PDA

View Full Version : 4 day hike in North Georgia

Studentpreacher
04-19-2012, 13:45
I have had a recent change in my plans for me and 2 other beginners to hike from Springer to Neels gap in 4 days...transportation issues caused us to have to find a different route. Any suggestions on a loop in that area? I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Hoop
04-19-2012, 14:52
Check the Coosa Backcountry Trail (13 mi loop) for a full one-day hike , or an overnighter. Call Vogel State Park for info - you have to register at their office and get a tag but it's free.

You can branch off and explore the Duncan Ridge Trail, or go over to Blood Mountain. Hard to turn it into a 4-day hike, though.

mgeiger
04-19-2012, 15:20
Coosa sounds awesome, but have not done it. You could branch off and hit the AT as above. If you go SOBO on the AT, you can pick up Slaughter Creek Trail at the base of Blood Mtn and head towards Lake Winfield Scott. Slaughter creek trail is beautiful following the creek all the way down the valley. Some nice sites along there too. From Winfield Scott, you can take the Jarrard Gap trail back up to the AT... at Jarrard gap and turn back NOBO.

max patch
04-19-2012, 15:32
If you don't mind crossing over the border a bit into NC there is the Standing Indian loop which is a nice hike. About 15 miles W of Franklin. Here's a writeup that does a pretty good job of describing it. There are ways you can make this a bit longer that involve backtracking:

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=539275