PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather

Azurescens
04-24-2012, 23:43
live in a privy for five months or thru hike the AT northbound?

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 00:22
Ok,I'll bite,how big a privy and where is it located?

Spokes
04-25-2012, 06:29

Why not do both? Then you could write an e-book and be a guest speaker at Trail Days.

TheCheek
04-25-2012, 08:18
I would rather thru hike northbound. Living in a privy doesn't appeal to me.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2012, 08:29

neither. i'd rather play golf

Pedaling Fool
04-25-2012, 08:49
Kind of a strange question :-? I can't even use privies any more, so the thought of sleeping in one is not an option. However, I'd like to locate a bunch of old privies and have them dug up (notice: "have them" :)) and to see how well the contents breakdown. It's something that has always made me wonder... I wonder if there's a chance of the stuff semi-fossilizing or if it does decompose (which would be via anaerobic process -- yucky) what the consistency of the soil would be and there must be leachate, what happens to that stuff.

Monkeywrench
04-25-2012, 09:07
I'd like to locate a bunch of old privies and have them dug up (notice: "have them" :)) and to see how well the contents breakdown. It's something that has always made me wonder... I wonder if there's a chance of the stuff semi-fossilizing or if it does decompose (which would be via anaerobic process -- yucky) what the consistency of the soil would be

Been there; done that. It ain't pretty!

Been involved in moving a privy at a site with very limited allowed spots, so we ended up trying to move it to a location used years earlier. Ugh! No go.

Buried down deep in more or less sterile mineral soil, decomposition must take an awfully long time.

Pedaling Fool
04-25-2012, 09:44
I have a well aerated compost pile and decomposition under those circumstances is very quick as long as there is air and moisture available it attracts tons of organisms, both macro and micro. However, anaerobic (without oxygen -- and it's far more stinkier process) only allows certain microorganisms to grow, so the time for decomposition is much slower. Furthermore, as moisture is removed and not replenished that means nothing lives. I'm sure there is always moisture, but how much is key, the less moisture the slower the process, so that's what makes me think of semi-fossilization happening.

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 12:08

Hike AT northbound.

This makes me question the saying, "There are no stupid questions". Is there a point to this question?

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 15:06
Hike AT northbound.

This makes me question the saying, "There are no stupid questions". Is there a point to this question?I think not.

Astro
04-25-2012, 15:14
Hike AT northbound.

This makes me question the saying, "There are no stupid questions". Is there a point to this question?

+1 on this is a stupid question

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 15:21
I have a well aerated compost pile and decomposition under those circumstances is very quick as long as there is air and moisture available it attracts tons of organisms, both macro and micro. However, anaerobic (without oxygen -- and it's far more stinkier process) only allows certain microorganisms to grow, so the time for decomposition is much slower. Furthermore, as moisture is removed and not replenished that means nothing lives. I'm sure there is always moisture, but how much is key, the less moisture the slower the process, so that's what makes me think of semi-fossilization happening.John,I'm thinking it is dependant on the soil type,that would replace the turds with minerals.But being a"Turd Herder"(plumber)for many a years,I have no desire to dig up,or under a privy,unless it's been fossilized over many a Eons,hunting for fossil Dino dung on the other could be fun and they probably have no more gas in it than an abandoned car on the NJ turnpike.

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 15:30
John,I'm thinking it is dependant on the soil type,that would replace the turds with minerals.But being a"Turd Herder"(plumber)for many a years,I have no desire to dig up,or under a privy,unless it's been fossilized over many a Eons,hunting for fossil Dino dung on the other could be fun and they probably have no more gas in it than an abandoned car on the NJ turnpike.Admendment;no more than traces of gas.

Sailing_Faith
04-25-2012, 15:36
Every day I am reminded just how fascinating people are....

.... every day.

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 15:41
Every day I am reminded just how fascinating people are....

.... every day.HaHaHe
HeHe

Smooth & Wasabi
04-25-2012, 16:04
I don't know how it is now but in 1999 Antlers campsite privy was pretty inviting.

Pedaling Fool
04-25-2012, 19:42
John,I'm thinking it is dependant on the soil type,that would replace the turds with minerals.But being a"Turd Herder"(plumber)for many a years,I have no desire to dig up,or under a privy,unless it's been fossilized over many a Eons,hunting for fossil Dino dung on the other could be fun and they probably have no more gas in it than an abandoned car on the NJ turnpike.

Yeah, soil type makes a difference, but the thing is that they (at least they use to) dig them down fairly deep, below where much of the soil organisms live, and then simply cover them up, basically creating an air-tight enclosure. And when air is locked out things get realy nasty and slimy. I've even had pockets in my compost pile develop these air-tight conditions, mainly because I packed things wrong and didn't turn it, and even in an above-ground compost pile it can get very stinky and slimmy -- really nasty .

Mr. Bumpy
04-25-2012, 22:11
southbounder troll. Nice

Pony
04-25-2012, 22:14
Two years ago there was a privy in sw virginia that was almost brand new. Smelled great and had a concrete floor. I would've slept in there in an emergency, but live in even the nicest privy for five months. I'd rather go hiking.

Thirsty DPD
04-25-2012, 23:54
Stupid Question.

Why not do both? Then you could write an e-book and be a guest speaker at Trail Days.
Great book!

lunchbx
04-26-2012, 05:18
What will archeologists make of these privy sites thousands of years from now when the AT and our society in general is long forgotten?

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 12:36
Stupid Question.

Great book!I,have always felt that an entire book could be written on S___House Poetry!

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 12:39
I,have always felt that an entire book could be written on S___House Poetry!Not sure how that comma got there,that's a little to strange

flemdawg1
04-28-2012, 19:13
What will archeologists make of these privy sites thousands of years from now when the AT and our society in general is long forgotten?

If there's no society, what would be the point of archeologists?

And waste collection sites have been around ever since people stopped long enough to start a village.

Azurescens
05-01-2012, 23:33
Ok,I'll bite,how big a privy and where is it located?

It's one of the freakishly big privies, so you can actually lie down in it. It's not a horribly busy shelter, but you will of course have to deal with hikers using the privy while you are just trying to just chill. You have to eat, sleep and do everything else in there. The only time you are allowed outside is to use the bathroom.

rocketsocks
05-02-2012, 00:14
It's one of the freakishly big privies, so you can actually lie down in it. It's not a horribly busy shelter, but you will of course have to deal with hikers using the privy while you are just trying to just chill. You have to eat, sleep and do everything else in there. The only time you are allowed outside is to use the bathroom.
If this is a invite to be on a reality TV show,where if I stay for 6 weeks and have to endure all kinds of crazy stuff,people,drunks,and of coarse folks with digestive disorders,then I say.................How much $$$

Azurescens
05-02-2012, 02:22
Monetary reward? Is money all they think about in NJ? The reward is in not having to hike the trail northbound.

rocketsocks
05-02-2012, 02:35
Monetary reward? Is money all they think about in NJ? The reward is in not having to hike the trail northbound.Ah,I feel a SOBO plug a comin.And yes money motivates most.