PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about this system..what do you think

Darwin13
04-22-2012, 04:18
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
yeti under quilt 20 degree
EOS MacCat Tarp

20 degree sleeping bag for over quilt

For cold weather I was going to bring my 20 degree sleeping bag to use as a top quilt. come warm weather, could I ditch the sleeping bag and just use the under quilt? it would save a lot of weight. Do I need the sleeping bag at all even in cold weather with the underquilt?

1azarus
04-22-2012, 07:32
yes, you need something more than an underquilt almost all the time. the underquilt will just keep your back warm.

Lyle
04-22-2012, 07:41
yes, you need something more than an underquilt almost all the time. the underquilt will just keep your back warm.

Unless they meant they would use the underquilt for a top quilt during the summer. Would then need at least a CCF pad for bottom insulation.

1azarus
04-23-2012, 07:25
Unless they meant they would use the underquilt for a top quilt during the summer. Would then need at least a CCF pad for bottom insulation.
good point!!! would be possible...

Tom Murphy
04-23-2012, 15:35
I have a bridge hammock (JRB) which I think are especially suited to allowing you to use a TQ as an UQ and vice versa. Also the pad sleeve in a bridge hammock helps keep the pad from moving around.

Height of summer - TQ and z-rest in the pad sleeve

3 season - TQ and UQ

Winter - Winter sleeping bag as TQ, UQ, and 3 season TQ as second UQ layer

Deep Cold - Winter sleeping bag as TQ, UQ, 3 season TQ as second UQ layer, z-rest in pad sleeve

For all seasons and all temps, it helps to have a tarp that is big enough that you to rig up a "winter tarp" set-up. I have weathered a few mid summer nights where my TQ/pad wasn't enough by changing the tarp arrangement.

dla
04-24-2012, 01:27
Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 double
yeti under quilt 20 degree
EOS MacCat Tarp

20 degree sleeping bag for over quilt

For cold weather I was going to bring my 20 degree sleeping bag to use as a top quilt. come warm weather, could I ditch the sleeping bag and just use the under quilt? it would save a lot of weight. Do I need the sleeping bag at all even in cold weather with the underquilt?

The Blackbird provides a bit of top insulation by itself - it's not like lying open on a bridge hammock. So if you are carrying a good coat, hat & gloves you probably can sleep through a moderate night without a top quilt or sleeping bag. I would definitely give it a try at home first.