PDA

View Full Version : Would love to interview a thru-hiker!

Laura_Clear
04-23-2012, 13:24
Hi Everyone--

My name is Laura Rincones and I work for a marketing research and branding company called Clear. I have a client that makes footwear and apparel who is interested in understanding hikers – what they get out of hiking, their values, and how they manifest in the clothes and shoes that they wear. We're looking to speak to someone who has completed a thru-hike of the AT and figured this would be best place to get in touch!

Would any of you who have done a thru-hike be interested in a 1-2 hour face-to-face discussion at our NYC office sometime next week? We would pay you for your time and I'm sure you'd find the chat a lot of fun. Do let me know if you’re interested by posting back or emailing me at [email protected].

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best,

Laura

Slo-go'en
04-23-2012, 15:01
Laura,

Interviewing just one or even a couple thru-hikers isn't going to do you much good. You need to interview 100 to get any meaningfull data.

When it comes to shoes, preferences are all over the place. The subject of what kind of shoes to wear is a popular topic. Older hikers like myself tend to wear boots, younger hikers tend to go for trail runners. Some want a waterproof shoe, others don't. We all want a shoe with a sole which will stick to wet rock and that is where many boots or shoes fail. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell if your going to slip and fall on your butt until you get out there, and then it's too late.

Spokes
04-23-2012, 15:17
All she said was the client company was "interested in understanding hikers.....manifest in the clothes they wear ... yada, yada, yada" so we really don't know if the focus is for functional long distance hiking footwear or just fashion.

At least they're doing something interspective.

rocketsocks
04-23-2012, 15:39
Personally,I would like a mid boot all leather uppers,and with a sole (molded Vibram)that can be replaced,with out having to put the farm up to buy the boots in the first place!If you could design that!...well I'd put you on my x-mas list!

Spokes
04-23-2012, 15:43
First thing I thought was why isn't there a hiking boot with a sticky long lasting sole (like a climbing shoe) to help me navigate the trail through New Hampshire so I wouldn't bust my arse.

hikerboy57
04-23-2012, 16:06
First thing I thought was why isn't there a hiking boot with a sticky long lasting sole (like a climbing shoe) to help me navigate the trail through New Hampshire so I wouldn't bust my arse.

5.10 does make hiking shoes with sticky rubber. i find the toes too narrow to be practical for trail use.

Capt Nat
04-24-2012, 08:28
The type of person who would respond to this and go to NYC probably isn't going to be a very good representation of the average thru-hiker...

Ender
04-24-2012, 08:45
Except, you know, those of us who actually live here in NYC.

I would agree that footwear choices for thru hikers are vastly varied. Me, I want a full-grain leather mid boot without goretex, that doesn't weigh 2 pounds each boot. No one seems to make that.

Spokes
04-24-2012, 08:50
Who knows, these "hiking clothes and boots" may just show up on Project Runway and critiqued by Tim Gunn

oldbear
04-24-2012, 10:45
Except, you know, those of us who actually live here in NYC.

I would agree that footwear choices for thru hikers are vastly varied. Me, I want a full-grain leather mid boot without goretex, that doesn't weigh 2 pounds each boot. No one seems to make that.
For that reason and the fact that I'm a big person w/ size 14 feet , I'm going to use a Timberland or a Wolverine workboot rather than a hiking boot for next year's thru hike
Laura :
There's a market out there for we big footed hikers

RED-DOG
04-26-2012, 12:50
Can i just get some really cool gear that i don't have to take a second mortgage on my home to buy, i spent three times this year than i did in 06 or even 96, if some one can come up with light, dependable , rugged , and cheap i will get on my knees and kiss your you now what, RED-DOG flip-flop 96 GA-ME 06 and a very costly 2012.:banana