PDA

View Full Version : Need a lightweight jacket that can double as a rain coat

Greystroke
04-21-2012, 21:27
I currently hike with both a underarmor hooded sweatshirt for warmth and a rain jacket that is too sweaty to use except for rain. I'd like to replace them with one jacket to serve both functions. Any ideas?

Greystroke

kayak karl
04-21-2012, 21:36
i use a Packa (http://www.thepacka.com/) in all seasons. i used to use a Mountian Hardware Epic (http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Men%27s-Epic%E2%84%A2-Jacket/OM3879,default,pd.html), but even that got too hot in the winter.

Smooth & Wasabi
04-21-2012, 22:23
I don't know if you are going to find something for both without dealing with the sweat that goes with a waterproof. WP/B would keep me warm, too warm unless I am in a really cold rain, but then an UA sweatshirt would be too warm for me on the move even in winter. I have never tried it but you might want to research Paramo which I believe is a european company. I think they use some type of pump liner that keeps you warm and dry in the rain by very effectively moving next to skin moisture.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-21-2012, 22:23
Doesn't exist.
Blame science!

jelloitsalive
04-22-2012, 08:47
US Army A.C.U Gortex

grayfox
04-22-2012, 12:06
We'd help you if we could, but any fabric that keeps rain out also keeps sweat in. You can get one made of paclite, cabela's has a nice simple design for not too much money, that is probably the lightest most inexpensive option. There are some newer fabrics that say they are better but they cost a whole lot and probably are really not that much better than goretex, but it depends on your body, the weather..... If you do get an unlined raincoat, plan to use a long sleeved base layer under it because most coated fabrics are quite uncomfortable and cold on bare skin, especially when the rain is cold or there is a lot of wind.

KristalB
04-22-2012, 12:44
Wearing a thin fleece under my REI Ultralight jacket is working to keep me warm and dry thus far. I love the jacket as it has pit zips to cool me down when I heat up and the fabric seems quite breathable. As a bonus it packs into it's own pocket. Good luck in your search, Greystroke.

Rif
04-22-2012, 16:45
I tried the Marmont Minimalist from Goretx Paclite and thought it made a great shell jacket. A reasonably thick fabric that felt srurdy. The 2011 model was cut very large and could easily layer over a puffy jacket or fleece. Not a bad feel against the skin either.

I also tried the 2012 Super Mica from Marmont's own proprietary fiber. The jacket was paper thin, weighed nothing and the 2012 sizing was much more streamlined than the 2011. One this one I should have sized up, on last years Minimalist I could have sized down. With the Super Mica though I was already feeling damp and clammy trying it on indoors at 79 deg F in my home. With exertion I know I would be drenched. The Super Mica went back to REI.

There is no perfect single jacket. If it keeps rain out you will sweat with any exertion, if it breathes rain will get in.

Connie
04-23-2012, 13:26
Not the most lightweight, when I lived in the Pacific Northwest I had a REI British ventile fabric mountain jacket. It worked perfectly for strenuous exertion. It was a light-colored dusky green. It was lined with the more greyish-green lightweight ventile fabric.

British ventile is sold online. I am thinking I might like to have an anorak using British ventile.

The only other jacket that was successful, for moderate exertion, at both, is waxed cotton: my Trail Masters and my Filson shorty fisherman jacket.

I saw a French woman traveler with a more lightweight waxed cotton jacket. I have no idea what brand.

Connie
04-23-2012, 13:29
I should say, the British ventile could wet-out in a downpour. But I wore a medium-thick wool vest under it. I stayed warm and dry.