PDA

View Full Version : ...calling me home

K-Bear
04-04-2005, 12:33
Well, this time last year I was on the trail trying my first long distance hike.
I didn't make it as far as i'd hoped (not even half way actually) but I completely fell in love with the A.T. So much so, that i'm moving there. Well not ON the trail, but as close as I could be. In June i'm picking up my few belongings, saying goodbye to the rat race, harried, stressful, pace of life in Atlanta and moving to Bryson City, N.C.!!!
I kinda felll in love with this tiny place last year while I spent a rainy zero day in town with pepe and tinman. Now this town of about 1400 is growing by one! I hope they are able to see past the long hair and sandals, and hopefully I can see past the rebel flags and chewing tobacco and find some common ground. First week of june I bid farewell to my desk, three hole punch, and DSL connection. I have an apartment secured (hehe $300.00/mo SWEET!) and one part time job shooting video (i'm a cameraman) so even if I have to take another part time job in a pizza hut or gas-n-sip or whatever, i'm still just down the road from Fontana Village, the Smokies, all the places I call home now. I only really felt at home for the first time in my life last year on the trail.
As for trail magic around there...get ready!!! I've got some lovin spoonfulls to repay (rat pack at brown gap, moo and her crew at addis gap, standing bear family, and everyone else) Once I get setteled in, the bulk of this year's nobo crop will be up ahead but I am already thinking of ways to help the class of 06' on their way.
I can't wait to put a lot more days on the trail in my future!
See ya in the Smokies!!!
K-Bear

The Solemates
04-04-2005, 12:45
wow that made my heart smile. :jump

Brushy Sage
04-04-2005, 15:17
Horace Kephart (wrote Our Southern Highlanders) is buried in Bryson City in a hilltop cemetery, his grave marked with a boulder. I understand it is tradition to take him a little sip of mountain dew or other such beverage when you visit. He, also, moved from the city to the mountains, and became influential in establishing what is now the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The library at Western Carolina University, (in Cullowhee, not far from Bryson City), has lots of his written materials.

Welcome to western North Carolina!

K-Bear
04-04-2005, 15:32
Thanks, Brushy Sage! I am going to do a little more research on Kephart...sounds really interesting! I think I know the graveyard you're talking about. It's up on a huge hill next to a church (ok, that sounds vague, but, this is a seriously HUGE hill). I'll be sure to go pay a visit. I hate Mountain Dew but I'll be creative and take a sip of something. :-?

Thanks for the welcome, I LOVE Asheville!

SalParadise
04-04-2005, 18:27
Congratulations, K-Bear! what a move! I with you and Pepe nothing but the best. I do hope we run into each other again on my hike this year. God Bless.

Slimer
04-05-2005, 17:51
what's wrong with rebel flags and chewing bakr?

LEGS
04-06-2005, 01:13
hey k-bear, legs here! damn good to hear from ya and i think your move is gonna be the best ya ever made, take care dude, will definatly look ya up when i get over there and thats pretty often these days. hey, and do that research, it'll make a fine book for ya. and the dew they talkin about is made from corn!!!! DUH! ya been to long in the bright lights! ha ha, have a good'un man and i'll be seein ya soon.

LEGS
04-06-2005, 01:16
not a damn thing slimmer. he'll adjust after a few weeks in his new home, he's a fast learner!
what's wrong with rebel flags and chewing bakr?

K-Bear
04-06-2005, 11:32
what's happeniin buddy! OKOK...city boy don't know bout the real mountain dew yet...you know I know about the corn kind though! Man I sure would love to see ya again partner...hope we cross paths up that way! Hey shoot me some contact info would ya? Ive got a picture to send ya! you gettin over to trail days this year?
shine on!
K-Bear

LEGS
04-06-2005, 23:32
what's happeniin buddy! OKOK...city boy don't know bout the real mountain dew yet...you know I know about the corn kind though! Man I sure would love to see ya again partner...hope we cross paths up that way! Hey shoot me some contact info would ya? Ive got a picture to send ya! you gettin over to trail days this year?
shine on!
K-Bearhey man , i gonna be in the big d on the 8th,if your gonna be there, i'll be same place as last year. and guess whos comin in from colorado? yup, thats right, i think they are drivin in for the week. see ya there.still glad to hear about your move, now you can wear that hat with pride, lol,take care buddy and drive safe.