PDA

View Full Version : shower at NOC

MuddyWaters
04-24-2012, 22:26
NOC has showers for the bunkhouse. Do they provide towels for showering?

Firefighter503
04-25-2012, 05:55
Yes. Part of the package for a bunk. They also have washer/dryer that take quarters IIRC.

Slo-go'en
04-25-2012, 12:36
You have to ask for one at the office when you check in. They may or may not offer it to you if you don't ask.

If your a cheap SOB, you could sneak into the showers, use a damp, used towel which are left in pile, then hike on out...

max patch
04-25-2012, 12:51
If your a cheap SOB, you could sneak into the showers, use a damp, used towel which are left in pile, then hike on out...

And hope the previous user didn't have an active case of herpes, athletics foot, or a whole other host of things you don't want.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2012, 12:52
since when did NOC provide towels?

Moose2001
04-25-2012, 13:17

I believe that's called "theft of services"!

Lone Wolf
04-25-2012, 13:48
I believe that's called "theft of services"!

happens ALL the the time in the thru-walkin' "community"

Moose2001
04-25-2012, 16:08
happens ALL the the time in the thru-walkin' "community"

yeah....I know. Doesn't mean it's right or acceptable though.

grumps
04-25-2012, 16:18
yeah....I know. Doesn't mean it's right or acceptable though.
Hmm, Might that have something to do with why some places aren't overly "friendly" to hikers?, Wouldn't want someone to use your stuff without asking. Would you?

Bronk
04-26-2012, 06:36
I asked for one in 2002 and was given one, but the lady said they really weren't supposed to.

MuddyWaters
04-26-2012, 19:18
If they arent supposed to give out towels, why would they have any???? For themselves??

Think Ill call and ask what the official policy is. Most places that include a towel with a bunk rate say so.

Ladyofthewoods
04-26-2012, 19:24
I paid $2.00 for a towel to use with my shower there in early April. I think probably the earlier post meant she 'gave' him the towel instead of charging him the fee which she was probably supposed to.

kayak karl
04-26-2012, 19:42
the towels came with my bunk. ask anyone that stayed in bunkhouse at the RUCK.

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 19:56
I believe that's called "theft of services"!Apparently papa smurf is being held on $100,000.00 for just such a crime,while I feel the judge viewed him as an already established flight risk,that amount seems to dictate theres more to it.....only a Swag of coarse.

Bronk
04-27-2012, 01:06
I paid $2.00 for a towel to use with my shower there in early April. I think probably the earlier post meant she 'gave' him the towel instead of charging him the fee which she was probably supposed to.

The way she said it sounded like "we don't give towels to hikers" but I honestly didn't question it any further, I took the towel and smiled and said thank you. I also was not staying in the bunkhouse, I had just paid however much it was to get a shower. Its not hard to imagine why they might have such a policy, though, and I didn't feel offended when she told me that (probably partly because I got a towel). I could imagine what their nice white clean towels look like when hikers get finished with them.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2012, 07:29
I have used the showers down by the changing room/bathrooms (next to the RR tracks by the bridge) that you feed quarters into. I had a fresh change of clothes and a towel in my waiting vehicle. After several days on the trail, it was probably the best shower I've ever experienced. Hiking makes you appreciate the simple things in life. :)

Whack-a-mole
04-27-2012, 10:48
After my section hike in Feb, my wife picked me up in Hiawasee and we stayed at the Holiday Inn. I walked into the bathroom and there was a jacuzzi tub. I almost passed out! Talk about appreciation!