PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair to Standing Bear section Questions.

flemdawg1
04-20-2012, 12:13
Alright I'm taking my wife out for a section from Winding Stair Gap to Standing Bear Farm the 1st week of June.

NOC:
The NOC website said something about different rooms in the hostel/basecamp area. Can a couple get a private room at the hostel rate? What lodging option would YOU reccomend?
Anyone do a half-day raft trip then leave that afternoon? If not, is it worth the extra lodging (and dining) night?

Fontana:
According to my planned itenerary (which I fully realize is subject to change immediately after enemy contact) the mileage into Fontana Dam area is only about 6.5 miles. I'm planning a maildrop. Anybody successfully get into Fantana Village PO and back to the trail and up to Birch Spring Gap campsite in GSMNP? (12.5 mile day w/ a town stop)
It seems the Hike Inn and Fontana Lodge are simialrly priced and both offer shuttles and mail drop holding. Should I consider of one these(which one?), just stay in the Fontana Hilton (hard to pass up a free shower) or hike on?

GSMNP & Gatlinburg:
Looks like about 6-nights from Fontana to SBF. Anybody ever hear of a hiker getting in trouble for getting off track on their shelter reservations (i.e. going on to the next shelter ahead of schedule)?
There looks to be a giftshop/ranger station now at Clingmans Dome, so I might try to call ahead for a shuttle pickup at Newfouind Gap. Is there a pay phone or cell service? If not, can you borrow the ranger's phone to make a tollfree call?
Gran Prix looks to be the default hiker hotel and they offer a shuttle (how much does that costs?). Any other reccomendations? Anybody ever flag down the Cherokee Transit bus for a ride?

flemdawg1
04-20-2012, 14:50
Ya'll don't have answer all the questions at once, now.

Don't be shy. ;)

moldy
04-20-2012, 17:25
No private rooms in the NOC hostel Private rooms are available at the hotel, pretty cheap though.
They do have half day trip that is worth it and you can start hiking later that same day.

I would just stay at the Fontana Hilton and go into the Village for the mail and a hot dog.

At the dam, fill out your back country permit. Write "thru-hiker" on it. That will make your "intrnded shelter or camp locations" notional. (it gives them a hint in case they need to find you) So you will be treated as a thru-hiker and can stay in any shelter you want, no mater what your original intention was. This is not a reservation.
Why not take the bus to Gatlinburg from Newfound gap? It is also easy to get a hitch by talking to some of the hundreds of people in the parking lot at Newfound Gap.

MuddyWaters
04-20-2012, 18:04
Im just remembering from a few yrs back, but I think the raft trips there are wussy. The good ones are from their remote bases on rivers like the ocoee (2hrs) and the chattooga (1.5 hrs) away

A couple can get a cabin with a 2 night minimum.

Cookerhiker
04-20-2012, 18:51
...I would just stay at the Fontana Hilton and go into the Village for the mail and a hot dog.

At the dam, fill out your back country permit. Write "thru-hiker" on it. That will make your "intrnded shelter or camp locations" notional. (it gives them a hint in case they need to find you) So you will be treated as a thru-hiker and can stay in any shelter you want, no mater what your original intention was. This is not a reservation.
Why not take the bus to Gatlinburg from Newfound gap? It is also easy to get a hitch by talking to some of the hundreds of people in the parking lot at Newfound Gap.

Yes, no, yes.

Fontana Hilton is a good place to stay after retrieving your maildrop.

Do not fill out the form stating that you're a "thruhiker" because you're not - unless you change your plans and hike all the way to Allen Gap north of Hot Springs. I know it can be a PITA but try to stick to your reservations.

Hitching or yogiing a ride from Newfound Gap is the best way to get to Gatlinburg.

Kerosene
04-21-2012, 10:20
12.5 mile day with town stop: I'm going to guess that this would be a very big day for the two of you, which would also include a pretty significant climb from the Dam to the Shuckstack Firetower late in the day. Certainly doable if you can limit your town stay to 2-3 hours. I seem to recall that the Birch Spring Campsite was also well of the AT.

I'd go with Hike Inn. Jeff and Nancy know a ton about the area and were extremely helpful to my daughter and I on our hike; and then again last Fall on my GSMNP section hike. Hike Inn is several miles outside Fontana, but they will also typically drive you into Robbinsville, which has a lot more services and restaurants.

There will be a lot of people reserving shelters the first week of June, and I know that there is a ridgerunner (or two) during that time who may verify reservations. As you're not allowed to tent outside designated areas, skipping ahead (or falling behind) means that you run the risk of not having a space at the shelter that night.

Praha4
04-21-2012, 11:05
Alright I'm taking my wife out for a section from Winding Stair Gap to Standing Bear Farm the 1st week of June.

NOC:
The NOC website said something about different rooms in the hostel/basecamp area. Can a couple get a private room at the hostel rate? What lodging option would YOU reccomend?
Anyone do a half-day raft trip then leave that afternoon? If not, is it worth the extra lodging (and dining) night?

Fontana:
According to my planned itenerary (which I fully realize is subject to change immediately after enemy contact) the mileage into Fontana Dam area is only about 6.5 miles. I'm planning a maildrop. Anybody successfully get into Fantana Village PO and back to the trail and up to Birch Spring Gap campsite in GSMNP? (12.5 mile day w/ a town stop)
It seems the Hike Inn and Fontana Lodge are simialrly priced and both offer shuttles and mail drop holding. Should I consider of one these(which one?), just stay in the Fontana Hilton (hard to pass up a free shower) or hike on?

GSMNP & Gatlinburg:
Looks like about 6-nights from Fontana to SBF. Anybody ever hear of a hiker getting in trouble for getting off track on their shelter reservations (i.e. going on to the next shelter ahead of schedule)?
There looks to be a giftshop/ranger station now at Clingmans Dome, so I might try to call ahead for a shuttle pickup at Newfouind Gap. Is there a pay phone or cell service? If not, can you borrow the ranger's phone to make a tollfree call?
Gran Prix looks to be the default hiker hotel and they offer a shuttle (how much does that costs?). Any other reccomendations? Anybody ever flag down the Cherokee Transit bus for a ride?

1. NOC: I stayed in the NOC hostel/bunkhouse on my hike in 2010, and it was great. They have separate male and female hostel bunkhouses, not sure how they work it for couples, but they do rent out cabins there. It's a great place to stay, eat, resupply, etc. You could feasibly do the half day rafting trip, but if it was me, I would come back later to do the rafting trip when it wouldn't delay the hiking schedule. The rafting trips are very busy in the summer time, the place is packed.

2. Fontana: lots of options there. I stayed at the Lodge one night and it was fantastic. You can call the lodge from the marina AT hiker phone, which is located on the wall of the rest rooms bldg where the AT crosses the road at the Fontana marina. They operate a shuttle van all day from the lodge to the marina and the dam, I think it was a nominal fee to get a ride, maybe $2 pp. I also had a maildrop at the Fonatana post office, but I'm not sure its really necessary anymore, just for hiker food and supplies, the Fontana general store now has a decent selection of hiker food and basic supplies, they are now stocked by the NOC Outfitter store. It is a tough climb from the Fontana Dam up to Shuckstack and further north. I left the Dam around 11 a.m. and made it to Russell Field Shelter by dark when I hiked in early May 2010, but it was a tough climb.

3. GSMNP/Gatlinburg/Newfound Gap: if you are not a thru hiker, u need to stick to your shelter reservations. They do have ridge runners who come thru and check. The new NOC Outpost store in Gatlinburg was running a twice daily shuttle from Gatlinburg to Newfound Gap. It's free too. You can also hitch into town, its easy to get a ride, Newfound Gap is packed with tourists. Cell signal should not be a problem along the ridgelines in the Park, as long as it's Verizon or AT&T. I've heard that Grand Prix runs a shuttle also, but not familiar with it, its probably very reasonable if its a Ronnie Haven run biz.

good luck

Chaco Taco
04-21-2012, 19:45
NOC, bunk rooms, cheap
Fontana, there is a shuttle that runs from the shelter to the village. Cost a couple of bucks. There are places to stay in the village, seems a little pricey to me. Yea there is a stipulation to the rule of thru hiking shelter thing. I think you have to be coming in or going beyond the park 40-50 miles away on foot to be a "thru hiker"

And when did Ron Haven buy the Grand Prix? Unless I have just been out of the loop, I don't think he owns the Grand Prix http://www.grandprixmotel.com/hikershuttle.html

flemdawg1
04-21-2012, 20:16
Thinking about stopping short of NOC the first night to save some cash (but may go take a shower and bring back a burger to the shelter). Do a rafting trip, resupply, spend the night (or not) then leave.

Looks like the Fontana Hilton may be our stop. Shower+ free=winner!

Looks like the NOC-Gatlinburg stops shuttling in May. But sevral other options remain, including flagging down the Cherokee Transport Bus and hitching.

Still not sold on Gran Prix, the reviews on Tripadvisor are really bad. Any other place that somewhat hiker friendly and has a laundry room?

What was the latest hiker rate for the Gran Prix?

Chaco Taco
04-21-2012, 20:24
Thinking about stopping short of NOC the first night to save some cash (but may go take a shower and bring back a burger to the shelter). Do a rafting trip, resupply, spend the night (or not) then leave.

Looks like the Fontana Hilton may be our stop. Shower+ free=winner!

Looks like the NOC-Gatlinburg stops shuttling in May. But sevral other options remain, including flagging down the Cherokee Transport Bus and hitching.

Still not sold on Gran Prix, the reviews on Tripadvisor are really bad. Any other place that somewhat hiker friendly and has a laundry room?

What was the latest hiker rate for the Gran Prix?
Pretty big drop from the shelter to NOC. The climb back would be a doozy.
Dont rely on trip advisor for AT places. The Grand Prix is fine, and they will shuttle you.
AND where is there a shower at Fontana Shelter?
Also there are plenty of people that can do shuttles. Do you have a guidebook? All of this info is in there!

flemdawg1
04-21-2012, 21:02
Pretty big drop from the shelter to NOC. The climb back would be a doozy.
Dont rely on trip advisor for AT places. The Grand Prix is fine, and they will shuttle you.
AND where is there a shower at Fontana Shelter?
Also there are plenty of people that can do shuttles. Do you have a guidebook? All of this info is in there!

According to the Cpmpanion the shower is in the visitor center, there's photos of a bathhouse in the gallery here.
Purusing the threads here on WB, it seems that the major selling point of the GP was proximity to Happy Hiker, and laundry facilities. HH is closed, and nearly everyone has a W/D, what's the selling point now? As far as TripAdvisor, its one thing to be called a dump (lots of those in G'burg), its another to be 84 of 91. Plus this is probably the only hotel night on the whole trip, and I'm taking my wife. Gotta make it count. :banana

moldy
04-21-2012, 22:41
The shower is a few yards up from Fontana Shelter about a half mile from the visitor center.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2012, 22:45
The shower is a few yards up from Fontana Shelter about a half mile from the visitor center.
Ok, I had forgotten about those. They are actually nice showers.

Chaco Taco
04-21-2012, 22:46
According to the Cpmpanion the shower is in the visitor center, there's photos of a bathhouse in the gallery here.
Purusing the threads here on WB, it seems that the major selling point of the GP was proximity to Happy Hiker, and laundry facilities. HH is closed, and nearly everyone has a W/D, what's the selling point now? As far as TripAdvisor, its one thing to be called a dump (lots of those in G'burg), its another to be 84 of 91. Plus this is probably the only hotel night on the whole trip, and I'm taking my wife. Gotta make it count. :banana

I hear ya:-?

judypudy
04-22-2012, 08:18
Regarding rafting trip at NOC - yes very wussy but so relaxing. Hiked to the NOC for lunch, then took an afternoon rafting trip. After feeling so gravity bound from hiking, it was so lovely to float and be cooled off. Also to look up at the mountains and think - I don't have to climb any of those for the rest of the day.
I think doing a rafting trip in the am and then hiking out might be kind of a drag, though.

In 2009 I ended my section in Gatlinburg and took Cherokee transit from Newfound Gap $5.
http://www.cherokeetransit.com/

This year I'm starting my section at Newfound Gap and getting a shuttle from A Walk in the Woods. For Gatlinburg, they recommended the Hilton Garden Inn or the Bearskin Lodge. I was considering the Hilton (~$130) because a co-worker had stayed there for spring break with her family and recommended it. Then I realized I could use my free night from hotels.com and decided on the Quality Inn Creekside.

Have fun!

flemdawg1
04-23-2012, 15:31
Regarding rafting trip at NOC - yes very wussy but so relaxing. Hiked to the NOC for lunch, then took an afternoon rafting trip. After feeling so gravity bound from hiking, it was so lovely to float and be cooled off. Also to look up at the mountains and think - I don't have to climb any of those for the rest of the day.
I think doing a rafting trip in the am and then hiking out might be kind of a drag, though.

In 2009 I ended my section in Gatlinburg and took Cherokee transit from Newfound Gap $5.
http://www.cherokeetransit.com/

This year I'm starting my section at Newfound Gap and getting a shuttle from A Walk in the Woods. For Gatlinburg, they recommended the Hilton Garden Inn or the Bearskin Lodge. I was considering the Hilton (~$130) because a co-worker had stayed there for spring break with her family and recommended it. Then I realized I could use my free night from hotels.com and decided on the Quality Inn Creekside.

Have fun!

Would you reccomend a duck rental over a raft trip then. I pretty much grew up paddling and have done class2 in canoes before.

How close to schedule did the CT bus run? Looks like they pass NFG heading north 3x/day.

Those rooms are abit out of my price range, but thanks.

flemdawg1
04-23-2012, 15:38
oops, the Cherokee Transit bus only runs Tues-sat, I think I'll be heading down on Sunday.

Chaco Taco
04-23-2012, 16:20
Would you reccomend a duck rental over a raft trip then. I pretty much grew up paddling and have done class2 in canoes before.

How close to schedule did the CT bus run? Looks like they pass NFG heading north 3x/day.

Those rooms are abit out of my price range, but thanks.
If you guys have a car, there is a great place in Waynesville. I know thats not Gatvegas, but do you really want to stay in that? The Smoky Mountain Inn is nice and not terribly expensive, I think it was $89 a night for a double. Clean, pool close to downtown Waynesville.

flemdawg1
04-23-2012, 16:22
My car is going to be at Standing Bear.

bigcranky
04-23-2012, 19:42
Hey, flemdawg,

You got some good suggestions. I have a more serious one: park your car at Standing Bear, get on the trail, and hike Southbound, starting with the Smokies. Here's why:

1. Reservations. You need them for the Smokies, and you'll have to stick to a very specific schedule to get there on the right day if you start at Winding Stair Gap. That sort of thing drives me crazy on the trail - the last thing I want to worry about is having to be in a certain place on a certain day. Flexibility on the trail is huge.

2. Shuttles. As I've noted in some other threads, I keep learning the same lesson over and over again -- park at the start location and get the shuttle at the end. I learn this by having to pay for two shuttles - someone gets sick or injured, and I need another $200 shuttle....ugh. It's easy enough to arrange with a shuttle provider like Curtis to come get you on a certain day, with the final location left up in the air until you call a few days before. (This goes along with th flexibility thing.)

Have a great hike. It's a nice time of year to be on the Trail in the South.

flemdawg1
04-24-2012, 08:13
If you guys have a car, there is a great place in Waynesville. I know thats not Gatvegas, but do you really want to stay in that? The Smoky Mountain Inn is nice and not terribly expensive, I think it was $89 a night for a double. Clean, pool close to downtown Waynesville.

Since you like the south side, I found this little gem of a place just off the BRP between Maggie Valley and Cherokee. Stayed there last fall.
http://campmilehigh.com/Info.html

BC,I'll consider it, just not really crazy about having to wait for a ride or having to deal with getting a cell signal to arrange one. I guess I could call from NOC though. So should I still park at SBF or should I road walk up from Big Creek RS.

bigcranky
04-24-2012, 09:21
BC,I'll consider it, just not really crazy about having to wait for a ride or having to deal with getting a cell signal to arrange one. I guess I could call from NOC though. So should I still park at SBF or should I road walk up from Big Creek RS.

Either parking place is fine, though I do like leaving my car at SBF because I feel like someone is keeping an eye on it. (Not sure that's necessarily better, of course.) Starting at SBF gives you a few extra miles of hiking before you hit the park, but that's not a big deal either.

I understand the not wanting to wait for a ride. That's why I keep re-learning this particular lesson. There's just something appealing about hiking back to your car and being done. But my experience has been that we don't always make it back to the car, for whatever reason, and even when we do, there's a not-so-subtle push about the number of miles I have to make every day to get there on time. That's fine for a weekend hike, or even a week, but for a longer hike what I value over everything else is the freedom and flexibility to just hike as far as I want to on any given day, and end up wherever I am when I'm done hiking.

By the time you get to NOC you'll know exactly how fast you are hiking and when you'll want to be picked up. You can call for the shuttle and make definite arrangements. Yeah, that puts some deadline pressure back on for the last few days, but it's only for a short time, and you'll be in a better position to estimate your arrival time. And if you end up hiking longer days, you can get picked up further south. If you end up hiking shorter days, you can get picked up at NOC. If someone gets massive, hike-ending blisters (like my daughter on our first long section), you need only the one shuttle.

Don't discount the reservation thing in the Smokies, either . You'll need to have your hike very carefully planned, and hit that plan every day.

Anyway, just something to consider. Good luck and have a great hike.

flemdawg1
05-01-2012, 09:35
Just made my reservations for June 1 thru 6th SOBO thru the Smokies. Thanks for the help everyone.