PDA

View Full Version : Water conditions in the Shenandoah National Park

Gator 65
04-22-2012, 16:48
I thru hiked the AT in 2009 and recall one or two days in the Park when the water supply was sparse. I intend to hike the park again Mid May for about a week. I have two questions for all .........................

1- What are the present water conditions in the Park. I cannot find any info. on whether or not they had a wet winter.
2- I am planning to drop off 2-3 days food supply at the various campgrounds in the park ( Wayside Restaurants?). Do you think that will be a problem with the restaurant management. I plan on entering the park by car on the Skyline, drop off food bags at the campgrounds which are approx. 30 miles apart and then start down at the south entrance. The temptation will be there to "eat my way through the park" as was the case when I did the trail back in 2009. I will always remember stuffing myself (as did everyone else) with milkshakes and cheesburgers at the Wayside food stands and restuarants. Hopefully that will not be the case this time. I can recall putting lots of food in the hiker boxes because of the cheeseburgers and milkshakes.

Any info. you can provide will be appreciated.

Gator 65

johnnybgood
04-22-2012, 17:07
It has been raining for the past two days so water should be no problem for you this time. I will be hiking in the park tomorrow, was going today but with 2 inches of rain forcast in addition to sleet possible tonight I decided not.
Wayside restaurants inside Shenandoah are operated by Aramark and they do not accept food parcels. With the ease of hiking in SNP there really isn't a need to do food drops as the Wayside at Big Meadows is only a 3 day walk starting from either end of the park.

Blissful
04-22-2012, 17:51
As far as I know you can't hold drops in the park. Several areas to buy albeit pricey. Water ok but likely Blackrock will be slow. You can find water down the Moormans fire road at Blackrock gap.

Rocket Jones
04-22-2012, 18:16
Just got back from 4 days at Range View cabin in the Northern section. The spring at Range View is running well, but the Piney Branch and feeders were running low compared to last Spring. Although big rain was forecast for last night and today, we only got a very brief hard rain last night and light rain this morning.

Anecdotal, but on-the-spot reporting. :)

Have fun.

johnnybgood
04-22-2012, 18:22
No food drops are held , Blissful . Aramark wants hikers to purchase food at the waysides.
The only way around this is getting a hitch into nearby Elkton at Swift Run Gap , 40 miles from the southern entrance .

A/T Spike
04-23-2012, 20:43
I had no problem leaving a re-supply box for two hikers at the Big Meadows Visitors Center last October.
A/T Spike

Blissful
04-23-2012, 20:51
I had no problem leaving a re-supply box for two hikers at the Big Meadows Visitors Center last October.
A/T Spike

I suppose if you ask the rangers there and arrange for it ahead of time, it might work out.

johnnybgood
04-23-2012, 21:00
That's good to know. Food concessionaire doesn't allow it at waysides.

Gator 65
04-23-2012, 22:41
I appreciate all the info. I will take a good look at the campground layouts and /or maybe talk to the Rangers and see if the will accommodate the food drops. If nothing else I guess it's Blueberry milkshakes and Cheeseburgers.
again, thanks for the feed back.

Gator 65