PDA

View Full Version : Bly Gap access

generoll
04-21-2012, 20:16
FWIW, I hiked up to Bly Gap and back from the gated forest service road today. It took me and hour and 45 up and a bit over an hour down. According to my altimeter it was a 1500' gain with most of the climb in the last half. The trail is currently somewhat obscured by vegetation, but it's just past the funny tree on the left as you hike trail north. You can just about follow the road apples all the way to the car going down, but it is a little confusing going up as there are a few forks that can be a little confusing the first time you hike it.

johnlogan
02-28-2013, 17:16
Where does this forest road come out at? Does it hit another forest road or a paved road? I ended my last section hike at the gap and hiked back to Blue Ridge Gap road. I'd like to find another way back to Bly Gap without too much back tracking.

generoll
02-28-2013, 17:54
it comes out on a FS road which in turn becomes a county road and eventually becomes paved. the trail is not well maintained and I'd say it's a toss up as to whether it's easier to go in a Blue Ridge Gap or hike up from the NC side.