PDA

View Full Version : My Hiking Poles and What I Like About Them

kolokolo
04-20-2012, 22:04
After half a lifetime of hiking without poles, I took my first hike with poles last weekend. I thought they were great! Using my arms and upper body really made a difference going up hills, and the poles gave me a lot of stability on the rough Pennsylvania rocks, and also on the downhill sections. I hiked 29 miles with them on Saturday, and they helped a lot.

I went through a lot of grief and soul searching trying to decide which poles to get – aluminum or carbon fiber, single piece or extendable, etc. Finally, I decided to start with a cheap pair and see what was really important by taking some hikes with them. I’ll buy an expensive pair after I have experience and know what works for me.

Here are my poles. They don’t even match! I bought the red one in South Korea (I think I paid 5,000 won, about $5 for it a couple of years ago). I got the green one at Walmart a couple of weeks ago. I guess I’ll hike a few more sections with them, and then get some real ones.

I like having two different poles (one twist-lock, one sort of flick-lock).

What's the most important thing for you about hiking poles?

jakedatc
04-20-2012, 22:20
I have BD carbon flick locks. The flick locks are so much more secure than twist locks. they also have measurement numbers so you can dial in a height you like and remember it (also good for my tarptent height setting)

mostly they save my knees on downhills and help balance on wet stream-like trails and crossings.

MuddyWaters
04-20-2012, 22:24
Poles are indenspensible for difficult terrain.

Crossing deep water with rocky bottom, or rock hopping across deep water, crossing in strong current or simply where you cannot see bottom
Climbing and descending steep slopes
Narrow trail with drop offs on edge
Poision ivy and other plants encroaching on trail that needs to be moved to pass without brushing it

Theosus
04-20-2012, 23:08
Love my poles just from a balance standpoint. Help on uneven ground, going down hills on rocks, and moving stuff out of the way.

bflorac
04-20-2012, 23:16
I have a pair of Leki poles that I love. My favorite thing about these (that I have not been able to find in most other poles) is that I can keep the straps loose going uphill or let my hand slid down a bit on the grip and let the strap support the bottom of my wrist. At this exact length, I can then, when going down hill flip my wrist over and palm the tops of the poles on step descents, supporting my weight. I can do this with just a flick of the wrist without letting go of the pole for for more than a split second all while the strap is still around my wrist. I don't even think about it any longer.

Big Dawg
04-21-2012, 00:38
I have BD carbon flick locks. The flick locks are so much more secure than twist locks. they also have measurement numbers so you can dial in a height you like and remember it (also good for my tarptent height setting)

mostly they save my knees on downhills and help balance on wet stream-like trails and crossings.

ditto.................

BobW
04-21-2012, 07:55

I was considering getting rid of my 15 year old Leki and thought flick lock was the way to go. After walking around REI for 20 minutes with my pole in one hand and a flick lock in the other here is my 2 cents. The flick locks are noticeably heavier than my current poles (Rei had a scale and they were 2oz more) and are much bulkier near the locks. Sorry I cannot remember the brand I tried. My Leki had better shock absorption than the flick locks - that may be because they have high milage on them.

In the 15 years of pole hiking, I have had a couple issues with twist lock on my Leki not being tightened properly but it was definitely my error not a pole issue. I am constantly adjusting my pole longer on climbs shorter on descents. I took a pretty good fall once and since then I take the extra time to test the pole after adjusting.

Sounds like this post is going to be a definite "go with what feels comfortable" thread

Lyle
04-21-2012, 08:52
PacerPoles - unique grip makes them much more efficient and easier/more comfortable to use. The absolute best for downhill stability.

Not Sunshine
04-21-2012, 09:01
Mine are black diamond. They have real cork handles that are at a slight forward angle (less bending of my wrist). Whenever I hike without poles, my palms swell and are painful...therefore, I never leave home without them. [they live in the trunk of my car year-round].

jakedatc
04-21-2012, 09:13
I was considering getting rid of my 15 year old Leki and thought flick lock was the way to go. After walking around REI for 20 minutes with my pole in one hand and a flick lock in the other here is my 2 cents. The flick locks are noticeably heavier than my current poles (Rei had a scale and they were 2oz more) and are much bulkier near the locks. Sorry I cannot remember the brand I tried. My Leki had better shock absorption than the flick locks - that may be because they have high milage on them.

In the 15 years of pole hiking, I have had a couple issues with twist lock on my Leki not being tightened properly but it was definitely my error not a pole issue. I am constantly adjusting my pole longer on climbs shorter on descents. I took a pretty good fall once and since then I take the extra time to test the pole after adjusting.

Sounds like this post is going to be a definite "go with what feels comfortable" thread

Flick lock will be heavier than the same carbon ones in twist lock by a bit yea. i've never used other carbon twist locks so they feel way lighter than any aluminum pole i've tried so that is all i compare it to :) i had a shock absorbing kind once but don't ever wish i had it.

as i don't use my poles for propulsion i dont have straps on mine at all. i can switch to any grip, stow them, toss them down a real steep part when i need both hands, etc without dealin with the straps. plus it might make up some of that 2 oz ;)

definitely personal preference

jeffmeh
04-21-2012, 09:16
I was a long-time Leki twist-lock user, and was very happy with them until they failed on top of Guyot in the Whites. The twist-lock mechanism was not reapairable, in the field or otherwise (at least without a machine shop). One non field repairable failure in the wrong situation is one too many. Only flick-locks for me at this point. I have BD poles, but I would not hesitate to get a pair of Lekis with the SpeedLocks.

Blue Jay
04-21-2012, 10:46
I was a long-time Leki twist-lock user, and was very happy with them until they failed on top of Guyot in the Whites. The twist-lock mechanism was not reapairable, in the field or otherwise (at least without a machine shop). One non field repairable failure in the wrong situation is one too many. Only flick-locks for me at this point. I have BD poles, but I would not hesitate to get a pair of Lekis with the SpeedLocks.

How much did the helicopter ride down cost?

jeffmeh
04-21-2012, 10:58
How much did the helicopter ride down cost?

Lol. I was fortunate enough to be hiking with my son, who was gracious enough to give one of his poles to his old man, and to make do with one.

BobW
04-21-2012, 15:02

Any pole is field repairable with duct tape!!! Glad to hear it wasn't a med-evac moment!

sweeper
04-21-2012, 15:51
BD are sweet, some models don't have a replaceable tip, so beware. 2 or 3 section, flintlock is bombproof
Liki have easily replaceable tips , 2 or 3 section, -carry an extra internal locking nut which is plastic
Swix (wax) makes xc two section poles that can be had for ~20 bucks end of ski season
used them all, in aluminum, I like BD for winter conditions and have had great luck with Liki 3 section poles year round
3 section poles collapse into a shorter profile for packing

jeffmeh
04-21-2012, 16:02
Any pole is field repairable with duct tape!!! Glad to hear it wasn't a med-evac moment!

The duct tape was not particularly effective at keeping the telescoping assembly from collapsing under heavy force. When I have to jump down and expect to land poles first, a collapsing pole is not helpful. That said, there was never any potential for a helicopter rescue, it just would have been a longer, slower, more painful trip.

SunnyWalker
05-12-2012, 07:37
Yesterday, in a local thrift store I bought a set of carbon ski poles for $3.00 I never had a set of fixed length before. One thing 'bout they won't collapse.

Odd Man Out
05-12-2012, 10:53
Yesterday, in a local thrift store I bought a set of carbon ski poles for $3.00 I never had a set of fixed length before. One thing 'bout they won't collapse.

The last few days I've been hiking through trails in local parks with my wife's cheapo adjustable trekking poles, experimenting with different lengths. My plan is to buy some fixed length poles to avoid the weigh and trouble of adjustable poles. I know you can adjust when going up or down hill, but I have also read that most people don't really want to stop and adjust their poles all the time. I'm definitely in a "Keep it simple" frame of mind right now. The problem is I can't quite seem to decide what length I like best.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2012, 18:22
Yeah, I look at them and take comfort in that they won't collapse. I tested the height and they were perfect. Here is the test for height I was given by an "expert": Turn pole upside dwn with handle end on ground. Grasp the pole just beneath the "basket". Your arm and pole will be at 90 degree angle if it is the "correct height". I ask myself If I will be satisfied with them. Well, I was happy with a pair of Walmart poles. These are definitely cool looking (neat color). The "baskets" are the small ones like hiking poles. I think they'll do the trick.

SunnyWalker
05-15-2012, 18:23
Maybe their is a mkt for use ski poles?