PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum and new to hiking

HangNhike
04-24-2012, 19:39
Hello all. I am posting on here in hopes of getting some advice and knowledge. I am a very novice hiker. So much so that I have only done one day hike on the FL trail. On May 8th I am heading out for 4 days (3 nights) on the AT. I am going with two friends who are both Eagle Scouts and experienced backpackers. I am a "hammock camper" too and looking forward to using my setup on the trail. We are doing a section in Tennessee from the Dennis Cove road parking to TN91 parking area. Any advice for hiking this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 10:30
have you spent a night in your hammock with temps in the mid-30s? Somewhat likely those temps can come in early May.

Did that section last summer, the toughest part is the long 2000 ft climb up from Watuaga Dam. Make sure to take a break at the Laurel Fork Falls.

Rain Man
04-25-2012, 13:42
You didn't mention, but if not already planning on it in Dennis Cove, seriously consider checking out Kincora Hostel run by Bob Peoples. Great guy!

Rain:sunMan

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 17:03
have you spent a night in your hammock with temps in the mid-30s? Somewhat likely those temps can come in early May.

Did that section last summer, the toughest part is the long 2000 ft climb up from Watuaga Dam. Make sure to take a break at the Laurel Fork Falls.

I have not stayed in it with temps that low before. I do have a 35 degree rated under quilt and 35 degree rated mummy bag

We are stopping at the shelter at the top of that mountain which i believe is Laurel Fork. We are hiking south to north and the first day will only be about 5 miles because of that 2000ft climb lol

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 17:53
I'm sorry, I made it seem like the Falls and Watauga dam were close. Sorry those two places are 10 miles apart. looks like you do have a pretty steep climb between Dennis Cove and 321 though. It must not have been all that bad, because I don't remember it. I just remeber it being hot and dunking my head when I got to the lake.

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 17:59
I'm sorry, I made it seem like the Falls and Watauga dam were close. Sorry those two places are 10 miles apart. looks like you do have a pretty steep climb between Dennis Cove and 321 though. It must not have been all that bad, because I don't remember it. I just remeber it being hot and dunking my head when I got to the lake.

I knew what you meant lol. When I was referencing Laural Fork I meant the shelter, not the falls. I believe that's shelter is at the top of that ascent...

Montana AT05
04-25-2012, 23:29
Have fun, hammocks are great. A few tips from my perspective:

1. Make sure your hammock sets up taut--your weight once in it will cause it to droop and too much droop means you'll end up curled up in a ball in the middle.
2. Make sure you use a knot that is easy to undo in the morning. I used to tie huge nasty knots that had no rhyme or reason and the morning tear-down was hell. Check out Youtube, there are some excellent knot lessons for hammock use there.
3. Bring a sleeping pad, it will keep you warm in the hammock and will give you the option to sleep on the ground too if desired.
4. Pack light. As a novice hiker you'll want to keep adding things in...try not too! You don't need to be ultra-light, just sensible. Aim for 30-35 lbs (including food and water). If you can get below that, you're already far above the curve.
5. PRE-TAPE YOUR HEELS AND FEET. Duck tape, or, even better, Leukotape (can buy via amazon). As a new hiker, you may not know the effect a backpack has on your feet--it causes increased friction and for most of us, that means blisters. You might be of the lucky few who never have that problem. But I advise pre-taping the back and sides of your heals at minimum (one wide swath of tape per heel) and maybe some at where your toes meet your foot. A comfortable old pair of shoes is > brand new 300 dollar Italian made full leather hiking boots.

Blisters are the leading cause of misery for new and veteran hikers alike.

6. When packing your backpack, try to consider volume as well as weight--make sure everything fits snugly in the pack versus dangling outside of it. A more compact pack (external or internal frame) will be easier to carry and prevents your body from over-working to compensate for the pack weight sloshing around.
7. It may seem odd, but part of the joy of backpacking is the effort you must expend. It's why people feel such a rush for having WALKED somewhere, versus the indifferent feeling of driving to an overlook, hopping out of the car, taking a picture then driving off. Remember this as you agonize upwards and feel the punishing downhills.
8. And, as you hike, imagine what it would be like to come back there someday, perhaps on your way to Maine.

Have fun, you've picked a good part of the trail. And if it rains, well, refer back to point 7 above.

HangNhike
05-06-2012, 15:35
Heading out tomorrow. Temps will in the mid 60's during the day, mid 40s at night. 60% chance of rain the first day (also out 2000 ft ascend day). Any final words of advice?

camperjames64
05-06-2012, 22:39
Am going to try that tape trick when I start.thanx.good advice Montana.