PDA

View Full Version : Updated Gear list. Please comment and tell me your opinions on what I should change!

tdowner311
04-23-2012, 23:00
My wife and I are doing a SOBO Thru-Hike of the AT in July. Here is our up to date gear list. As always, comments and advice are appreciated :)

Bags

Still Undecided between the ULA Camino, ULA Circuit, and the Osprey Kestrel 38.
I'm leaning towards the camino because I want to use this bag for traveling beyong the AT.

Sleep

Bag: Big Agnes King Solomon
Pads: 2x NeoAir Xlite
Tent: Tarptent Squall 2

Cooking

1x MSR XGK Multi-Fuel Stove
2x 11oz MSR Fuel Bottles
1x Evernew Titanium 1.9L pot
2x Light my fire Titanium spork
2x Evernew Titanium 300ml mug
1x Steripen Adventurer Opti w/ solar charger
1x Aquamira Drops (as backup I HATE the taste)

His Clothing

- Base Layer

2x ExOfficio Give'N'Go Boxer Briefs
1x Smartwool bodyfit 200 (Long Johns Bot)
1x Smartwool Everyday Crewe (Longjohns Top)
1x Haeleum Faran T-Shirt
2x Smartwool PHD Running Ultralight Socks

- Mid Layer

1x Patagonia Ultralight Down Jacket
1x Outdoor Research PL 150 Gloves
1x Smartwool Reversible Training Beanie
1x Patagonia Men's Roving Cargo Pants

- Rain Layer

1x Patagonia Rain Shadow Jacket
1x Mountain Hardwear Men's Epic Pant

- Shoes
Men's Mountain Masochist Outdry

-Misc
28x28 Cotton Bandana
Sun Tripper Cap
Native Eyeware Hardtop Sunglasses
Petzl PG TIkka Head Lamp
28x34 Discovery Trekking Ultralight Fast-dry towel

Her Clothing

- Base Layer

1x Under Armour Armor Bra
2x Under Armour Seamless Shortys
1x Smartwool Bodyfit 200 Leggings (Long Johns Bot)
1x Smartwool Everyday Crewe (Long Johns Top)
1x Haeleum Maegan T-Shirt
2x Smartwool PHD Light Running Socks

- Mid Layer

1x Patagonia Ultralight Down Jacket (W's)
1x Smartwool Reversible Training Beanie
1x Patagonia Solimar Shorts
1x Black Diamond Jetstream Gloves

- Rain Layer

1x Mountain Hardwear Stretch Typhoon Pants
1x Patagonia Rain Shadow Jacket

- Shoes
Women's Mountain Masochist Outdry

-Misc
28x28 Cotton Bandana
Sun Tripper Cap
Native Eyeware Hardtop Sunglasses
Petzl PG TIkka Head Lamp
28x34 Discovery Trekking Ultralight Fast-dry towel

Other Gear

Camera + Extra Battery + Charger
Diva Cup
Go-Girl Urination Device (LOL!)
1x Set Hiking Poles + Duct Tape
Wash Kit - 2x Toothbrushes 1x Toothpaste 1x Nail Clippers 1x Razor w/ 5 Exchangeable Heads
Med Kit - Painkillers, Allergy pill (just in case), Roll of Moleskin, Med Tape + Gauze, Bismuth Tabs, Cold/Flu pills, Tweezers
Stove Repair Kit
Leatherman Juiced 2

on_the_GOEZ
04-23-2012, 23:17
Bug spray of head net? You will want one (or both), I promise. The bugs are unforgiving up north and well into the fall as you move south. It depends on precipitation and temperature of the area.

2 fuel bottles seems like alot. I do not own an MSR stove but Ive used one quite often and hiked with people often enough who do own one and the fuel lasts a long time. Just a thought...

I would suggest dropping a few items from your clothing, namely: gloves, rain pants (pick up both later in the trip when its colder), the pack towel (bandana will do) maybe consider running shorts or swim trunks as your baselayer instead of multiple boxer briefs (my girlfriend does this as well).

Also, I carried only a single razor blade and never used it once. The leatherman will probably be redundant. Unless your intent on shaving, I would forget the razors (my girlfriend doesnt shave on long hikes, much less her thru hike) You can usually find these in hiker boxes or buy a single razor in town. Just another way to save weight.

All of this could be stuffed in a flat rate bounce box and shipped ahead for pick up every ~two weeks, especially the battery charger. An extra EMPTY fuel bottle could be included in the box if you find youre using more than you thought. Again, just weight saving advice, IMO.

Finally, +1 everything ULA.

rocketsocks
04-24-2012, 01:29
Personally I'd keep the gloves,gets cold at night and during inclimate weather.Add some crushed up vitamin
C to your Aqua Mired water,after it's set the desired time,to impart a better taste.Every thing else looks good.Now if your looking to cut weight anywhere thats a different story.But all your gear will work nicely.Have a great hike.

tdowner311
04-24-2012, 08:19
Bug spray of head net? You will want one (or both), I promise. The bugs are unforgiving up north and well into the fall as you move south. It depends on precipitation and temperature of the area.

Our T-shirts have the InsectShield bug repellant and we will be carrying OFF DEEP Woods Repellant just in case.

2 fuel bottles seems like alot. I do not own an MSR stove but Ive used one quite often and hiked with people often enough who do own one and the fuel lasts a long time. Just a thought...

The stove says it burns roughly 1oz of fuel per 10 minutes. Wasn't sure if 11 ounces would be enough for some reason.

I would suggest dropping a few items from your clothing, namely: gloves, rain pants (pick up both later in the trip when its colder), the pack towel (bandana will do) maybe consider running shorts or swim trunks as your baselayer instead of multiple boxer briefs (my girlfriend does this as well).

In my experience going without some kind of boxer briefs yields to some very uncomfortable legs for me. As for the weight of the gloves and rain pants we will have to deal with it because we are going to do the hike without any mail drops.

As for the razor, The wife is hellbent on shaving on our trip. But I'll let her read up :D

Thanks for the tip about the razors/ leatherman though. :)

on_the_GOEZ
04-24-2012, 08:42
Our T-shirts have the InsectShield bug repellant and we will be carrying OFF DEEP Woods Repellant just in case.

As for the razor, The wife is hellbent on shaving on our trip. But I'll let her read up :D

Have you used they shirts before in a buddy situation? Ive always wondered how they (and other 'bug repellant' clothing) work...

FWIW Im hellbent on my girlfriend shaving too buuuuuut.... We all Hike our own Hike :D

Good luck and have fun!

on_the_GOEZ
04-24-2012, 08:43
No coffee = typos. **In a buggy situation?

Moose2001
04-24-2012, 09:23
Hey Tdowner - interesting "new" list. You've changed a lot since the last post. Good list. Here are some of my comments:

Pack - "I'm leaning towards the camino because I want to use this bag for traveling beyong the AT" Buy a pack that works best for you and don't worry about after the trail. You'll have that thing on your back all day. If it doesn't fit or isn't comfortable, you'll be VERY unhappy. After the trail, your backpack is pretty well trashed. It's stinky and dirty. You may not want to use it again!

Sleeping Bag: Big Agnes King Solomon - took me a while to find this bag. I didn't realize it's a double bag. It weighs well over 5 pounds! Not sure which one of you is going to carry this monster but it's going to put a hell of a dent in your pack! I've done two thrus with a significant other. I would NEVER put us both in one bag. We both have different sleeping styles, different sleeping temps and different ways we move. Personally, I think you would be much better off having two seperate sleeping bags.

Water treatment - I wouldn't go with the Steripen. I've heard too many unhappy users to recommend it. Either go with the Aquamira or a filter. You don't need both!

Clothing - I can't tell for sure if you're hiking in shorts or long pants. You have cargo pants and rain pants listed. Ditch the cargo pants, hike in shorts and use the rain pants if you're cold.

Shoes - looks like you're planning on hiking in a waterproof shoe. Not a good idea! They are hot, they wet out, take forever to dry out and often cause blisters because your feet sweat. Regular trail runners or non-waterproof boot is your best bet.

There was a suggestion to drop your pack towel. I wouldn't. You'll need it with the tarp tent to remove condensation. Yes, you'll have it. Two of you in a single wall in Maine. Yup...it'll be there!

How about bear bag? Line to hang it with? Maps/guidebooks? Journals? Cellphones? What else are you carrying? It all adds up to weight on your back!

Enjoy the trip. No matter what you start out with, it won't be what you end up with. As you hike, you'll learn what works, what you need and adjust your load.

Tom Murphy
04-24-2012, 10:50
+1 to all of Moose2001's comments

Sleeping bag - you might try to kind two rectangular sleeping bags that can be joined together as a single bag, these wouldn't be as efficient as mummy bags but you give you some options OR maybe something like this http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Large%20Family.htm.

Stove - I am surprised by the stove you listed. I use a SVEA in the winter so I <3 white gas stoves but you are going south starting in July. A propane canister stove is SO much easier and the kewl kids will all have akly stoves.

A small aluminum windscreen will save you lots of fuel no matter what stove type you use

I would take the two fuel bottle if you are planning longer stretches between towns. You will learn pretty quickly if you can get by with one or really need two.

Water - Consider a gravity filter either DIY or something like the Platypus Cleanstream, STERIPENs may have improved over the years but when they first came out they had a high rate of failure

Layers - I am a big believer always bringing a hat and gloves; I have a thin wool beanie and thin wool glove liners from smartwool; I find them to be a very convenient to regulate my body temp without stopping to shed layers, they add warmth to the sleep system, and the hat helps keep your sleeping bag clean

Hygiene - hand sanitizer or soap, more important than water treatment in preventing illness

Good list and a big improvement over the first.

tdowner311
04-24-2012, 11:35
I can't tell for sure if you're hiking in shorts or long pants. You have cargo pants and rain pants listed. Ditch the cargo pants, hike in shorts and use the rain pants if you're cold.

Sorry! I'm taking the Patagonia Cargo Shorts! Not Pants. Typed out this list last night right before bed...

Shoes - looks like you're planning on hiking in a waterproof shoe. Not a good idea! They are hot, they wet out, take forever to dry out and often cause blisters because your feet sweat. Regular trail runners or non-waterproof boot is your best bet.

Any suggestions as far as comfortable shoes? I was looking at the non-waterproof mountain masochist or the inov-8 315.

How about bear bag? Line to hang it with? Maps/guidebooks? Journals? Cellphones? What else are you carrying? It all adds up to weight on your back!

I have 0 experience with bear bags. Any suggestions on bags or what kind of line to hang it with? We planned on taking a GPS but havent figured out just which one yet. I will be taking a journal. Other than that I think that covers everything we will be carrying.

tdowner311
04-24-2012, 11:41
Water treatment - I wouldn't go with the Steripen. I've heard too many unhappy users to recommend it. Either go with the Aquamira or a filter. You don't need both!

I've seen alot of mixed reviews on it. I just decided its something I needed to try for myself with the Aquamira as backup.

tdowner311
04-24-2012, 11:44
Stove - I am surprised by the stove you listed. I use a SVEA in the winter so I <3 white gas stoves but you are going south starting in July. A propane canister stove is SO much easier and the kewl kids will all have akly stoves.

I wanted a stove that is going to last a LONG time that can burn just about anything. From what I've read, nothing even compares to the XGK.

A small aluminum windscreen will save you lots of fuel no matter what stove type you use

Thanks! I'll plan to take one then :D

tdowner311
04-24-2012, 11:48
Also. We decided on a bag. We are both taking a ULA Catalyst.

Flaucheux
04-24-2012, 11:48
I like the regular, non-waterproof mountain masochist, they are awesome! I sloshed through swamps up to my knees and they always dried very quickly. In my experience goretex or outdry just traps the inevitable moisture in. Better to have quick-dry breathable shoes.

Get a nice food bag or 2. My wife carried the freeze-dried dinners and such and I pretty much carried all other food. This worked, because I ended up with more weight and the amount of space was about the same between our 2 bags. Granite gear makes an awesome food bag. I brought some lightweight para cord and never had trouble slinging our food bags up over a branch.

Flaucheux
04-24-2012, 11:53
These bags are awesome: http://www.granitegearstore.com/Air-Zippsack-P76C50.aspx

Moose2001
04-24-2012, 12:46
I have 0 experience with bear bags. Any suggestions on bags or what kind of line to hang it with? We planned on taking a GPS but havent figured out just which one yet. I will be taking a journal. Other than that I think that covers everything we will be carrying.

You just need a regular OR or Granite Gear stuff sack large enough to hold all your food. I like the ones that have a strap on the end. I use a small biner to connect the end strap of the stuff sack to my cord. That way the bag hangs upside down. Helps keep water out if it's raining. I carry about 50 feet of light weight cord. No need for more than that.

Leave the GPS at home or in the store! No need for one. It's pretty damn hard to get lost on the AT. Just excess weight.

Moose2001
04-24-2012, 12:47
Also. We decided on a bag. We are both taking a ULA Catalyst.

Good choice as long as you don't overload them!

marty1983
04-24-2012, 14:43
Great gear list so far. I'm not familiar with the Give n' Go boxer briefs. I wore Nike compression shorts and they were amazing. They wicked all the nasty sweat and other body fluids & smells that accumulated "down there" and also dried super fast after a quick rinse with some camp water (not in the stream please)! Just my 2 cents. Enjoy the wonderful time you will have with your wife!

bigcranky
04-24-2012, 15:43
The only suggestion I would have is to take all this gear out on a trail somewhere near home for a long weekend -- Memorial Day is coming up -- and use it. Even just a couple of days of hiking ten miles or more and sleeping in the tent will go a long way toward improving your chances of completing the AT. If you can do more than one weekend, that will help more than twice as much. Seriously.

BTW if you do not already have the Squall you might check out the SMD Lunar Duo as a two-person shelter. My wife and I have owned and used many Tarptent-brand and similar shelters, including the Squall, and the Lunar Duo is the one we like best. The Lunar Duo adds about a half pound over the Squall, but it's well worth it in my opinion for the interior space.

Good luck.

flemdawg1
04-24-2012, 15:50
I would've kept the JRB Sierra Sniveler quilts over the BA King Solomon ( make sure the pads fit in that bag BTW). Not only would you have a better bag for the weight, it also is wearble of you could ditch the down jackets.

I'd switch out a long sleeve shirt for a windshirt, I find them extremely versatile.

Not crazy about whitegas stoves, no other type of stove requires a field repair kit. Its pretty easy to get butane canisters or alcohol out there.

MyName1sMud
04-24-2012, 15:52
Saving this thread for my records. Thanks.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk 2