PDA

View Full Version : Duct Tape

Duff
04-21-2012, 05:05
How much duct tape do you carry?

waasj
04-21-2012, 06:01
I have about 3/4 of an inch wrapped around a pencil that I have carried on my hikes for the last 5 Or 6 years. I really don't use a lot of it out there. I find it useful for hot spots and I think I patched up a boot once. I find good cordage is more useful.

Nutbrown
04-21-2012, 06:35
I roll a few feet around a hiking pole. This is for section hikes though.

Lyle
04-21-2012, 07:13

Same here.

Keep in mind, you are only doing a series of section hikes, even if you are a thru-hiker. Plenty of opportunities to buy more and replenish what you carry.

Samson
04-21-2012, 10:46
I used to keep a few wraps around my nalgene until I had a tent pole catastrophe and needed a lot more. Now I carry a flat pack. Weighs about an ounce and has three yards or so on it.

coach lou
04-21-2012, 10:55

Same-Same here

garlic08
04-21-2012, 11:29
A couple of feet in its own roll. I keep it off my trekking pole--why lift it several million times over the course of a long hike?

lunchbx
04-21-2012, 14:06
I got about three of four feet worth wrapped around my knife handle. It serves a dual purpose since my knife has an olive drab handle and is very hard to find if dropped in the middle of the night.

leaftye
04-21-2012, 14:34
I roll it around my pole until it's thick enough to easily loop cord around it to hold up a tarp.

More important I think is the type of duct tape. On my last trip I brought Gorilla Glue Duct Tape. It's very sticky and doesn't seem to creep, but it's too stiff.

WingedMonkey
04-21-2012, 14:48
About 24" wrapped around the film can that holds my sewing needle, a few pins and safety pins, some waxed dental floss, and some nylon thread, and maybe a spare button.

double d
04-21-2012, 15:35
Duck tape is like mothers milk to a hiker, so I just throw a whole SOL brand tape from REI in my backpack and not worry about it (yes, I know, all of my UL friends get mad at this, but its not much tape and its not heavy).

daddytwosticks
04-21-2012, 16:11
How much duct tape do you carry? Too much. Can't remember when I actually needed/used duct tape in the field. I think I have about a foot or so wrapped around my hiking poles...I should take Garlic's advice. :)

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 16:59
The myth busters made a hammock,kayak,tarp,and more,But I don't usually bring that much.

jerseydave
04-21-2012, 17:32
Because of my recent attempt at lightening my load I am now down to 3 rolls.
I find that if I kinda "stack them all together" the center hole in the rolls holds the quart of olive oil perfectly.

jd

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2012, 17:38
Save that for the humor forum:D - honest I don't carry any - I have never used duct tape in 25 years of hiking. I do carry a small amount of electrical tape on the pole - cus its less messy.

garlic08
04-21-2012, 23:39
Too much. Can't remember when I actually needed/used duct tape in the field. I think I have about a foot or so wrapped around my hiking poles...I should take Garlic's advice. :)

Another good question for this forum would be, "How much duct tape have you actually used on a thru hike?" I've never used more than a foot total. On the AT I made a few patches for my trash compactor bag pack liner and fixed one small tear in the pack itself. The only time I used more than a few inches at a time, on any hike, was to make a major repair on a spinnaker cloth pack I tried once. Spinnaker was a mistake. The duct tape worked great, though. I always carry it in my first aid kit.

Feral Bill
04-21-2012, 23:44
Don't carry it. Never missed it.

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2012, 00:28
See FB we can agree on a few things...:D:banana

Nutbrown
04-22-2012, 12:05
The times I've used it, nothing else would do, and we would have been up a creek without it. 1. my feet sweat and would blister when I wore boots. Band aids would slide off. The tape was the only thing that worked. Not even sport tape would hold. 2. My friend's sole came mostly off her boot. She had a duct tape shoe for the rest of the section, but worked fine.

Feral Bill
04-22-2012, 12:58
See FB we can agree on a few things...:D:banana Quite a few, I expect.

Seeker
04-28-2012, 22:40
about 3 feet if hiking (way more if canoeing).

ChinMusic
04-28-2012, 23:07
I would follow garlic's advice but I want to keep my arms bulked up..........

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 00:17
15819 helps to have a little on your feet from time to time.....

rocketsocks
04-29-2012, 00:30
Did those come from Ole four toes?

Wise Old Owl
04-29-2012, 10:08
No its my first attempt at homebrew Vibram 4 fingers.....Just kidding....

Seriously....

I heard it there was a dramatic improvement in one's hiking here on WB when you have the pinky toes surgically removed to reduce weight. Puts an increased bounce in your step, and had the work done by a podiatrist a couple of years ago. I did the research on the internet and found the right guy for $1950 who came around to my point of view and did the work... Took a little convincing.

So now I am Pigeon toed.

Hooch
04-29-2012, 10:22
Absolutely no duct tape. I do carry a roll of Tenacious Tape in lieu of it.

jerseydave
04-29-2012, 11:00
See FB we can agree on a few things...:D:banana
:) ;)

Quite a few, I expect.
:rolleyes:

Odd Man Out
04-29-2012, 11:02

No wonder I always get my shoes on the wrong feet. Mine are not labeled "L" and "R"!

Patton
05-20-2012, 22:53
I have been told not to use duct tape to repair tents or sleeping bags or rain wear due to the sticky residue left behind, but I have put brightly colored duct tape on each of my hiking poles. Orange and Yellow. I used it to repair a boot that lost the sole from the mid section to the toe. I also figured the bright colors could help in the event of need for rescue (for the visibility from a distance etc)

Happy44
07-13-2013, 00:11
well im the only one on earth i guess , that used 2 whole rolls in 500 miles, i use it for everything, my feet, my pack, simple repairs for my mat , the list gos on, when others need it i have it, i met "gram man" on the trail and unless your him, I recommend a roll, but i guess im the only one!

Mountain Mike
07-13-2013, 00:18
I carry a several feet of it wrapped around my MSR fuel bottle & nalgene. Have used it to stop hot spots & repair shirts where seams have worn out on long hikes.

Ezra
07-13-2013, 07:35
I have never had an instance where I wished I had some with me.

Drybones
07-13-2013, 15:31
I have been told not to use duct tape to repair tents or sleeping bags or rain wear due to the sticky residue left behind, but I have put brightly colored duct tape on each of my hiking poles. Orange and Yellow. I used it to repair a boot that lost the sole from the mid section to the toe. I also figured the bright colors could help in the event of need for rescue (for the visibility from a distance etc)

I take a roll of Kenyon (sp?) tape to repair tent, down jacket, sleeping bag. It weighs almost nothing, clear, durable, holds up through washing.

Colter
07-14-2013, 10:28
A couple of feet in its own roll. I keep it off my trekking pole--why lift it several million times over the course of a long hike?

Garlic makes sense as usual. I carry about 10 feet though and use it often, commonly for blister prevention on a foot that has been cleaned and dried. I've also used it for things like repairing water bottles, pack, shoes or insoles. My running shoes tend to wear out inside on the backs. I will duct tape the back of a new pair or a worn pair to prevent/repair wear and reduce/eliminate chafing.

zippyd8
01-12-2019, 23:19
About 2 feet worth, but make your own roll to cut down the size. I cut a ballpoint pen shell to the size of the tape, then wrap the tape around it.

zippyd8
01-12-2019, 23:19
Duct tape is always nice to have so extra is never a bad idea.

Dogwood
01-12-2019, 23:50
26.33333333333333 inches X 1.875 inches

MuddyWaters
01-13-2019, 00:12
well im the only one on earth i guess , that used 2 whole rolls in 500 miles, i use it for everything, my feet, my pack, simple repairs for my mat , the list gos on, when others need it i have it, i met "gram man" on the trail and unless your him, I recommend a roll, but i guess im the only one!

Ive used about 3' in several thousand miles.

Never use it to tape plastic over a malfunctioning car window. At least dont leave it several days . The sun bakes the adhesive, it will NEVER come off completely from paint. Nothing will soften baked adhesive that doesnt damage paint either. Have to scrape it off glass.

Odd Man Out
01-13-2019, 01:06
None. I have a package of Tenacious Tape for repairs of gear and pieces of Leukotape on non stick backing for repairs of me.

Sara
01-13-2019, 12:37
About 2 feet worth, but make your own roll to cut down the size. I cut a ballpoint pen shell to the size of the tape, then wrap the tape around it.

I've also wrapped some duct tape around a ballpoint pen, but I use the pen for signing trail registers.
Multipurpose!

I don't go overboard with wrapping the pen - because I can always replensh the duct tape in town from the hiker box. :)

Christoph
01-13-2019, 12:44
I put about a foot on each pole during my thru and when I figured I'd try finally try to temp fix a shoe, it was so stuck to itself after being in the elements for so long that I couldn't get even 1/2 inch off without creating a sticky mess. So now I just leave it home. That was the only time I ever tried (or needed) any. I managed to get to the next town and fixed it with shoe goo and that lasted until I found an outfitter in the next town. So I probably won't be bringing any the next few sections and on my next thru.

Time Zone
01-13-2019, 12:51
Any brand recommendations - either for hiking use, or at home (boxing up stuff for shipping)?

Haven't had to use any yet for hiking, but I have not had good luck with the "Duck" brand stuff they sell at walmart - IME, it does not stay stuck to cardboard boxes that I use for shipping stuff from the USPS. Especially if the box has been used before. Same is true of clear shipping tape too. Neither seems to have the sticking power, so I have switched back to masking tape (2" wide, beige) for shipping.

I still have a ballpoint pen (like Sara) with the silver Duck duct tape wrapped around it. But since it has not been good for another use, I wonder if I should find a different brand to wrap around a pen, or just carry a pack of Tenacious Tape.

Thanks
TZ

Dogwood
01-13-2019, 19:15
The quality of the tape matters. I've had problematic experiences with less expensive duck/duct tape brands. It was originally labeled duct tape because it's what HVAC installers once readily used. Duck tape coopted the name creating a brand name. Cheaper duck/duct tape can equal cheaper less effective adhesives, weaker longitudinal strength tape, fewer or no filaments in the tape that give it strength, and thinner tape. These traits make the tape more prone to tearing when trying to unwrap to apply, greater risks of degradation from UV, temp extremes exposures, wetness, sweat salts, etc ..and greater occurrences of adhesives "running." It doesn't adhere as well as better quality duct tapes. Wrapping some $ store or super cheap stuff around a trekking pole or water bottle or folding up some, forgetting about it for a season or so, and then anticipating using it because it's needed you may find it unusable for the goals you intended.