PDA

View Full Version : GPS Ideas

litetrek
04-22-2012, 18:12
I'm thinking of getting a GPS for long distance hiking. My budget is under $250 or under $200 if possible. I would like it to work in tree cover and to have a long battery life. I would like to use it to let me know if I've strayed off course, have a compass that works and an altitude function. I think these are essentially basic functions. I know nothing about this topic and appreciate any input and recommendations.

yellowsirocco
04-22-2012, 18:43
On the AT at least, you shouldn't stray off course unless it is snowing, you are bushwhacking, or above treeline in the clouds. I can think of many luxury items that I would carry before I would carry a dedicated GPS. Just buy the print maps and learn to use them.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 18:46
I just upgraded my old Garmin eTrex Leend with the eTrex20. Love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Worldwide-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B00542NVDW

Consider the eTrex30 for the compass and altimeter functions. Comes in at your price range too.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-Worldwide-Handheld-Navigator/dp/B00542NVS2/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335134806&sr=1-1

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2012, 18:49
Yellowsirocco, Litetrek might not be talking about the AT ... So staying on trail is a given, or he might be talking about a starter unit...

Here is my current take on the issue. a 4-5 oz package with an app - smart phone and battery backup at what appears to be a $100 down. and subscription... see previous posts in search engine.

kayak karl
04-22-2012, 18:51
it might be hard just getting the accessories and GPS maps for $200. you could get free maps, but they won't have AT or make your own Custom Maps (a lot of work for the whole AT)
i've been lost in the snow and fog on the AT and a compass and paper map got me back on track.
if you still want GPS get APP for phone.

kayak karl
04-22-2012, 18:54
great deal! which maps are with that. i have the Oregon 300 and i had to upgrade maps :(

Wise Old Owl
04-22-2012, 18:56
I tried to edit the entire trail onto the 400t - what a waste of time.

litetrek
04-22-2012, 19:07
Yes, I agree that its hard to stray off the AT. I'm hiking the Duncan ridge trail in North GA and its known for being somewhat variable for the markings. It isn't used as much as other trails so I'm told it gets grown over with brush in places sometimes. GPS will potentially help with that.

litetrek
04-22-2012, 19:10
Also, I would consider the smartphone app but I don't really want a smartphone. I've got a flip phone and am content with that

kayak karl
04-22-2012, 19:28
Yes, I agree that its hard to stray off the AT. I'm hiking the Duncan ridge trail in North GA and its known for being somewhat variable for the markings. It isn't used as much as other trails so I'm told it gets grown over with brush in places sometimes. GPS will potentially help with that.
is there a GPS map (downloadable waypoints) for GPS? with out the trail in the GPS its just a glorified paper map!

Lyle
04-22-2012, 19:32
The only time I actually used a GPS for hiking was when I hiked the Border Route and Kek a few years ago. These two trails are notoriously difficult to follow, especially after a major burn as I was following. I used my Garmin Etrex Legend and had no complaints. I did not leave it on, I only used it to check position and confirm I was still on the trail. It did alert us to a wrong turn we had made and saved us from many miles of extra hiking, so was worth it on that trip. Plus it gave us good piece of mind. The Boundary Waters are fairly difficult to navigate.

Two Speed
04-22-2012, 20:35
is there a GPS map (downloadable waypoints) for GPS? with out the trail in the GPS its just a glorified paper map!KML of the Duncan Ridge with a portion of the BMT: https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/forum/?fromgroups#!msg/gec-member-centric-locations/spDW7fFSJJI/ILWpMa5sbpQJ

Kinda rough. Maybe someone has a better KMZ or GPX.

JaxHiker
04-22-2012, 20:54
I'd look for a Garmin 60CSx. Great little unit and in your price range since the 62 is out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

kayak karl
04-22-2012, 21:05
that's what i mean. if the trail isn't available, which GPS may be mute.

availability of maps and trails may help you decide which brand of GPS to buy.
another place to look. (http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php)

litetrek
04-22-2012, 21:21
Yes, the DRT is available online as a free download. I looked it up earlier in the week but offhand don't remember where.

theoilman
04-22-2012, 21:35
I was given a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Battery life is poor - 2 days of continuous on will kill the 2 AA batteries.

www.gpsfiledepot.com has tons of maps you can download for free, but I am yet to find the AT on them. The Florida topo there is great, has just about all trails on it, but I haven't found other states with all the trails on them already.

Needed on the AT - NO; some other trails you may.

It is a really cute toy/luxury item, 5.5 or 6 oz including carrying case, more if you add spare batteries.

Spokes
04-22-2012, 21:38
I was given a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Battery life is poor - 2 days of continuous on will kill the 2 AA batteries...

Not bad considering Garmin lists the Vista HCx battery life specs at 25 hours.

Theosus
04-22-2012, 23:36
Ten hours kills two AAs in my old Magellan sporttrak map. But I love it and it's taken me everywhere. And if I drop it in the creek - which I did once, and fished it out - I didn't just kill a three hundred dollar phone.

SunnyWalker
04-23-2012, 00:35
IMO it is better to purchase a dedicated GPS device(rather than smart phone app). I recommend Garmin and the Oregon 450 or series like that. I did have Magellans (had 3 of them) and they are fine also, but I think quality is better with Garmin device. Pick up how to read your location from your GPS (location coords) and then learn how to transfer the coords to your paper map to locate your position. Good skill. While the Magellans did not seem as good a quality (and it only seemed this in the case itself) they worked just fine. Never had a problem.

SassyWindsor
04-23-2012, 00:38
Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal GPS. For under $200US. The Vista is more, but the compass and barometer is not worth the extra money or the extra battery drain. Put a zip compass on the tether and learn how to travel quickly by lining up the compass with the GPS dial display. Take care of any map data cards you use.

SassyWindsor
04-23-2012, 00:41
PS: GPS not needed for AT hiking, but may come in handy motoring to trail heads.

JaxHiker
04-23-2012, 07:21
PS: GPS not needed for AT hiking, but may come in handy motoring to trail heads.

I find it more useful for marking water (of course they may not be there the next time), scenic overlooks, potential camp sites, etc. Anything I may want to return to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Spokes
04-23-2012, 10:00
Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal GPS. For under $200US. The Vista is more, but the compass and barometer is not worth the extra money or the extra battery drain. Put a zip compass on the tether and learn how to travel quickly by lining up the compass with the GPS dial display. Take care of any map data cards you use.

Why spend money on the old model when you can snag the newer eTrex20 for under $180 on Amazon?

You get lots more bang for the buck with built in memory, waypoint, route, and track capabilities on the eTrex20. Compare here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=143&compareProduct=87771&compareProduct=8701

trippclark
04-23-2012, 10:21
I have and use the Garmin eTrex HCx. It has a street price of about $190, sometimes less. With Lithium batteries, I can get as much as 3-4 full 12-hour days out of the two required batteries; fresh alkaline batteries can give up to two such days, but this is sometimes a stretch. As others have stated, this is a luxury item on the A.T., but I thoroughly enjoy using it and the info it provides. Here is how I use it. First, before my trip, I load the coordinates for all of the shelters in the area (available from the ATC website) and all of the road crossings/parking areas (available in "The A.T. Guide"). Sometimes I will also put in other points of interest along the way that I find using Google earth or other tools. While hiking, I set up the GPS to run a tracklog and reset the trip computer at my starting point. I'll use "find waypoint" to plug in my next destination (road, shelter, etc.). The trip computer tells me how far I have gone (actual miles) and how far to go (straightline), and moving speed. With this info, I can very accurately know where I am and how far (distance and time) to my destination. When I get to the destination, I'll reset the trip computer and set "find" to next waypoint. Finally, at the end of the trip, I'll pull the tracklog out of the unit and can overlay it in Google earth and also load it to Garmin Connect to see lots of interesting info (speed, elevation, elevation gain/loss, even temperature).

Again, none of this is necessary, but it is interesting and helpful.

BrianLe
04-23-2012, 12:43
OP said: "I'm thinking of getting a GPS for long distance hiking."

Long distance hiking where? And what time of year? GPS might or might not be worth carrying, depending on what it is you have in mind. I don't think it's good to suggest that you don't use a GPS, or OTOH that you get some specific model, without details of the particular trip.

If you don't have a particular long distance trip in mind, I'd look to see if you can borrow one from someone to see how you like it, and get a feel for what features are important to you. And then wait anyway until you've nailed down details on a particular long distance trip.

SunnyWalker
05-08-2012, 21:18
I have a Garmin Oregon 450. It is my 4th gps unit and I like it the best. Right now you can purchase an SD card with the AT on it from Garmin.com Purchase, place the SD card in your gps (if able to of course) and wala!

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 22:36
I've used an etrex a bunch for work, it's simple and very very durable.

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 22:38
If you are mindful about the battery use, that is turn it off and on and use the light only when needed, the batteries will last a long long time. I used one for work 16 hours a day and got 5 days on one charge on a few occasions. When I left it on in my pocket it would drain fast. It uses a lot more when it is searching ...