PDA

View Full Version : How was YOUR experience??.Newbie HERE.

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 11:31
Hellllooo to all :)
I would love to hear the experience of those who've hiked through Damascus, VA to Marion, VA...
If this is the most reasonable..I'll be coming from Lakeland, FL...looking to fly to Tri-Cities Regional Airport..catch a shuttle to Damascus to start off with...
It's a tid bit difficult to plan and it'll be my first time, but I'm not letting anything get in the way of this opportunity.
Anyone has any advise feel free...
I'm so ready to be outdoors:banana
happy..happyyyy trails everyone.

Kerosene
04-23-2012, 17:47
I covered this section, southbound, in early June 2007 over a great stretch of weather. Lone Wolf shuttled me up to Atkins/Groseclose (the I-81 crossing) where I had stopped a few years earlier. I have quite a bit of backpacking experience, but this was a great stretch of trail and relatively easy. I felt so good that day that I blew by my planned stopping place and just kept walking on a lovely quiet evening until I reached Trimpi Shelter 22 miles away.

It poured that night but the heavy wind dried everything out. Once again, the weather was perfect and I was in the groove, much earlier than usual. I had another great day of hiking, up past The Scales all the way to Wise Shelter for another 20-mile day.

Another big thunderstorm blew through that night, but by early morning it was crisp and clear to herald yet another perfect day. I made my way through Grayson Highlands, enjoying the incredible vistas and open meadows, but not seeing any of the wild ponies until I was almost at Thomas Knob Shelter. After a big, early dinner at Lost Mountain Shelter, I decided to put in a few more miles to Saunders Shelter for the night (27 total).

It dawned warm and humid the next day, and got warmer as I descended to Damascus for the 9 miles left for this trip.

I suggest that you catch a shuttle from TRI to Groseclose and hike back into Damascus, timing your arrival for a beer and burger at Dot's before catching a ride back to the airport.

Great hike (http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=262033), and one that I frequently recommend to first-time backpackers. I'd suggest newbies look to cover this 75-mile section in 5-7 days.

vamelungeon
04-23-2012, 18:12
It's a beautiful area, lots to see, not the hardest nor easiest trail. You've made a good choice.

flemdawg1
04-23-2012, 18:13
#1 do not expect to go 69 miles in 3 days. Like they say in those diet pill commercials, the results you see above are not typical.

I got Dickie Gap dropped at Dickie gap by Lone Wolf on a cool october morn. made a decent 16 miles to Wise Shelter where my friend and I listened to the Texas Rangers choke away game 6. And it started to rain w/ occasional sleet. Awoke and started hiking in the drizzle, that was turning to sleet and snow. Made it 5 miles to the Thomas Knob Shelter, with my teeth chattering. After eating and warming up (finally) we were done for the day. there were in all about a dozen hikers in that shelter that day/night. the next day we started off with 3" of snow on the ground and more still falling. When we arrived after 4 miles to Elk garden, the snow was blowing in so hard you could hardly see 10 feet in front and no trail to be found either. fearing that continuing would be foolish, especially given the amount of open balds tranversed the day before. we decided to end our hike there, and hitchhiked back to Damascus, where it was sunny and 65 degrees. We felt like total wusses.

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 22:44
Sounds so nice....even though there were storms.
No experience is the same...everyone has their own to talk about & i thank you for sharing that.
I could really picture that.
I wish i would've thought like that earlier..that really is not a bad idea at all

My boyfriend has been on the trail since early April, and he'll be reaching Damascus pretty soon.
So i'll be meeting up with him, seeing a proportion of the trial that grew on me, and letting him go on his way instead of back track
(kinda like all in one)
that's really the only reason why im unable to do it that way.

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 22:46
It's a beautiful area, lots to see, not the hardest nor easiest trail. You've made a good choice.

thanks..can't wait

Angel_Kisses
04-23-2012, 22:59
"#1 do not expect to go 69 miles in 3 days. Like they say in those diet pill commercials, the results you see above are not typical."
Hahaha..that's so true.
I wana go at my own pace....enjoy everything while i can.
& just because you ended the hike there...doesn't mean that's the end.pick up where u all left off.
......im sorry but if the weather was like that i can't say i wouldn't have done the samething.

flemdawg1
04-24-2012, 08:17
I will AK 2 weeks from now.

Angel_Kisses
04-25-2012, 12:01
I will AK 2 weeks from now.

What's AK?

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 12:03
You are, Angel Kisses.

Angel_Kisses
04-25-2012, 12:08
Wow...i feel slowwww haha!
so you'll be going to finish or do another section??
good for you.

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 12:33
Yep may 12 doing Elk Garden to Damscus (3 days) then leapfrogging up to Dickie Gap then NOBO to Bland, Va (9days total)

Angel_Kisses
04-26-2012, 09:52
Yep may 12 doing Elk Garden to Damscus (3 days) then leapfrogging up to Dickie Gap then NOBO to Bland, Va (9days total)

Sounds good...you hiking alone?

flemdawg1
04-26-2012, 19:38
Nope bringing a friend. But this time of year you're never alone.

Angel_Kisses
04-26-2012, 20:54
Nope bringing a friend. But this time of year you're never alone.

I've never been, but I'm pretty sure there's gonna be lots of people to meet and come across.
Especially with all the kinds of events going on. I'm wanting to make Trail Days in Damascus,Va...i think
it's May 18-20th..looks interesting.