PDA

View Full Version : Using Trail Runner shoes for normal backpacking?

HangNhike
04-24-2012, 19:51
I'm very new to hiking and this is my first backpacking trip. I went and purchased a pair of shoes today and I know I wanted a lighter shoe as I know that a heavy shoe fatigues me. After trying on a few pairs i ended up with the Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra 2 shoes. Apparently these are trail runners. Any issue using these as a regular hiking shoe? Pack load prob 25-35 lbs...

BabySue
04-24-2012, 20:06
Excellent choice. You'll find lots of trail runners on hikers. It's mostly a matter of preference. Use them if they work for you. If you find you need more ankle support, cushion, etc. then upgrade to boots someday. My guess is you'll be fine. Note: with a lot of shoes in this price range & up the assumption is that many wearers will replace the insole thus the factory insole is wimpy. If they seem too thin, that's likely the problem. Also, there's a thread way down in the gear section about how to get free replacement laces if your cinch mechanism loses grip. If this happens on a trip where you can't get laces, just cut them & tie them like regular ones.

Malto
04-24-2012, 20:32
No problem with them at all. Generally they are a more naroow shoe especially in the toe box vs. something like the LaSportiva Wildcat. But if it feels good go with it. Give yourself a bit of time to get used to the laces. Once you master them you will likely love them since they wont lossen up especially on the downhills.

Papa D
04-24-2012, 20:42
You are off to a good start with trail runners - - don't let some know-nothing clerk in an outdoor store sell you some heavy boots (unless it's snowing hard)

HangNhike
04-24-2012, 21:02
You are off to a good start with trail runners - - don't let some know-nothing clerk in an outdoor store sell you some heavy boots (unless it's snowing hard)

These trail runners were actually her selection. I did some reading about low cut vs mid cut boots and knew I wanted a low for mess weight. She recommended these as I run and cycle and prefer a lighter more agile shoe

Spokes
04-24-2012, 22:13
Hard to say. Everyones feet are different. Then when you add variables like boot/shoe type and load tolerance of your feet.. Well you get my drift. Perhaps a couple shakedown hikes will prove insightful?

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 17:07
Hard to say. Everyones feet are different. Then when you add variables like boot/shoe type and load tolerance of your feet.. Well you get my drift. Perhaps a couple shakedown hikes will prove insightful?

I guess that will be the key. We are going a small five rmiler tomorrow with an overnight hang (hammock) so hopefully the 5 in 5 out will give me an idea

frisbeefreek
04-26-2012, 18:27
A lot of people use green SuperFeet (myself included) sole inserts. They reduce the cushioning a bit, but provide a lot of arch support. They are not cheap ($30ish), but they last a long time (2000 miles is my norm). I also found the plastic provided a little extra protection when rock hopping in Pennsylvania.

JJJ
04-28-2012, 23:30
If the Salomon's don't quite cut it, Try some Montrails. My only complaint with the XA PRO was they didn't drain as well as I'd liked after streamX. Montrail Masochist are good for me especially in rocks. I'm on my third pair.

FireInMyBones
05-02-2012, 22:09
My current backacking footwear are by Vasque: Mindbenders. They are trail runners. I think I will try some Inov8 shoes next because they are lighter. The first few trips I went out on with the trail runners instead of my old full leather boots I rolled my left ankle once/ trip. After the third or fourth time out, I got used to wearing something with much less ankle support and now just use speed laces like during my triathlons without an issue. I do not plan on going back to my heavy boots. For snow I may need something different, but maybe not.

FlyPaper
05-02-2012, 22:32
I recently switched to shoes, after years of hiking in boots. I tried on the expensive hiking shoes and found none to be that comfortable. So I just went with fairly cheap trail runners from a discount shoe store. I also happen to have a custom 3/4 insert from 10+ years ago. So far, after two ~40 mile hikes, it's been a good move for me.

I get about two hikes in a year, and the shoes are about the same as I'd wear everyday, so I do. I would normally buy a pair of shoes about every 6 months anyway, so I'm kind of using one pair of shoes per hike. But really this is no extra cost versus my normal footwear, because I wear these shoes everyday to work between hikes. Sometime before the next hike, it'll be time to buy new shoes anyway. Almost anything I buy should at least last through a 40 mile hike.

If you're doing one long distance hike, this might not work for you. So far, I've been in central Virginia and Georgia. Neither place had a lot of sharp rocks. Also, I have no intention on being on the trail during snow season. The shoes were fine in the rain though. They got wet, but dried quickly compare to boots. And I can hike so much further with the reduce weight on my feet, and more freedom in ankle range of motion.

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:00
I only use trail runners!