PDA

View Full Version : Back pack adjusting

Samson
04-20-2012, 18:47
I just got my new summer pack in (kelty trekker 65) and it took me forever to get it adjusted right. How long does it take everyone else to get their packs just right or close enough, not counting on trail adjusting as you go?

kayak karl
04-20-2012, 19:02
for me it was not how to adjust the pack (that was easy), but how to PACK the pack. took me two weeks on the trail.

Samson
04-20-2012, 19:06
I do the same thing. Sometimes I wonder if it would just be easier to put everything in a very large wheeled cooler and drag it along lol.

Hawkwind61
04-20-2012, 19:26
I have the Trekker 64...it took me a couple times of packing and wearing it partly loaded before I got it set to where I was comfortable.

I swapped back to external frame after trying to adjust to an internal frame...just could not get comfy...much happier with an external frame again.

P-Train
04-20-2012, 19:40
I re- adjust as I hike. Different terrain, more or less weight as I go, later in the day needs.

stranger
04-20-2012, 19:48
Pack fitting is counter-intuitive...I would have someone look at it who knows what they are doing. Chances are it has been set up wrong but if you don't know what to look for you wouldn't know this. Pack fitting can be fairly complex depending on the pack and person wearing it. How would you know if it's set up correctly? What are you looking for? How do you know you are in the right frame size? Etc... It's always good to get a skilled set of eyes on it while you are wearing - if possible. If not read the pack instructions and do your best.

Samson
04-20-2012, 22:30
Pack fitting is counter-intuitive...I would have someone look at it who knows what they are doing. Chances are it has been set up wrong but if you don't know what to look for you wouldn't know this. Pack fitting can be fairly complex depending on the pack and person wearing it. How would you know if it's set up correctly? What are you looking for? How do you know you are in the right frame size? Etc... It's always good to get a skilled set of eyes on it while you are wearing - if possible. If not read the pack instructions and do your best.

thanks for the tip...... good thing my cat was here to tell me what he thought..... this is not my first rodeo

stranger
04-22-2012, 19:22
thanks for the tip...... good thing my cat was here to tell me what he thought..... this is not my first rodeo

You're the one who asked the question mate

Spokes
04-22-2012, 21:34
Good question Samson.

I often wonder if Lewis and Clark, Daniel Boone, or Grandma Gatewood ever encountered the same problems?

rocketsocks
04-22-2012, 23:48
Good question Samson.

I often wonder if Lewis and Clark, Daniel Boone, or Grandma Gatewood ever encountered the same problems?Sure they did,but they just asked a "Stranger".:Dsorry,couldn't resist.:)

Connie
04-23-2012, 13:39
If the waistbelt and shoulder straps are a comfortable cut and fit, I look for load-lifter straps to adjust the load from shoulders to hip belt and back again while on the trail.

I admit I have got away from heavily loaded backpacks, and so, load-lifter straps are no longer a feature of backpacks I use.

I like to have an up-and-down chest strap adjustment to find a comfortable location for the chest strap.

If there are stays inside the pack, I have the store adjust the bend of the stays or stay-away.

If there are more adjustments, I let the store expert adjust the fit. If no expert and not a good-fit, I might try the store when the pack representatives are there (once a year). If not, I don't need that particular pack.

Connie
04-23-2012, 13:41
I forgot to say, I try on pack loaded, either with weighed sacks provided by the store, or, I bring in the gear I expect to carry. Really. I walk in with a sack full of my gear.

BrianLe
04-23-2012, 19:48
My very unscientific sense for this --- and I'm NOT saying that it necessarily applies to anyone contributing to this thread --- is that folks that tend to talk more about proper pack adjustment are folks that tend to be carrying more weight on their backs. I'm not an ultralight guy myself, but FWIW as my pack weight went down, I found it a lot less important to get pack adjustments "just right".

I suspect that it's a little like picking out the best shoes, however, in that everyone's size + shape + overall dynamics are a little unique. Maybe I'm just lucky in having a more off-the-shelf type of upper body geometry.

Energizer Bunny
04-23-2012, 20:25
I did my first overpm hike this weekend - with my new golite pack. I hated it. It was about 25-30 lbs. my friends helped me make sure i was wearing it right, but after 4 months of day packs - a 25lbs pack sucks. Any ideas?

Connie
04-23-2012, 23:53
I think you need to put that 25 lbs in a number of different packs you put on and walk around a while.

Either walk around the store, looking at other stuff, squat, kneel, take it OFF and ON unassisted, like that. It isn't so much the weight for me, because my gear is lightweight or UL. Nevertheless, I do all that to find a pack I will like.

If you order online, make certain they have a favorable return policy. Leave all the labels on the pack. Keep the box for the RMA, or, be prepared to pay return shipping. Do it all within the time limit the seller allows.

Elder
04-24-2012, 12:25
I did my first overpm hike this weekend - with my new golite pack. I hated it. It was about 25-30 lbs. my friends helped me make sure i was wearing it right, but after 4 months of day packs - a 25lbs pack sucks. Any ideas?

You are in Dahlonega? Go to Mountain Crossings...Neels Gap.

Amanita
04-24-2012, 14:50
I tend to make adjustments every time I go out. My load and body changes at least some between every trip. I even do most of this every morning on the trail, after filling my water, or after stopping in town for resupply. Every time my pack changes I readjust to compensate.

So here's my fancy method:

1. Load everything into the pack.
2. Loosen all the straps. (leave torso the same if adjustable, probably leave load lifters alone)
3. Put pack on, fasten waist belt, tighten. Do a lot of wiggling to settle it onto my hips just right. (start at the shoulders and give everything a few good shakes)
4. Fasten sternum strap, tighten shoulder straps, then tighten sternum strap.
5. Wiggle again and make any final adjustments.
6. If it still doesn't feel "right" I'll take the pack off and repack it, usually focusing on moving the weight closer to my back and the bottom of the pack.

I should point out that my standard method of carry involves most of the weight being on my hips, with an air gap between my shoulders and the pack. This keeps my back nice and cool and I don't have issues with swing or bruised hips or any of that.

MyName1sMud
04-24-2012, 15:01
Good question Samson.

I often wonder if Lewis and Clark, Daniel Boone, or Grandma Gatewood ever encountered the same problems?

Now you're thinking. Haha

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2