PDA

View Full Version : parking in southern VA

sly dog
04-23-2012, 14:18
Does anyone know what the parking situation is at mount rogers recreation area? My brother and I are starting in Damascus and my brother is ending at partnership shelter area but I'm hiking another week after that. One of our cars needs to be near partnership so anyone have any info on this? I am hoping to make it to between VA606 (Trents Grocery) and Pearisburg so a car will need to be there too. So if anyone can help with these two areas, it would be much appreciated.

Lone Wolf
04-23-2012, 15:46
you can park at the mt. rogers NRA headquarters next to partnership shelter. gates are closed after 4 or 5 PM and all day sunday

FarmerChef
05-03-2012, 21:26
Bump. I have the same question.

Planning a 175ish mile section from Huffman down to Mt. Rogers in the fall and concerned about the parking warnings on the ATC's website. NRA Headquarters would work for me assuming there aren't any smash & grabs happening there after the gates are closed. But my question is are the rest of the parking areas on the map south of Mt. Rogers and north of Damascus still at high risk for vandalism/theft?

sly dog
05-14-2012, 09:28
Lone wolf, I sent ya a pm on Damascus parking and possible shuttle. Also is there anyone that shuttles in the pearisburg area on here?

FlyPaper
05-14-2012, 09:38
Lone wolf, I sent ya a pm on Damascus parking and possible shuttle. Also is there anyone that shuttles in the pearisburg area on here?

See this recent thread...

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.png shuttle service out of pearisburg----anywhere, anytime
my name is don. i am a retiree living in the trail town of pearisburg, va. this is my fourth season shuttling hikers. i enjoy it very much. you'll find my rates to be reasonable. i make every effort to be punctual, as well as reliable. i have general area knowledge and public transportation options available to get to pearisburg. i can break down section hikes based upon the need of the hiker. i ask that any hikers who read this thread, and have used my services, to take the the opportunity to make comments about the service they recieved. thank you, don r., 540-921-7433

Grinder
05-14-2012, 10:26
I parked either my van of my motorcycle at Wood's Hole Hostel for the month of April. They charge $5 a day and down.

I stayed there 3 or 4 nights, eating two meals a day. They charged me $1 per day ($30total)

Can't beat that with a stick!!