PDA

View Full Version : Nols

RedBeerd
04-24-2012, 08:03
Has anybody here ever taken one of the NOLS courses? Its on my to-do list after my LT hike. It would be a great experience. Ive only met one other hiker who went on an Alaska trip and he strongly recommended it. You can earn college credits too. What do you all think?

sterling98
04-24-2012, 12:26
I'm taking one this summer. They say the average pack weight is 40-55 lbs including 9 days of food. I can pack my own gear for cold weather with 18 lbs of food for less than 35 lbs. I guess I'll find out this summer what kind of crap they put in your packs... For starters, a synthetic bag with 3 lbs of fill and 80+ liter backpack is on the gear list. I would go with the UL courses, unless you like to haul huge weights over small miles. Their "UL" is similar to an average AT hiker's pack weight. I guess I'll learn more in a few months and can tell you about my experience.

RedBeerd
04-24-2012, 13:25
I have read the NOLS way is the heavy way..but I have only found 14 day UL trips and im interested in the 30 days. I dont want to carry a heavy pack BUT I can practice my UL techniques on my own time instead of that being the focus of the UL course. On a 30 day they seem to cover more back country skills which i am personally more interested in. Which course are you doing? How old are you?

Mags
04-24-2012, 14:55
Has anybody here ever taken one of the NOLS courses? Its on my to-do list after my LT hike. It would be a great experience. Ive only met one other hiker who went on an Alaska trip and he strongly recommended it. You can earn college credits too. What do you all think?

I recently took a WFA class through them. A little different then what you are asking...but FWIW I was impressed with the level of instruction and thoroughness.

If I had the time, I'd take the two week WFR course without a doubt.

Mike@NOLS
04-24-2012, 15:42
Hey Heavypack627, sterling98 is correct by saying that the average pack weight is between 40-55lbs (but it also depends on which course you will be taking). We break students up into tent/cook groups so you will not only be carrying your own gear, but also food which is around 10lbs, and group gear such as tents, stoves, cook gear, and other smaller pieces equipment. Remember this doesn't include the 2-3 liters of water you carry for the day. If you have any other questions let me know.

Mike Hepler
National Outdoor Leadership School
[email protected]
307-335-2319
([email protected])

RedBeerd
04-24-2012, 15:49
Thanks Mike, will do. Planning on next summer so for now I am mostly interested in hearing peoples experiences and what they got out of a nols course.

Smooth & Wasabi
04-24-2012, 22:54
I have several friends who had amazing experiences at NOLS, it was a little too rich for my blood and unfortunately did not fit in the college plan. Not UL but IMO you take a NOLS course to learn technical wilderness skills and soft leadership skills. I have been wanting to do one of their backcountry ski courses for years.

sterling98
04-25-2012, 12:07
Just curious, why are there no UL courses for 14 and 15 year olds? That would seem to be the place to start with for lowering pack weighs, given that's nearly 50% of their body weights...

trapper
04-25-2012, 19:12
I seen the cost on these trips. who can actually afford them?

RedBeerd
04-26-2012, 06:47
I seen the cost on these trips. who can actually afford them?

A young kid who lives at home and works hard!

garlic08
04-26-2012, 09:07
In my hikes through WY, I've encountered several NOLS trips. I toured the shop and chatted with some of the instructors during a nearo day in Lander. It's an impressive organization all the way through, from the kitchen to the gear shop to the instructors. They're the real deal.

To their everlasting credit, too, every person I met in the organization, in the shop and in the field, was very interested in my ultra-light methods. Unlike some on this forum and many I meet in the field, not one dismissed the notion of lightening loads. Every person I talked to about it was actively searching for ways to reduce what the students carry. They are well aware of the weights they're asking folks to carry and are very open-minded about it.

scudder
04-26-2012, 14:04
I recently took a NOLS course as part of a leadership training for buildinggoodness.org. Emphasis was on group dynamics and leadership skills . Highest quality content and instruction.