PDA

View Full Version : A few of the best maildrop locations?

Kornflake
04-22-2012, 02:23
My girlfriend and I are looking to leave the 26th or 27th of this month NOBO and have almost everything ready to go! We are taking AWOL's guidebook and the official maps, but don't want to carry the maps all from the beginning. I was hoping some folks here would be able to suggest a handful of maildrop locations (maybe 5 or 6 or so) to receive mail that are some of the best (longest hours etc.), spaced out along the trail for us to get maps and receive other shipments. (Use this as a list to give out to family etc.) Thank you for your suggestions and any other feedback.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 09:10
Best? I gauge maildrops by necessity and convinience. Hours? Hike faster or slower to arrive there when open.....

Hmmm, my picks are:
1- Fontana Dam (before the USPS axes it)
2- Harpers Ferry (just a pain in the arse to resupply there)
3- Perisburg (gear swap out)
4- Hanover (gear swap out)
5- Carratunk (the absolute best P.O. On the trail)

Cheers!

Moose2001
04-22-2012, 09:53
I'd suggest doing both gear swaps and getting maps at the same time. Are you getting new boots, summer gear, meds, or anything else on a regular basis? If so, do your map swaps at that time. So, I'd suggest carrying maps from Springer to where you plan on getting summer gear (Damascus/Pearisburg). I'd carry all the VA maps thru to Harpers Ferry. Then look at the next place you need gear. Maybe carry from Harpers Ferry to Hanover. I always try to minimize mail drops. Makes hiking less of a hassle.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 11:11
I came to like carrying maps in the New England section only- skipping the maps everywhere else and substituting SnickerBars for them instead.

I found the "official map" of the Whites to be worthless. Better off relying on all the marks scribbled into the trail signs by AT thru hikers in that section anyway.

Moose2001
04-22-2012, 11:41
I found the "official map" of the Whites to be worthless. Better off relying on all the marks scribbled into the trail signs by AT thru hikers in that section anyway.

The main reason to carry a White Mt map is to find a place to bail off the ridgeline if needed!

Kornflake
04-22-2012, 14:13
Yes, we wish to keep maildrops at a minimum but wish to carry the maps. Any other suggestions anyone for good locations to receive packages? I appreciate your time. So far the suggestions I have heard:

Fontana Dam, NC (Before Smokey Mountains)
Damascus, VA (At VA Border)
Pearisburg, VA (Well into VA)
Harper's Ferry, WV (Between WV/MD/VA)
Hanover, NH (Upon entering NH)
Caratunk, ME (Halfway through Maine)

Since we are leaving late April, what sort of winter clothes would you think necessary? We have 30 degree Marmot Plasma's, a great jacket each, and long pants. A two-person tent. We may have to receive shoes by mail but perhaps you could suggest a few points along the way where suitable shoes might be obtained? By winter I expect we will have enough time to coordinate suitable winter clothes.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 15:11
......what sort of winter clothes would you think necessary? ....

Here's a tried and true 'cold weather" pack list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)from Winton Porter (ignore the pop-up if you get it). Gloves, fleece hat are givens ( you could also pack a 100 weight fleece if you're cold-natured). Add a trash compactor bag for a liner.

This list yields a 16-18 lb. base weight pack. Tweak it in summer to go even lighter.

Here's an added resource for you to chew on:
Backpacker Magazines 10 page article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530) on hiking the AT. It's full of useful information including what to expect in each section. Again, ignore the pop-up.....

Cheers!

flemdawg1
04-23-2012, 18:02
......what sort of winter clothes would you think necessary? ....

Here's a tried and true 'cold weather" pack list (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4)from Winton Porter (ignore the pop-up if you get it). Gloves, fleece hat are givens ( you could also pack a 100 weight fleece if you're cold-natured). Add a trash compactor bag for a liner.

This list yields a 16-18 lb. base weight pack. Tweak it in summer to go even lighter.

Here's an added resource for you to chew on:
Backpacker Magazines 10 page article (http://www.backpacker.com/november_2008_american_classic_hiking_the_appalach ian_trail/destinations/12530) on hiking the AT. It's full of useful information including what to expect in each section. Again, ignore the pop-up.....

Cheers![/QUOTE]

I would sub a lightweight windshirt for one of the baselayer tops on Winton's List (can be worn over a much wider temp range). Aluminum pot or Ti pot. (personally I love my Jetboil Sol Ti). Trailrunners instead of boots. But overall it is a very good starting point.

Kornflake
04-25-2012, 11:55
Thanks for the help guys! We leave on Thursday, but travel and moving begins today!

Spokes
04-25-2012, 12:03
I would sub a lightweight windshirt for one of the baselayer tops on Winton's List (can be worn over a much wider temp range). Aluminum pot or Ti pot. (personally I love my Jetboil Sol Ti). Trailrunners instead of boots. But overall it is a very good starting point.

I agree. Lots of opportunities to tweak ( with moderation).