PDA

View Full Version : Big People

oldbear
04-21-2012, 07:11
Do any of you bigger people think that there is a need for a separate forum or subforum that deals with the some of the practical needs of big people ?

BobW
04-21-2012, 07:27
I would definitely subscribe!

Old Boots
04-21-2012, 08:23
I am not a particularly big person but I have hiked with some,and their difficulties particularly finding gear, leads me to believe this would be a good idea.

Rif
04-21-2012, 08:48
I think it may be a good idea as well. Both tall and larger body people have some unique gear and clothing issues that would be nice to discuss and share what we find and with a separate forum the rest of the readership does not need to wade though our misery in the regular clothing/gear forums.

I'd like to see a sticky in such a forum where we could share fit of various brands.....ie, I wear a size whatever and brandX makes a jacket with long arm and body length, I have a 50" waist and brandC makes extended waist sizes, such and such makes a tent that fits a 6' 10" body, etc...... Sort of a gear fit review section for those needing extended sizes for clothing and equipment.

I suspect that those requiring larger sizes may also have some physical issues the rest may not deal with either as extra weight puts a lot of load on joints and feet, heat seems a bigger issue for those who are heavier, some tall people are extremely thin and winter cold is a much bigger threat for them. It would be nice to read posts from those who understand these issues rather than sometimes less than freindly comments for those of perfect weight and proportion.

I am tall and have larger wider feet so buying clothing and shoes is always a problem, as is a lightweight yet large enough tent and bag.

leaftye
04-21-2012, 13:14
I'd like to see it. It's quite annoying when scrawny hikers try to tell us what's causing our chafing and other afflictions.

Pedaling Fool
04-21-2012, 13:23
Just curious what's the definition of Big People? Can we put some numbers on it -- is it only a thing of height or both height & weight? If one is say, 6' 5" and 220 lbs and another is 6' 5" @ 300 lbs are they both big people?

oldbear
04-21-2012, 13:45
Just curious what's the definition of Big People? Can we put some numbers on it -- is it only a thing of height or both height & weight? If one is say, 6' 5" and 220 lbs and another is 6' 5" @ 300 lbs are they both big people?
I'm not sure yet and we'll all have to work it out and the new forum would of course be open to both sexes
What if we establish a bare minimum of 6' tall ,200 lbs .size 12 shoe ....and go from there

WingedMonkey
04-21-2012, 14:19
I'm not sure yet and we'll all have to work it out and the new forum would of course be open to both sexes
What if we establish a bare minimum of 6' tall ,200 lbs .size 12 shoe ....and go from there

Dang...that's a big woman.

:p

jeffmeh
04-21-2012, 16:09
Dang...that's a big woman.

:p

MSR 2P Tent

leaftye
04-21-2012, 16:33

No, you might as well just make it a tall forum instead of a big forum. How about that minimum height and/or a weight greater than the maximums in this chart?
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/airforcejoin/a/afmaxweight.htm

Of course there's really no way to enforce that threads are only made by people that fit that definition, so defining it is a waste of time and effort. Either we do it or don't. The category will depend mostly on common sense like many other categories.

Rif
04-21-2012, 16:39

I'd say both are big people. At 6' 5", whatever the weight, sleeve and body length are going to be an issue, sleeping bags and tents are going to be more limited in availability, etc.... Even a 46" chest is at the limit of what some clothing manufacturers provide.

Even shoes become an issue. While many manufacturers make size 14 and above try and find a dealer with them. Even more so wide sizes. I went searching for a pair of Merrell Trail Gloves. REI has 13 and 14 to check length but does not stock the wide sizes in any length. Merrell stops making wides at 13. Vivobarefoot makes some great trail runners but EMS and many online stores stop sizes at Euro 46 even though Vivo makes them to 47. It would be nice to have a place to share this info.

Not sure how new catagories are decided here and it may be hard to gauge just how much interest there really is. How about we simply start posting our results as threads when we face a question based on our size, find a new piece of gear, or start a gear search for an extended size. Put "Tall" or "Big" in the title and we can all quickly find it to comment and the powers that be can then decide if there is enough of a following to give us a catagory or not. Either way we get the info we want instead of very rarely stumbling across it.

Rif
04-21-2012, 16:50
I don't think we can set specific guidelines. If you are 5' 5" and 300 pounds you will have specific needs the average guy won't have, just the same if you are 6' 10" and weigh 175 pounds. A guy with a size 15 foot or a girl with an 11 foot, no matter his height/weigh is going to have footwear hunting issues. Clothing makers just don't cater to either.

BTW, when I went to return a fresh out of the box pair of Keen Voyagers to REI on Thursday I had to endure the petite girl behind the register and her "Wooooooow, what a BIG pair of shoes. I could fit my whole head inside of those!". A little embarrasing to say the least and they were only a 14, one size up from my true 13. She probably wore a 6. At least she didn't ask me how tall I was, or whether I ever hit my head on the door jam...my other favorite comments.

perrymk
04-21-2012, 17:10
Maybe it could be called "the hard to fit" forum. I'm sure dwarves (is that the right word?) also have fit issues. And the point about the 5 foot 300 pounder. Even a 5 foot, 200 pound person would be rather rotund and have special fitting needs.

Pathfinder1
04-21-2012, 17:22
Hi...

You bet they're BIG people...!!

I'm one of them. 6' 2", 14/15 shoe, and very "fluffy"...!!

Wise Old Owl
04-21-2012, 17:24
I am all for it... unfortunately it took a few years to get a dedicated GPS Navigation forum. Before the posts were all over the place. Although I think I am 5 11 standing I still take a long mummy bag because the feet in the toe box pulls the hood over my face and its uncomfortable in the cold.

Pathfinder1
04-21-2012, 17:28
Hi...

I think dwarves/dwarfs would prefer to be called "little people".

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 17:31
I think it is a fine idea.So many times I read others qualify with"I'm a big guy 6'-4" 285"So a big and tall forum,why not?Signed;The little guy 5'-7" 155 lbs soaking wet.

Lion King
04-21-2012, 19:08
I think the politically correct term is 'giants'

They just stomp your house when you call them big people

aaronthebugbuffet
04-21-2012, 19:20
Probably just a unnecessary as the women's forum. There's still going to be scrawny people poking in with their 2 cents.

When you ask a question on any of the other sub forums you can always specify any special considerations.

coach lou
04-21-2012, 19:45
Love to join in a good discussion, but ahh... *sniff*.. *sniff*, I'm height challenged.

rocketsocks
04-21-2012, 20:24
I know I'm short,but I don't want no short people around me!WWW.bing.com/video/search?q=short+peo (http://WWW.bing.com/video/search?q=short+peo):)

flemdawg1
04-21-2012, 21:46
I think the politically correct term is 'giants'

They just stomp your house when you call them big people

Silly me I thought this thread was about fatasses.

Old Boots
04-21-2012, 22:01
My guess is that folks will self define. If the gear you need is not carried at your outfitter in your size then you may want a Big Person forum.

daddytwosticks
04-22-2012, 10:12
Hey, what about us older folks? We need a separate but equal forum too! And while we are at it, what about a forum for fat/tall hikers married to dwarfs? They have "special issues"....where does it end folks? :)

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2012, 10:24
http://mousewarez.com/suitcase/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/db_dye_spin2.gif Hmmm us older folk need a name for the thread I suggest.....

Fine Print:This is a great community where the norm is to support others in their ideas and projects (including respectful critiques), and not assume offense where none is intended...and therefore not to flame, call names, or create friction in our threads. It's often easy to get frustrated over someone's post and type a quick reply to "set them straight." If the original post is out of line and the follow-up is calm and respectful, then it is appropriate for well-established members to help newbies learn our norms.

04-22-2012, 11:45
At 6' 4" 250 lbs and size 14 shoe I think I may qualify for BIG. So most every store will carry one pair of size 14 shoe in only the popular brands, sorry no narrow only wide feet fit. It would be nice to be able to zip up a sleeping bag all they way, vs just putting my feet in and using the rest for a cover. Tent ha ha they do not make one that fits under 6 lbs. So it is a tarp by default. Does anyone have any idea what it does to a pair of shoes that are glued to the rubber sole, when one drops stright down a 3,000 feet down? The glue gives out or the rubber pulls off. So it is slow and careful foot planting. Lets be ultra light, 25% of 250 is over 60 lbs so I say ultralight is half of normal weight, now remember my fleece weights 3 lbs, My sleeping bag is 750 goose down and weights 5lbs. yes big folks have different issues. I bought a pair of Keen boots, must be at least 2-3 lbs each. The little lady at the counter opens the box to see they are both the same size I guess, she puts one on the counter toe up and then puts her elbow on the counter next to it. WOW! your shoe is longer than my whole arm.

Pathfinder1
04-22-2012, 12:41
Hi...

Funny...but I know what you mean.

oldbear
04-22-2012, 12:44
What gets me is that backpacking equipment manufacturers make tents that their long sleeping bags won't fit into w/o kissing a wall or two

Pathfinder1
04-22-2012, 13:43
Hi...

Don't forget...there are already some web sites/catalogs just for "Talls"...and for "Big and Tall"...!!

I eventually find (usually) clothing to fit me via catalog (I rarely shop stores). Would you believe that one of my hardest-to-find items was clothes hangers? Now I get them from two outfits (don't recall the names, though)...and from one of those outfits I have to use their afghan hangers...!! But, they work...although usually quite pricey.

Occassionally The Sportsman's Guide will carry pants and shoes that fit me.

Danl
04-23-2012, 09:05
I am all for a single forum for out of the norm ( big, small, short, tall ) issues. Maybe highjack a forum that isn't used much so that there a single place to go. Then the powers to be would see the interest in our own forum topic. Even as one stated " big or tall " in the topic title.

mgeiger
04-23-2012, 10:58
I'd participate. So yeah - lets talk gear challenges & finds. Lets talk physical challenges like pacing, negotiating down hills, requiring more food and water. There are benefits too - i.e. facing rock steps on a climb at the end of the day isn't all bad when you have 3' long legs.

Rockie
04-23-2012, 11:15
I would love to see such a forum. I'm size 11 in shoes and would like to buy an 11.5 in boots. Really hard to find and most fitters suggest buying men's boots. But they aren't just longer, they're wider too and I don't need that. Other issues as well, but since this isn't yet a forum, I'll save those up. I'd suggest that there is no official definition regarding who the forum might include, and instead leave it up to each individual person to decide if they "fit" or not.

Tharwood
04-23-2012, 11:48
Im in . 6ft5 210 lbs . 14 shoe.... Corn Fed...

mikec
04-23-2012, 11:55

I guess I qualify at 6'0" 240lbs and a size 13 shoe. I'd subscribe to a 'big people' forum.