PDA

View Full Version : Buena Vista to Rockbridge/Waynesboro this weekend, 04/26-04/30

Mutha Hen
04-25-2012, 09:56
A group of us are doing the section from Buena Vista/US60 to Rockbridge/Waynesboro this weekend. Is there any local knowledge concerning this section, anything currently happening on the trail that we should be aware of, and is there any side trails or sites along that section that we should not skip or miss...??? Thanks in advance for any info....

Jeff
04-25-2012, 10:38
Yes....stay at Dutch Haus. Food, shower and great company.

Creek Dancer
04-25-2012, 11:51
Try to stay off Cold Mountain if there is a thunderstorm brewing. Can't remember what time of year they bloom, but you might see some Turks Cap Lillies wildflowers on your way to Cold Mountain. Take some time to check out Spy Rock and Crabtree Falls. The Priest Shelter is interesting. Some hikers leave "confessions" in the register. My favorite was "I confess that I wear condoms inside out for MY pleasure". LOL

When you go by Paul C. Wolfe Shelter, take a moment to relax on the bench down by the creek. My old club (ODATC) placed this bench in memory of our friend John Donovan. (There was some talk that the ATC was going to make us remove the bench, so I am not sure if it is still there.)

Above all, have a great journey!

johnnybgood
04-25-2012, 19:09
Porters Field has tent sites and a piped spring just past Seeley-Woodworth Shelter. Three Ridges has great views but camel up before leaving Harpers Creek as this section is a bit of a butt kicker going sobo and water is sparse.

Blissful
04-25-2012, 20:46
You must mean Rockfish Gap (not Rockbridge which is a county south of there). :)

Nice views on Spy Rock.
If you have the time, go down and check out Crabtree Falls. Should have great water flow with the waterfalls.

Blissful
04-25-2012, 20:47
(There was some talk that the ATC was going to make us remove the bench, so I am not sure if it is still there.)

It was there as of August.

nchiker
04-25-2012, 20:50
I was through there 3 week age the bench is still there I hope it dont get removed
great section