PDA

View Full Version : B2 Visa For An Englishman

aceofspades
04-25-2012, 10:49
It's still a while away but finances dictate my start date of March 2014. I haven't applied for a Visa yet and before I do I'm hoping to get as much information as I can on the process. I'd love to hear from some Brits who have been granted a 180 day Visa... Or even refused!

- I understand they want bank account information (proof of funds). Any idea on what they want to see as a minimum?
- I've entered the US 4 times before under the Visa Waiver Program and left when I said I would.
- I don't own property, I'm not married and I'll probably have to quit my job to hike the trail.
- I'm a 26 year old male.

I'd love to know what your circumstances were when you were granted or denied a 180 day Visa.

Montana AT05
04-25-2012, 23:13
Hope you get an answer from your countrymen, I've met many Englishmen along the trail.

I can't imagine it would be hard for you to get here, we're related after all!

RichardD
04-26-2012, 09:18
My sister got one last Autumn.
It was not a particularly hard process, just tedious. An all day wait at the Embassy for the interview.
The visa is good for six-month visits for a ten year period. It gets stamped into your passport so it might be a good idea to have a newish passport. If you have time left on your visa after your passport expired you would have to carry both new and old passports.
Interview questions concentrated on whether you have plans to work, why you are visiting, do you have adequate medical covereage. Also they want an address, If you check with them first you might be able to use one of the hostels on the trail for this. My sister did not mention much questioning on bank accounts but her OAP probably covered this adequately.

fiddlehead
04-26-2012, 10:39
My (Thai) wife also got a 10 year visa (good for 6 months at a time only though)
I have heard from others that this is what they are giving out to almost everyone anymore. (this was last year)
Of course, UK people could have different visas than Asians. (???)

Good luck. Do your best not to have an overstay as American immigration people never forget. (Thais could care less it seems)

SassyWindsor
04-26-2012, 22:11
Student Visa or have a job in the British Gov that the US Gov wants to utilize. Things are real easy then.

English Stu
04-27-2012, 10:33
The AT Conservancy have a helpful leaflet on this for foreigners and good stuff about flip-flops and start dates. I feel a search on here would help, I recall a thread helping our antipodean friends a while back. I walked a fair bit with 'Churchill' who thru hiked in 2010. He just described the 6 month long visa as a bit of a ball ache to get, mainly because you have to attend an interview in US Consulate in Grosvenor Sq, London where it is always busy so allow a full day. Money wise-you will need to show you have enough for whole thru hike -several thousand dollars (there are threads on here about costs of thru hikes) and a return ticket to the UK. Churchill flew out of Montreal. For the 100 mile wilderness I flew in and out of Bangor, Maine, from there to Philadelphia, but Boston, NYC are other options. I found previously that Virgin Atlantic had the best deal certainly if you need to amend your return date if you complete early or late. Guessing a return date six months hence is not easy and a couple of weeks kicking you heels in a motel can be expensive. Although you can just slow down, but that can mean leaving walkers you have been with for weeks.
I have amended the completion dates to nearly all my walking trips into Europe and the US as you just don't know how it is going to go.

Best of luck. As they say you will have blast.