PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent rear pole breakage issue?

tlbj6142
04-04-2005, 13:33
I first read about this happening in Chris' AT section hike in '04. My brother (AT'04) just finished a week long hike which terminated near the NOC. He mentioned that "several" folks had their rear poles snap right at the apex.

While I don't own a Tarptent, it certainly looks like the rear pole is not under any serious stresses. So, unless a foot of snow fell overnight, what would make the pole snap?

RockyTrail
04-04-2005, 13:51
Never had any trouble with mine in over a year's use. You do bow the rear pole a bit (like an archery bow) to fit into the floor grommets, but not that much. I would think if you fell on the assembled tent you might break it. It's a great tent BTW.

Henry does mention in the instructions to make sure the rear pole is assembled into an arc-shaped pole and "not a helix." Because each pole section is curved, by twisting each piece progressively about 90 degrees or so you can end up with a corkscrew-like pole (instead of the desired arc shape) that if bowed could be put under a great deal of uneccessary stress. I'm fairly sure the poles are Easton which makes good quality stuff.

chris
04-04-2005, 14:15
I spoke with Henry about this very problem during the summertime. The rear arch pole is under significant stress, though no more than any other tent pole on a tunnel design. The Easton Virga poles are very, very rigid, unlike the aluminum Eastons on my Walrus tent that are a little more flexible. So, the pole is curved to take off some of the stress. Easton sent him a set of tarp poles that did not have the correct curvature and this led to the shattering that I and others have experienced.

Henry sent me a new pole that he had shortened slightly and this lasted the rest of the AT and the GDT. However, right after finishing the GDT this one also shattered. He has since sent me another one and it is going strong, though only with about 14 bag nights in it so far. I'm bringing it with me this summer.

RockyTrail
04-04-2005, 15:23
Chris, when did you get your tarptent that had the problem pole? Is this applicable only to the Virga tent or the Squall? Trying to figure out if my Squall is part of that batch, I got it in March 2004 and I remember Henry had to wait for Easton to deliver the poles (Easton was behind at the time) before he could ship it.:-?

I still think it's a great tent however.

chris
04-04-2005, 15:42
I got my tent just after Henry got the new batch of poles in March 2004. The pole broke on, I believe, the 10th time I put up the tarp. So, if it hasn't busted yet, you might have a corrected bent pole. I like the Virga a lot, but suspect that some of the seams might give out this summer as they are looking a little stressed.

foodbag
04-04-2005, 20:00
One thing is for sure, if there's ever a problem with any of his products he will make it right. The guy has customer service second to none ! He makes great stuff :banana