PDA

View Full Version : Anyone reccomend Dry Sack for Marmoit Helium 15?

map_guy
04-22-2012, 12:47
Reading about backpacking with a down bag. Does anyone have any recommendations for a dry sack for a Marmot Helium 15?

I may try the old contractor bag trick for backpacking, but would like to get an idea for what size dry bag works with Helium 15 when I use it for for bike touring and kayaking and weight isn't an issue. Not sure how much I can compress it on a trip w/o damaging it.

Any suggestions?

Loneoak
04-22-2012, 17:51
Turkey roaster bag

MaggieMaeFlower
04-22-2012, 18:13
I would recommend a compression bag. I personally like Granite Gear or Sea to Summit with eVent. They are waterproof and I've used them both with down and synthetic. I would take the sleeping bag into an outfitter and try out the sizing, it's hard to gauge online. If you would like a lighter option their are companies (like zpacks) that make cuben fiber stuff sacks and dry bags, but I haven't tried them.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 18:39
I would recommend a compression bag.....

Conventional thru hiker wisdom doesn't support compression sacks. The reason is you lose so much pack space when you reduce your sleeping bag into a compressed "brick". It's much better to use a trash compactor bag as a liner then stuff your sleeping bag loose allowing it to mold into every nook and cranny of the pack.

If you're dead set on a dry sack the better alternative is an oversize ultra sil dry sack-again to allow for a loose fit for packing.

Cheers!

Graygen
04-22-2012, 18:42
I use an 8L Sea to Summit Dry bag for my Marmot 15. I have also used a 13L Sea to Summit Dry bag and a trash compactor bag. Not sure which would be best for biking or kayaking other than the 8L Sea to Summit would give you the smallest profile.

map_guy
04-22-2012, 18:53
I use an 8L Sea to Summit Dry bag for my Marmot 15. I have also used a 13L Sea to Summit Dry bag and a trash compactor bag. Not sure which would be best for biking or kayaking other than the 8L Sea to Summit would give you the smallest profile.

Thanks for all the replies....

I will be all over the turkey roaster bag for the first time out backpacking, the dry bag is an option for the touring bags or kayaking. Ill bring the bag to EMS and see what will fit the bag and in my touring bags best. see what the local EMS salesman thinks of me stuffing a sleeping bag into a a store dry bag, going to trhink I am nuts.

Pringles
04-22-2012, 18:54
When hiking, I line the stuff sack with a turkey roasting bag, it's lighter than a compactor bag. When sea kayaking, I use a dry bag with a burp valve. You can close it, then squish air out the burp valve. Pringles

STICK
04-22-2012, 23:07
I have the Helium. I line my (cuben fiber) ZPacks Blast backpack with a (cuben fiber) pack liner dry bag. Then, I either stuff the Helium down in the bottom of the pack liner and pile everything else on top, or I may stuff the Helium in the supplied stuff sack that comes with the Helium and then stuff it in the bottom of the pack liner. It just so happens that in the supplied stuff sack (which weighs 0.5 oz) it is the exact size of the bottom of my pack so it works out great.

I do not like compression sacks. They are heavier than need be and they just turn things into hard balls that really waste space inside a pack, not to mention make the pack all deformed looking. A compression sack is no more waterproof than other dry bags out there, but they are heavier. However, if you do have to use a compression sack, I suggest you to only compress it as much as needed, don't get carried away with it making it as small as it can possibly go.

I would suggest going with a trash compactor bag, or alternately you can go to either Gossamer Gear (http://gossamergear.com/packs/pack-accessories/pack-liner-bags-2-pack.html) or MLD (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=46&products_id=92) and order pack liners. I just ordered 6 of the pack liners from MLD and it cost me $15 (including shipping). These bags are very tough and totally see through and weigh in at 1.4 oz as is, however, at 32 inches tall, if you would like you can cut them down and save even more weight. Then, just use the supplied stuff sack that comes with the Helium rather than buying another one, or just stuff it in the bottom of the pack liner. This saves way more room!

map_guy
05-07-2012, 15:03
Thanks for all the replies. I picked up a Granite Gear Event dry sack on sale. It was between a size Sm(15L) or a Md( 18L). I found the 15L was a tight fit and acted like a rock in my pack. The size Md actually compressed the sleeping bag less, but fit the bottom of my pack really well as well as if I just stuffed it in the pack on its own. Plus there is room to put a liner in there for extra protection. I think I like the way the bag fills the bottom of the pack on its own with just a liner, but now have a few options. Thanks again for the recommendations, hopefully it will give someone else some ideas.