PDA

View Full Version : anyone use the REI Quarterdome tent?

neonshaw
04-19-2012, 21:37
I am curious has this tent and what you think of it.

I have a 6 moons single layer silnylon tent and it works pretty well but condenses to much on the inside. I saw the REI QD on a recent trip and it looked like a good but slightly heavier option. Curious about how waterproof it is, weight, etc....

Sailing_Faith
04-19-2012, 21:45
Mine is pretty new, I have maybe 10-12 nights in it so I am not an expert. It is dry, and not too tough to pitch. I have slept in it in heavy winds and driving rain and did not have any water inside (but did have a flood one other night but that was my hydration bladder, not the tent).

Tough to go wrong with REI, if you get it and you are not happy you can take it back....

FWIW, I am not taking mine back.

neonshaw
04-19-2012, 21:53
I have decided I want a tent with a fly. I like 1.5 lb tents but those are single layer. I am resolved to having to carry 2.5 lbs +/- for a tent with a fly

chip2012
04-19-2012, 22:18
http://www.lightheartgear.com

skinewmexico
04-20-2012, 02:04
I have a Quarterdome T3 that is a very nice, but heavy, 2 person tent. I don't like it nearly as much as my new (double wall) Tarptent Stratosphire 2. You'll get just as much condensation in a Quarterdome, you just have a layer of mesh to (hopefully) divert it. Site selection is the key.

Hiking Man
04-20-2012, 08:07
I have the quarterdome t2 and carried it for years. Great tent and i really loved it, I just got the lightheart gear duo and i am not sure if the quarterdome will see any more action. The lightheart at over 50oz lighter and almost twice as much room inside the tent its hard for the quarterdome to stack up to that. Also i have had the lightheart duo on in some crazy stoms and it held up great. It does blow around a little more the the quearterdome did, but i never felt it was going to fall in. Happy tent hunting.

Tom Murphy
04-20-2012, 09:37
I have the 2012 REI QTR dome. The one with the assymtretical floor layout. The older models are a coffin, just a bit two narrow and too short. The new layout provides a significant improvement.

However, it is not free standing. The pole design saves weight and allows a generous amount of head room but four corners of the tent have to be staked out to achieeve a flat floor. If not staked out, one corne rides up and our bagg/pad would be what holds it down.

Set it up in the store and you will immediately see what I mean. I still bought it for the weight savings over their solo 1 person tent.

I only have a few nights in it in good weather but I like the side entry and room at the head end of the tent for various sundries.

Lyle
04-20-2012, 09:39
Been around for decades. I like to see this old gear modernized instead of eliminated. Original Quarter Dome and Half Dome were popular when I first started backpacking in the 70's.

Moose2001
04-20-2012, 14:13
Good tent. Used it for a number of bike trips. Sure wouldn't want to load it in my backpack though!

folkxrock
04-20-2012, 14:31
The store manager talked me in to the Passage 2 (from the QD2). It's a great tent and I paid $135 with a 15% off coupon. Hard to beat that price. I think you can buy it cheaper when it's on sale.
I like the simple pole design on the passage 2.

House of Payne
04-20-2012, 14:31
Mine is pretty new, I have maybe 10-12 nights in it so I am not an expert. It is dry, and not too tough to pitch. I have slept in it in heavy winds and driving rain and did not have any water inside (but did have a flood one other night but that was my hydration bladder, not the tent).

Tough to go wrong with REI, if you get it and you are not happy you can take it back....

FWIW, I am not taking mine back.

I have to agree with most of the things said here as well, I have the same tent. It works for me and my son when we do anything less than say 5 days, but its anything but a lightweight tent. And the other good thing with REI is you can take it back and get a full refund if your not happy with it.

bflorac
04-20-2012, 23:49
I have quarterdome T2. I carry it AT section hiking with my daughter but since we are odd and tend to use the shelter it has not had a lot of use. But when I have used it, it is easy to set up and I have had no complaints.

Before I started hiking with my daughter, I used (and still have) a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1. It still weighs 3 lbs (less foot print) but I really like it because, like the QTR it has vestibule which I find handy when it rains (I also keep my pack there sometimes)

RedBeerd
04-21-2012, 21:16
In the end I traded my T1 for a big agnes fly creek ul1. Much happier.