PDA

View Full Version : Trekking Poles

ljallen
04-04-2005, 15:19
What do y'all think about shock trekking poles verse anti-shock trekking poles? Which ones should I get...Thanks

Footslogger
04-04-2005, 15:51
The ones I own have the anti-shock feature. I understand the difference between the two settings but to be totally honest I don't alternate between the modes. Guess I'm just not willing to take the extra time to make the adjustment. I leave them set so that there is a little spring when weight is applied.

'Slogger

PecosBackpacker
04-05-2005, 08:34
I have a pair of Komperdell anti-shock and I really like them. I use the anti-shock feature on the downhills so I have a little bit more support.

peter_pan
04-05-2005, 13:47
I have Komperdells with out anti shock and they are great...I like the solid feel and they are a lot quieter than the anti shock poles that you can hear comming down the trail; clickity, clickity, clickiy... Whole lot more peaceful..IMHO.

Pan

BookBurner
04-05-2005, 14:07
I've never understood the theory behind shocks? You want a stiff pole to transfer force to (going uphill and downhill). Don't shocks just make that transfer of energy more inefficient? And if shock absorption is needed for whatever reason, don't your shoulders, elbows, and wrists provide a sufficient amount au naturale? Shocks just seem like a marketing gimmick used to jack up the price of an already expensive piece of equipment.

-- BookBurner
www.enlightenedthruhiker.com

Footslogger
04-05-2005, 14:20
I've never understood the theory behind shocks?-- BookBurner======================================== ==
I'm not sure I do either ...although I must admit that leaving the springs turned "on" seems to lower the impact on my elbows/shoulders. The amount of deflection when the springs are active is really minimal and I still get a firm plant of the pole on both uphill and dowhill grades.

'Slogger

hiker5
04-05-2005, 14:36
I haven't used them myself yet, but it seems plain to me that using the springs on the downhill would lessen some of the impact. While locking out the springs would allow you more efficient use of your energy on ascents. Just like bikes with lockable shocks.

Big Guy
04-05-2005, 21:49
I owned both. My first pair was a set of Komperdells with springs. I broke one and purchase a set of the fixed Komperdells because of price. I have notice no differnce.