PDA

View Full Version : Down Vest vs Jacket

JoshL
04-25-2012, 00:43
I currently own a Marmot Zeus down vest and am looking at upgrading to the Zeus down jacket. I normally only wear the vest once I reach camp at night, and wear it with a Marmot Reactor lightweight fleece underneath. Vest and fleece together keep me pretty warm in cold weather, but wearing both makes it somewhat cramped inside my outer shell. I also don't like having to carry both for weight and space reasons. I am somewhat reluctant to totally ditch my fleece, because that is what I would hike in if it gets cold, it keeps the chill off without getting me too hot. Anyone have experience hiking in a down jacket vs a fleece; will you burn up if trying to hike in a down jacket?

ChinMusic
04-25-2012, 00:50
You are correct. Down is for camp and not hiking. Sweat from hiking makes down a worthless sack of goo.

IMO, if it gets cold enough to wear down it is cold enough to wear a down jacket. I would not get a down vest.

Lyle
04-25-2012, 03:07
Down is a very poor choice for hiking in except in absolute extreme conditions. Most folks find a couple or three layers of light wool and/or polypro underneath a wind shell more than adequate for warmth while hiking.

Down will be too warm in most situations and will thus get wet from perspiration.

Fleece would be nice in early morning or very cold days, but I haven't carried any for quite a few years. Too heavy and bulky.

If you want something more than multiple thin layers, get a synthetic puffy before you get a down to hike in

My $0.02 worth.

1azarus
04-25-2012, 20:31
You are correct. Down is for camp and not hiking. Sweat from hiking makes down a worthless sack of goo.

IMO, if it gets cold enough to wear down it is cold enough to wear a down jacket. I would not get a down vest.

I agree. Only other thing to consider is to keep your down vest and buy Jacks r Better down arms. When used with your vest they are about equal to a jacket, and if your legs aren't too "big" you can wear the arms on your legs -- either over your feet, calf or as leggings in or out of your sleeping bag. gives you another alternative. and you already own the vest! I also agree with the next post -- get a synthetic puffy to replace the fleece.