PDA

View Full Version : Need help with creative itinerary for July 1 start...

kstotes
04-20-2012, 13:59
My contract with my job runs out on June 30th so we cannot start until July 1. Given that restriction we were trying to find the most climactic way to finish the AT. Of course Katahdin is that place. However with a July 1 start date I cannot think of a way to finish on Katahdin without breaking into Baxter SP Rambo-style ("all I wanted was something to eat").

With that we were trying to think of other ways to plan our hike for a July 1, 2013 start date. We would be willing to take any number of flights, train rides, chicken-buses to make it happen. The facts in play are that we live an hour from Harper's Ferry and have family in GA as well as right on the AT in Peekskill, NY. Here are the ideas we are entertaining:

1. Start and Stop on Bear Mountain Bridge, NY- NOBO to Maine then NOBO Springer back to NY
2. Start and Stop in Harpers Ferry- NOBO to Maine then NOBO Springer to Harper's Ferry

We've pretty much ruled out SOBO because we are new to backpacking and don't feel confident we will have the legs for New England straight away. Plus the SMNP in November does not sound fun.

Any one have other ideas for arranging an itinerary so the final terminus is a really significant spot that the mere thought of will drive us on mile after mile for 5 months?

Moose2001
04-20-2012, 14:07
I'd go with option 2 EXCEPT, I'd go south out of Harpers Ferry. That way you are hiking toward warmer weather instead of toward colder weather. Yeah, Smokies in Nov could be cold but so could Shenadoah in Nov!

yellowsirocco
04-20-2012, 14:35
I have seen some pretty unprepared people start SOBO. New England really isn't that bad if you take your time and don't try to kill yourself. If you can make it up and down Katahdin and do the 100 mile wilderness then it is gravy from there. The 100 mile wilderness is mostly long and not that mountainous too.

Spirit Walker
04-20-2012, 21:42
Why not just do a straightforward SOBO hike? Much simpler, and you're probably more likely to do the whole trail.

map man
04-20-2012, 22:26
Since you are worried that your inexperience might limit your options I would suggest that between now and July 2013 you get yourself some equipment and do some shake-down backpacking trips, even if they are as short as two or three days (a long weekend). You'll be much better prepared when the time comes.

And yes, July 1 is a very good time to start a straight-forward SOBO thru-hike. Finishing at Springer would be plenty climactic, I would think.

singing wind
04-20-2012, 23:40
You'll know what's right for you. +1 to map man. Being that close to the trail now offers some really good opportunities to get out and begin to learn what works and doesn't work for you.
As for having a "destination" and big finish to keep you motivated for 5 months, take the time to enjoy each and every day as much as you can.

oldbear
04-20-2012, 23:57
Start a new SOBO tradition by camping out at Chimney Pond
Taking a full pack up the Hamlin Ridge Trail to Baxter Peak and then down the AT
It's a long But doable day

kstotes
04-21-2012, 08:54
Thanks everyone! I think my interest in piecing together an atypical itinerary came from reading the ATC info about different routes. They mention a few alternatives that essentially put you in the best weather, the least bugs, and the best foliage the entire trip. Once we realized Katahdin was done as a goal it just seemed from there that we should start at the drawing board and come up with a plan that would allow us to enjoy as much of the trail as possible.

Everyone seems to really value the traditional uni-directional, thru-hike. Any reasons why this is the best?

Blissful
04-22-2012, 18:05
Nothing wrong with going SOBO and finishing at Springer - very climactic after 2000 plus miles. You can do the NE mtns no issue (my hubby did to Andover completely overweight). Will get cold and possible snow no matter where you finish.

Papa D
04-22-2012, 18:38
SOBOS are a proud little clan - July would be the perfect time to start - yes, you'll have to dodge November and maybe early December snow in TN / NC but you'll fall in with "your class" of thru-hikers -- don't underestimate yourself - start slow and steady - you'll pick up the miles and enjoy the New England autumn so much, you'll forget how hard it is. I say go for a SOBO.