PDA

View Full Version : Looking for ideas for a 60-70 mile section Fall 2012

Buffalo Skipper
04-24-2012, 09:17
Three friends of mine and I are looking to do a 5 or 6 day section hike this Fall (exact dates TBD). As we will be driving up from Florida, we are looking at somewhere down south. The Smoky Mountains are about as far as we would likely be able to go in a single day drive.

All of us are experienced backpackers with a few hundred miles experience, but none of us have done anything over 3 days long, so 5 or 6 days will be taking it to the next level. All of us are in good shape and age 46-60. Two are lightweight backpackers, one wants to become one (plenty of time) and I do not know the style of our last.

I first want to focus on where, but any ideas on location, staging or prep are welcome.

Ewker
04-24-2012, 09:20
Do the Smokies this year before you have to start paying to backpack there.

Buffalo Skipper
04-24-2012, 09:32
Do the Smokies this year before you have to start paying to backpack there.

I had though about the Smokies (I have day hiked a few of those miles), but I had not considered the backpack fees.

It is right at the outer limit of where we could stage in a day. It would likely be early October. May be "crowded" with the colors. Two of us hammock, and two do not, so we could stay at the shelters, maybe 2 in 2 out (I am familiar with the Smokies shelter rules).

Moose2001
04-24-2012, 09:35
I wouldn't do the Smokies with a group of hikers who don't hike much or are newbies. I've seen many hikers in the Smokies who were miserable because one of their friends talked them into going.

How about if you just start at Springer and go North? Pretty section. There's a gap to bail/resupply after 3 days (Blood) and then an exit point 3 days later at Dicks Creek Gap. Want another 3 days? Keep going to Winding Stair.

Cookerhiker
04-24-2012, 09:58
With an early October start, I recommend hiking at higher elevations to increase your chances of enjoying Fall colors. How about starting at Dick's Creek Gap/Rt. 76 - last road crossing in GA - and hiking to the NOC? Distance is 67 miles and includes ascending Standing Indian, the highest point on the AT south of the Smokies. Once you're north of Winding Stair, you're almost always over 4,000' and over 5,000' on Wayah Bald.

You could also hike this stretch SOBO but you'd start with a long climb out of the Nantahala Gorge whereas SOBO breaks your body in a tad more gently.

bigcranky
04-24-2012, 09:58
I agree with the suggestion to start at Springer and hike north as far as you get. Great section, should be pretty in the fall, good resupply after 3/4 days, and plenty of places to get picked up when you are done. Unicoi Gap would be 50 miles from Springer, and there is a major road (well, it's paved) there.

fredmugs
04-25-2012, 09:07
I agree with the Smokies if you intedn to eventually hike the entire trail just to get it out of the way. Technically you cannot hang anywhere in the park since you are required to stay in the shelters. If you hike in Oct I doubt you will encounter full shelters which would allow you to technically sleep outside of them. On the other hand you may not have Rangers or ridge runners out there either. If you're dead set on hanging then I would consider a stretch that begins or ends at Fontana Dam since you could have the NOC as a place for re-supply and you could stay in the bunkhouse. Fontana Dam is also a pretty good place to leave a vehicle for several days.

Kerosene
04-25-2012, 12:40
The problem with the Smokies and new section hikers is that you have to keep to your reservation schedule, which can make for some unreasonable days at times. I would probably just start at Springer and hike north, probably to Dicks Creek Gap (Hiawassee).

Buffalo Skipper
04-25-2012, 13:09
Thank you all for the ideas. It has really started me thinking, especially of the logistics of each section.

What it made me realilze is that I have a friend with a cabin in Whittier, NC (outside of Cherokee). If we drive up there and spend the night, then stage one vehicle at Fontana (20 minute drive?) and drive over to Standing Indian, that would be about 70ish miles of hiking inbetween. Good for 5-6 days. Then we could stay at the cabin overnight again on the way out also before driving south to pick up the car, mostly on the way).

Is this a reasonable stretch? Can a resupply package be sent to NOC? Is that about the half way mark of this stretch? Can vehicles be left at the trailhead on the road leading to Standing Indian campground? All things we need to figure out.

I have hiked Mt Albert and Wayah Bald (day hikes) and am at least roughly familiar with the area.

Moose2001
04-25-2012, 13:14
or......start at Newfound Gap and hike to Hot Springs! I think the north end of the Park is the prettiest section anyway.

Buffalo Skipper
04-25-2012, 13:17
or......start at Newfound Gap and hike to Hot Springs! I think the north end of the Park is the prettiest section anyway.

Which would work as well with vehicle staging if we take advantage of the cabin in Whittier...

Definately food for thought. Hadn't considered that one.

Rain Man
04-25-2012, 13:58
... stage one vehicle at Fontana (20 minute drive?) and drive over to Standing Indian, that would be about 70ish miles of hiking inbetween. Good for 5-6 days. ... Is this a reasonable stretch? Can a resupply package be sent to NOC? Is that about the half way mark of this stretch? Can vehicles be left at the trailhead on the road leading to Standing Indian campground?

Be very careful about estimating driving time in the mountains based on similar distances in Florida.

The stretch you are considering was at one time called the toughest part of the whole AT by some. Since then, some switchbacks have been built to soften the Stecoahs, though they can still be tough.

There is a forest service road up to Deep Gap just before Standing Indian, with a small parking area there. Check with the local trail maintenance club for how safe it is to park there and how rough the road is nowadays. You can also leave a vehicle down at Standing Indian Campground and hike up the Kimsey Creek Trail to the AT.

By "NOC," I assume you mean Wesser, NC. And yes, a supply package can be mailed there. Without checking actual mileages, I think that is about halfway. Wesser is a classic stop on the AT. Besides the NOC, there is a nice restaurant there, right on the river.

However, I'd start at Amicalola State Park and hike up Springer and resupply at Neels Gap (THE classic resupply outfitter for the whole AT), and finish at Dicks Creek Gap.

Whatever you decide, it's hard to go wrong with any section hike in GA, NC, or TN.

Rain:sunMan

Cookerhiker
04-25-2012, 15:58
Thank you all for the ideas. It has really started me thinking, especially of the logistics of each section.

What it made me realilze is that I have a friend with a cabin in Whittier, NC (outside of Cherokee). If we drive up there and spend the night, then stage one vehicle at Fontana (20 minute drive?) and drive over to Standing Indian, that would be about 70ish miles of hiking inbetween. Good for 5-6 days. Then we could stay at the cabin overnight again on the way out also before driving south to pick up the car, mostly on the way).

Is this a reasonable stretch? Can a resupply package be sent to NOC? Is that about the half way mark of this stretch? Can vehicles be left at the trailhead on the road leading to Standing Indian campground? All things we need to figure out.

I have hiked Mt Albert and Wayah Bald (day hikes) and am at least roughly familiar with the area.

It's actually 80 miles from Deep Gap and echoing Rain Man, you have to allow for realistic driving time to get from the cabin to Fontana and to Deep Gap. If you only have 5 full days of hiking, 16 mpd is pretty vigorous, especially on the northbound climb out of the NOC.

Nice hike but then he has to deal with the reservations policies in the Smokies. But then again, occurring at the beginning of the hike makes it more likely he can reach each destination.

Buffalo Skipper
04-26-2012, 14:20
I have camped with the family at Standing Indian, and we spent the week tooling around the area from the camground to the whole of the south side of GSMNP. I am at least a bit familiar with the trails having dayhiked up both Wayah Bald and Mt Albert.

I double checked the distance from Rock Gap Shelter to Fontana Dam. 60.5 miles, with Nantahala/US 19 being 31.1, just about exactly 1/2 way. If we do 6 days, that is 10 miles/day. Not too bad, even if it is a fairly rugged section.

So, I guess the next question is how much does it cost to move 4 guys from Fontana to just past Winding Stair Gap, and is that less than the cost of driving an extra vehicle to and from Pensacola.

louisb
04-26-2012, 14:41
Sounds like a fun trip, want a fifth? ;)

--louis