PDA

View Full Version : air core sleeping pads

House of Payne
04-20-2012, 14:59
started to do some research on lightweight air core style pads. I have come to like the Therm-a-rest Neoair XLlite, very lite and will accomodate 72" without a huge weight gain. I also looked at Big Agnes, they have a couple air core type pads but the weight was about 5 or 6 oz more than the therm-a-rest. Does anyone have any experience with either of these? and any other brands to see? thanks HOP

Sugarfoot
04-20-2012, 15:17
I have owned both, and both are remarkably comfortable. Neither is self-inflating but I never have found that to be a problem. The Big Agnes is a little wider, which while nice, wasn't worth the extra weight. One trick with the Neoair is not to over-inflate it. It's actually a little more comfortable that way. Mine is three years old now, probably used a total of 15 weeks. I protect it in the Thermarest stuff sack and I think that helps. I find that a two-stage roll-up in the morning is the easiest way to get it back to the small size. Roll it once to express most of the air and then fold in in thirds length-wise and roll it tightly.

House of Payne
04-20-2012, 15:33
So the Neo air is a little more comfortable not quite fully inflated. You would choose the Therm-a-rest over BA?

flemdawg1
04-20-2012, 15:40
I've returned 5 BA Air Core pads due to leaks. I'm done with them.

V Eight
04-20-2012, 16:02
I got an x-lite 2 - 3 weeks ago, and have only have 3 nights on it so far.
I like it a lot very comfortable. As mentioned above I blow it clear up, then
let just a little air out. One word of warning, this is not your old NeoAir.
the material this is made from is almost see through. You will have to be
careful not to let it get punctured.

House of Payne
04-20-2012, 18:38
Tiquer, I understand they are like 12 oz or so but how small does it pack up?

chip2012
04-20-2012, 19:36
Ihave had both. The b.a. was a nice pad but had a problem with it leaking air. The neo air is a lot thinner and lighter but gets its warmth from the inner reflective materials. Not as comfortable as the B.A. b/c of the lose of loft but surprisingly comfortable and warm. I would go with the neo.

V Eight
04-21-2012, 08:49
Tiquer, I understand they are like 12 oz or so but how small does it pack up?

Mine weighs 12.88 oz with included sack and packs down to cylinder 7 1/2" tall x 4" wide.

If I can figure out how to get it in my budget, I would like to get one of them Go-Lite
Adrenaline 800 (short) bags that have been reduced in price. That would put my total
sleep system to under 2 1/2lbs
:banana

V Eight
04-21-2012, 08:52
Forgot to tell you that mine is a regular size.

Mr. Bumpy
04-21-2012, 14:15
I've used both BA Core and a couple of different neo-air pads and and have mostly happy with them, except blowing the dang things up can set off my asthma cough/hack, and that is a hassle. So, I just got I just got an exped synmat7 which has a built in pump. (The UL version does not have the pump). I tried it last weekend at Mr. Rogers. Inflating it looks like you are doing cpr to the thing which is comical, but it takes less than 100 pumps to inflate which equals about 2 minutes. In the time it took my friend to blow up his BA pad I had the exped inflated, my sleeping bag out, and a liter of water boiling. I've used several pads over the years and the exped is more comfortable than anything else and is great for a side sleeper. It looks well constructed and durable, and it is not that muck bigger or heavier than other inflatables. I'm thinking this will be my go to pad for some time to come. Exped is not cheap, but I used my rep dividend and coupon and got the cost down to $70.

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 17:22
I've used both BA Core and a couple of different Noe-air pads and and have mostly happy with them, except blowing the dang things up can set off my asthma cough/hack, and that is a hassle. So, I just got I just got an exped synmat7 which has a built in pump. (The UL version does not have the pump). I tried it last weekend at Mr. Rogers. Inflating it looks like you are doing cpr to the thing which is comical, but it takes less than 100 pumps to inflate which equals about 2 minutes. In the time it took my friend to blow up his BA pad I had the exped inflated, my sleeping bag out, and a liter of water boiling. I've used several pads over the years and the exped is more comfortable than anything else and is great for a side sleeper. It looks well constructed and durable, and it is not that muck bigger or heavier than other inflatables. I'm thinking this will be my go to pad for some time to come. Exped is not cheap, but I used my rep dividend and coupon and got the cost down to $70.In the time you have done all that,I will have Insta flated my bag,boiled and had lunch,done my laundry,and taken an afternoon nap.http://themillair.com/:DOf coarse i'm am kidding,but liked your CPR metaphor.

Bloomer
04-21-2012, 19:09
I've used both BA Core and a couple of different neo-air pads and and have mostly happy with them, except blowing the dang things up can set off my asthma cough/hack, and that is a hassle. So, I just got I just got an exped synmat7 which has a built in pump. (The UL version does not have the pump). I tried it last weekend at Mr. Rogers. Inflating it looks like you are doing cpr to the thing which is comical, but it takes less than 100 pumps to inflate which equals about 2 minutes. In the time it took my friend to blow up his BA pad I had the exped inflated, my sleeping bag out, and a liter of water boiling. I've used several pads over the years and the exped is more comfortable than anything else and is great for a side sleeper. It looks well constructed and durable, and it is not that muck bigger or heavier than other inflatables. I'm thinking this will be my go to pad for some time to come. Exped is not cheap, but I used my rep dividend and coupon and got the cost down to $70.

I have to agree that the Exped pad is the most comfortable pad I have ever owned. Returned my BA Ins Air Core and I will never look back. Got the Exped UL 7 Long + wide and it comes in at 20.9 oz. Still weighs less that a BA Air Core Mummy long! Also, it is much easier to blow up. May have to look into Exped insulated pads next.

House of Payne
04-25-2012, 16:34
The daily blowup should not be a problem for me, it's all about weight and comfort. I can see saving a little bit of setup time when staying at shelters or hostels with not having to pitch the tent.

Razorback
04-25-2012, 18:55
I also agree that the Exped 7 UL represents the best combination of light weight and durability. It is quieter than the Neoair, less of that "crinkly" sound when shifting weight. Exped makes a manual Mini pump for their mats, which cuts inflation time down to about 90 seconds, and also keeps down moisture condensation inside the mat.

dornstar
04-26-2012, 12:30
Although I'm extremely weight conscious, I just went to the new BA Q-Core and I am in love with it. The gold standard of pads IMO, but it comes at a cost of 25 ounces.

Blissful
04-26-2012, 13:12
I like my neo air MUCH better than BA, and I have used both extensively. Can't beat the weight either.

dornstar
04-26-2012, 21:11
I like my neo air MUCH better than BA, and I have used both extensively. Can't beat the weight either.
I liked my Neo Air better than my BA Air Core, but not better than the new BA Q-Core... but it is quite a bit heavier.