PDA

View Full Version : Dual use GPS...

atraildreamer
04-22-2012, 18:37
While I still think that the ability to read a map and use a compass is preferable to using :rolleyes: to the new-fangled electronic devices, I have decided to purchase a GPS unit. Being conservative (translate that as "cheap" :D), I would like to find a GPS unit that can be used in the Subaru, and then, after arriving at my hiking destination, can be removed and used on the trail. Features should include the capacity to use the auto power supply and be able to run independently on batteries, good battery life, decent memory, etc., and a reasonable price.

Any suggestions as to what to look for? :confused:

Skid.
04-23-2012, 00:39
many smart phones are capable of maps (there's an app for the AT), GPS, compass, camera, flashlight, etc all in one. You just need to turn it off when not in use, and keep it charged up whenever possible.

leaftye
04-23-2012, 01:00
The Garmin Montana 650 is a full featured hiking gps, but also has a camera and is compatible with a Garmin auto mount. I believe that auto mount provides power and audio. It can use a lithium battery or AA batteries. It does road routing and turn by turn directions with their City Navigator software. There are free maps that you can load, but their not put together well enough to be reliable for turn by turn directions.

The Garmin Oregon 550 also has a camera, does road routing and turn by turn directions when it has City Navigator. It only uses AA batteries, and there's no auto mount for it. I have this and use it for road and trail, so feel free to ask questions.

Both of those are expensive.

There's supposed to be an Android OS ruggedized handheld gps coming out that has a lot of promise. It may do everything, or very little, expensive or inexpensive. I sent an email to the company months ago and never heard anything back. That's too bad because I love the idea of a rugged Android gps that I can customize, gets wifi, and don't need a cell phone provider for. Think of it as an Android smart phone without the cellular chip and that is ruggedized & waterproof.

Connie
04-23-2012, 08:48
I have an iPod Touch with a GPS accessory.

I have Orange Gadgets iGPS360 but it requires a "jailbreak" iPod Touch or iPhone. It runs xGPS from Cydia and GPSSerial from Cydia enables the iGPS360 to work with other GPS apps at the iTunes Store.

The courts have ruled the Apple products jailbreak is legal: it is your property. It breaks warranty however. If timid, do it after the warranty expires. The iPod Touch/iPhone, nevertheless, are easily restored and the warranty is honored, in practice.

The Emprum UltiMate GPS does not require a jailbreak.

Because Orange Gadgets recommends the Emprum for non-jailbreak, I have to think it is somehow the same people.

I do know their GPS gets a strong signal, more than more handheld GPS I have had from Garmin for example. The Orange Gadgets iGPS360 and xGPS I was able to watch me walk down the sidewalk to the corner with the GPS showing I was on the sidewalk, not in the street or in the field, and it showed me stopped at the corner.

I also have a Mi-Fi for 3G etc to WiFi Hotspot. (I want to use the iTunes Store weather radar app.)

In this manner, a reduced price iPod Touch runs in vehicle on long-distance on the highway and on the trail, as well, using off-line maps I have downloaded.

I haven't tried off-line maps for the highways, but there is no reason it shouldn't work.

I took this route as an early adopter. I did not want to purchase an iPhone and unlimited service.

Now, there are more choices in smartphones.

Nevertheless, I feel I have the better and stronger GPS.

I use Kensington Mini Battery Pack and Charger, and, Novothink iPod Touch Surge for solar power.

There are AA or AAA battery packs for other GPS and AA or AAA battery solar chargers you may find more convenient.

I like what I have.

Connie
04-23-2012, 08:52
Orange Gadgets iGPS360 accessory is $75. xGPS software is free.

Emprum UltiMate GPS accessory is $89. Paid software is not free.

Working iPod Touch are on eBay.

atraildreamer
04-23-2012, 14:59
Thanks to all for the replies! I'll be looking into the recommended units.

map_guy
04-23-2012, 20:51
Guess I might have came to this topic a bit late. A unit that can function as a trail gps and an auto gps is somewhat of a holy grail. I looked into the same thing and wanted something for hiking, kayaking, bike touring, and for the car. The trick is the maps.

As far as the unit I think any real rugged unit would should work on AA batteries that are readily available. Recharging an internal battery isn't going to work out great if its charging when the sh** hits the fan and you need it. While its an older unit, gps boards swear by the Garmin 60csx. Built like a tank and pretty full featured, you loose the feel of the ipod type of Garmin gps, but gain ruggedness. You can buy some awesome RAMM mount holders for the 60csx, have one for the car and the touring bike.

The second half is the maps, the dirty secret about Garmin is about buying all the extra maps, buy the highest level of Garmin usgs maps also have routable roads in them. So it will plot you a path from point x to point y. I actually have a mini sd-cards with streets, topo, and marine maps. I just pop whatever chip I need for that day. I find I use the Garmin USGS topo maps for kayaking and driving, the other maps were really not needed.

In the end the bigger screen of the auto gps is just better and more efficient. I have a auto and the 60csx, cant say I really use the 60csx in the car even though I could, screen is just too small. Look into the Garmin units, Id steer towards the 60csx type units and stay away from the touch screen types if bomb proof ruggedness is the most important thing

I may get blasted for this, but not sure relying on an iphone with a rechargeable battery is the safest thing to do, but sure its been done with all the new solar power gadgets out there, but popping a few backup AA's in is so much safer when you are a long way from home.

map_guy
04-23-2012, 21:02
I should have added the Garmin 60csx is an older unit; you loose the ability to overlay satellite photos, but there should be plenty of cheaper used units floating around. They are bomb proof and havent heard of too many technical issues.

Wise Old Owl
04-23-2012, 22:07
Cheap is the "NEW" frugal ,I am hip with that,

leaftye
04-23-2012, 22:44
While its an older unit, gps boards swear by the Garmin 60csx. Built like a tank and pretty full featured, you loose the feel of the ipod type of Garmin gps, but gain ruggedness. You can buy some awesome RAMM mount holders for the 60csx, have one for the car and the touring bike.

Unfortunately that doesn't provide spoken directions like the auto mount for the Montana does. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're fine with the gps being silent, then I'm sure it works as well for street navigation as my Oregon.

Bucho
04-24-2012, 14:36
Here's what I got: http://www.rei.com/product/825491/garmin-etrex-20-gps

It doesn't have a real compass or altimeter on it but it was another $100 to get those features in the next model up so not worth it for me. You can use it both as a car and hiking gps, thing is you need to get this https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=1456&ra=true to use it as a car gps so you wouldn't be saving much money and the screen is smaller than on car gps and it doesn't give spoken directions.

Wise Old Owl
04-24-2012, 20:01
I have a full 24:1 topo Car version from three years ago... you have to tell it car vs hike or bike in the settings... I no nothing of the new stuff - because its always changing.

Its OK for section hiking gets 4 hours on the ol battery built in.

Connie
04-24-2012, 23:04
I didn't say, xGPS (http://xgps.xwaves.net/index.php/Main_Page) (Cydia) and GPSSerial (Cydia) are free, the offline maps are free, and street directions are spoken.

GPSSerial makes it compatible with the Topo Maps (http://topomapsapp.com/) $7.99 app. The topo maps are free: color, with or without shading, to 1:24000 topographic maps in 20' intervals. TOPO app also works with other apps including Panoramascope (http://panoramascope.com/) $5.99 app, which has an outline view with or without labels to help with orientation to features in your surroundings. Name that peak? Yes.

These apps were free, when they were new.

If you look at the links, you will see the display surpasses every other I have seen.

I do have and use other Apple iTunes Store apps for quick reference to coordinates or for mapping my route on Google maps online, because I like the interface and I have linked to TrackMyTour (http://trackmytour.com/) and Warm Showers (http://www.warmshowers.org/) for hosting bicycle tourers overnight. I even have the Topo 3D (http://www.bigairsoftware.com/Topo3D.html) app. Their sample image is Jenny Lake, The Grand Tetons. The same people have ski trails. Then there are the hiking trails maps. I like Trailhead (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/trailhead/id380841551?mt=8) by The North Face.

atraildreamer
04-29-2012, 16:33
Cheap is the "NEW" frugal ,I am hip with that,

I don't mind spending money if I can afford it. :-? It took eight years, but, as Dave Ramsey says: "I'm debt free!", :banana and don't want to get into the credit card mindset again! In this mixed-up world, not having a credit card is considered a negative! I called an agent for "the good hands people" to inquire about auto insurance and the fact that I had no recent credit history bumped up the quote to a higher rate! :mad: I checked out the Garmin 60csx mentioned above, but the price tag scared me away! :eek: Keep the suggestions coming. When I find a GPS with the features I need, in my price range, I'll buy it.

Thanks for all the help! :)

handyman439
05-02-2012, 21:56
The garmin oregon series has many of the same features as the montana, but smaller in size and price.