PDA

View Full Version : Rash under straps of pack...

kidchill
04-24-2012, 17:22
Alright, kind of a stupid question, but looking for input anyways. I've been training for a SOBO thru-hike this year and have been using some kind of Osprey internal frame pack (not sure of the name) with 30lbs of weights. This weekend I packed up all of my gear and some food (roughly 24lbs) and did an over-nighter with a different pack. I got a crazy heat rash where the straps were. Now, considering I was carrying a lighter load, this kind of shocked me; however, most of my training hikes are roughly 10miles a clip, vs almost 30miles in 2 days this past weekend. I did a 22mile hike 2 weeks ago (with the osprey), but was only carrying about 15lbs and had no problems with the rash. So, I'm curious if you guys think this is due to the pack being on longer or a change in the pack dynamics (foam strapping, breathability, fit, etc). Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm curious if I need to test some extra padding with this pack, check fitting, or search for something new. The pack I'm using is the HMG windrider southwest.

KristalB
04-24-2012, 17:48
Were you wearing a shirt between the pack straps and your skin? It will rub funny if not. You also may want to rule out any chemical irritations from either your shirt or the straps. Also, when I wore cotton in warmer weather I had difficulties with irritations as you described. However when I moved to the dry-fit type shirts, that resolved the issue. The heavier the pack, the more I need to cinch around my waist to take the weight of my shoulders. You can try that too. If all else fails, can you take it back to where you purchased it to see if they will exchange or help you problem solve for you? By the way, good luck with training for your SOBO hike. How exciting!! :)

flemdawg1
04-24-2012, 18:05
Yep what Kristal said. Look at your shirt 1st.

kidchill
04-24-2012, 18:31
Nah, the only variables that changed were the pack, weight, and length of hike. I don't wear cotton, usually a merino wool long-sleeve (ice breaker 150) for protection against ticks, and then sometimes a short-sleeve merino wool over top of that if it's a little chilly. It was kind of warm on Saturday but quite cool on Sunday. I just compared the straps on both packs and the osprey has significantly more padding; however, they both contain a mesh type material on the underside of the strap. I hiked for 4 consecutive days last week and didn't notice the rash until Sunday when I got home. I think the main variable is the pack straps. I'm wondering if I need to ghetto rig some extra padding in there. I'd just rather address this issue now then have to worry about it on the trail.

Loneoak
04-24-2012, 18:32
Was there a seam that runs along the top of your shoulder on your shirt?

Pony
04-24-2012, 20:36
I have scars on my shoulders from this. Not sure how it started but they turned into a handful of pea sized sores. I chalked it up to being sweaty and dirty for five months. Since I had my pack on nearly every day for five months they never really healed until I came home. The best part was when they started to scab up and stuck to my shirt. Invariably I would take my shirt off and the scab, ouch. I love hiking, there's all sorts of uncomfortable things that come along with it.

bfayer
04-24-2012, 21:20
I would try hydropel or a similar product on your skin where the straps rub. It may be that the straps on the new pack are retaining more moisture than the old one. If that is the issue the hydropel should prevent the rash. If that is the case you can make a better informed decision on which pack to stick with.

daddytwosticks
04-25-2012, 07:27
Sweat build-up under the straps? When I hike, my chest area gets a type of red rash that is caused by sweat drying. Rinsing my hiking shirt out often in warm weather and a wipe down with baby wipes does the trick. :)