not wait 4 or 5 more years. and section hike to keep the fat off and stay lean and mean in the present.

Easy for me to say this now. I'm hoping to do a huge part of the trail (probably the PCT though) with my son when he's 15. I'll be 70.
I figure we'll be hiking about evenly by then. LOL.

bflorac
04-21-2012, 00:07
I would section hike and take your sons with you. My daughter started section hiking with me two year ago when she was 12 and loves it and I love spending the time with her. She helps with planning (she pick out the food). She carries her share of the pack weight (20+lbs fully loaded for 7 days) and never complains. She still has dreams of going back an doing her own thru hike. This year we are in for 237 miles from Pearisburg to Waynesboro. Only advice is to start slow, your knees will give out before theirs!