PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Services Report

Jack Tarlin
04-04-2005, 15:31
I've now met and talked with over 100 of this year's hikers and have had ample opportunity to discuss the experiences they've had with various stores, businesses, lodging places, and other trail service providers.

Here's what I've heard, in hopes that it is useful to you guys who are about to leave:

*Have heard great things about the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega and the fine
folks who run it, with one possible caveat, which is that some folks have
apparently been encouraged to slack-pack most or all of Georgia. I think
this is a lousy way to begin a thru-hike for any number of reasons.....you're
gonna be out there for 6 months; looking for ways to cut corners or take it
easy on your first week of the trip sets a bad precedent, in addition to
reducing your interaction with other hikers in campsites, shelters, etc. In
many cases, some of your best friends on the trip will be the folks you meet
from the beginning; if you slackpack for a week and spend the better part of
that week in town, a lot of this interaction will be curtailed. Don't get me
wrong, I've nothing against the occasional slack-pack; I just think slacking
a good chunk of the Trail at the outset is a bad way to begin an extended
backpacking journey. The sooner you get usd to that big lump on your
back, the better off you'll be.

*The staff at Neels Gap, especially Winton and his wife, have been
outstanding this year, which comes as no surprise. The ammount of good
these folks do, and the number of thru-hikes they've saved (mainly by pro-
viding expert gear advice and helping folks lighten their load) cannot be
underestimated. Great place, great folks.

*Helen is Helen. Touristy, pricey, and generally only worth a trip if you're
banged up or the weather has been awful. Otherwise, it's kind of a Kraut
Gatlinburg. Tacky, touristy, expensive.

*Great reports about the staff at the Hiawassee Inn who have apparently
been pulling out the stops for hikers. One caveat: Some folks have
reported a little over-zealousness on the part of the staff in re. to waking
up hikers who want a shuttle ride back to the Trail. Easy solution: If you
don't want an early wake-up call or if you want to sleep a bit and make your own way back to the Trailhead, or if you plan to take a zero rest day,
leave a note on the door. Otherwise, nothing but positive notices about
this place. As far as dining, have heard good things about the Mexican
restaurant, tho most hikers have been pillaging Shoney's, which is a bit
of a walk, but probably provides the most bang for your buck.

*Just about everyone is raving about Ron Haven and his friendliness in
Franklin. This has involved helping out hikers and providing rides and favors
even for hikers who aren't lodging at his motel. I intend to stay there in a
few weeks, and I encourage others to do likewise; it really sounds like this
guy is going out of his way this year to be a friend to the thru-hikers.

*Good reports about the staff and services at the Nantahala Outdoor Center

*Great reports, as always, about Jeff and Nancy at the Hike Inn near Fontana
Dam. And some positive words about the camp store at Fontana Village,
which apparently is a bit better stocked this year. (I'd still send a maildrop
tho!)

*Gatlinburg is Gatlinburg. Very good reports about the Happy Hiker outfitter,
which is no surprise. Most hikers seem to be staying at the Grand Prix motel, just up the road from the Outfitter, tho several have reported that the place directly across the street from the Prix is a bit cheaper.

*Mountain Momma's is about the same. More and more folks seem to be
going to Standing Bear Farm, which I thinkis a good thing. There've been many glowing reports about the friendliness there, and Curtis has apparently upgraded his re-supply stuff . Anyway, this place is HIGHLY recommended.

*Hot Springs report:

Lodging:

Elmer's (Sunnybank Inn) is still the most popular place to stay.
Folks are also enjoying the Duckett House, which in addition to its very
nice rooms inside, has added a small bunkhouse. You can also tent.
The Alpine Motel is also getting its share of folks who want their own place.
The Creekside (behind the Paddler's Pub, is NOT taking folks at present
The Bridge Street Cafe and Inn has several nice rooms available, just
above the restaurant
Other options include the Campground (tenting or cabins) or Springbrook
Cabins.
The Cody House hostel is also open (especially nice if you want to watch TV; last night we saw opening day at Yankee Stadium; tonight's the college basketball champion-ship. For more info about the Cody, which accodates up to six folks, ask at the Outfitter's.

Food:

Patrick and his staff at the Paddler's Pub have been great, tho there've been a few near-incidents. Bring your I.D., don't try and get served if you're
underage, watch your language and boisterousness, and remember that
other hikers will be coming along after you. Also, one drunk hiker managed
to get very ill all over a very nice hostel, so try and keep things reasonably
moderate, both in the Pub and outside of it.

The Diner is still very popular, especially in the mornings. The skillet
breakfast platter is the way to go.

The grill at the campground serves pizza, burgers, fries, and subs, at very
reasonable prices.

There's a sub shop up the hill by the Public library that has been getting
great reports.

Bridge Street Inn and Cafe is getting raves; this is nothing new. Very nice
place to treat yourself to what will probably be your best meal in 270 miles!
Terrific staff, terrific place.

Other services:

Still only 2 pay phones, at Ramseys, and by the Pepsi machine down the
street from the Pub. No cellular service within town.

Laundromat still at Ramsey's; they have change and detergent.

Ramsey's and Ricker's still have limited re-supply options. Outfitter has
improved its already excellent stock and is still THE place to go for
groceries.

Staff at Post Office and Public Library have been great.

The Hot Tubs have been popular, as always.

Shuttles, slacks, etc. available from several sources, especially the Outfitter

Internet service available at library (irregular hours, check on them at Out-
fitters. Outfitter computer available for short-term use, tho it's been
getting slammed by some inconsiderate folks. News for here and elsewhere:
Your writing and keeping an Internet journal DOES NOT entitle you to extra
or unlimited Internet time!! Other folks have friends, families, etc. So keep
this in mind, and don't be a computer hog. (This was seen at Miss Janet's
also, and it's almost always the "journalists" who are the worst offenders.

Watch your dog. I've heard several reports about badly trained dogs,
inconsiderate owners, etc. When your dog starts interfering with the rights
of other folks to enjoy their trip, then the owner needs to either address
the issue or send the dog home.

A few odds and ends:

The folks at Ramsey's have had to several times ask groups of hikers to not
block cars or access to the store, so if there's a bunch of you
congregating around the pay phones, please keep this in mind.

And finally, while I'm admittedly biased as it's owned by friends of mine,
the staff of Bluff Mountain Outfitters, especially co-owners Wayne Crosby
and Dan Gallagher have been outstanding. Along with Neels Gap; Mt.
Rogers in Damascus; and the Outfitter at Harpers Ferry, this is one of the
outstanding outfitters on the entire Trail, and it gets better every year.
If you're thinking of making some major gear changes (esp. new pack, or if
you're switching from a tent to a tarp or hammock, or if you're thinking
about some lighterweight clothes, sleeping bag, etc., ask Wayne. He's
the product buyer as well as the co-owner and he knows his stock cold.
This includes shoes as well; he's also VERY knowledgable about foot-care
products, braces, insoles, etc., so if you're having any problems, track
him down, he'll be happy to help. The prices are very fair, with virtually
everything being sold at manufacturer's suggested retail prices (tho some
stuff is a bit less). They will also pay the shipping on larger purchases, so
this is a good place to pick out lighter weight stuff like clothes or sleeping
bags for further down the trail; the staff will happily send stuff to
Damascus, Pearisburg, or anywhere else. (Incidentally, if you're sending
stuff home, if there's more than three or four pounds of it, it'll probably
be cheaper and faster to use UPS and not the Post Office. The Outfitter
provide boxes, tape, etc. at no charge).

Lastly, don't send UPS packages to the Post Office and don't send
something to the Outfitters that is labeled "General Delivery." This
phrase should only be used on mail sent to U.S. Post Offices.

That's it so far; the above is mostly based on personal interaction/discussions with dozens of this year's hikers and
does not merely reflect my own views.

I hope it proves accurate and useful for you guys who
haven't started out yet.

Oh. And that's a perfect opportunity to express best wishes to you guys who are about to take off. Have a great time and hope to see you down the line somewhere!

Lone Wolf
04-04-2005, 16:03
Slackpacking Georgia is pretty damn lame. Must be good $ in it for the slack providers.
After spending a whole day at Bluff Mtn. Outfitter in Hot Springs last week, I've concluded it is THE best outfitter on the AT. They got it goin on!

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2005, 11:27
An addition to the 2005 report.....the Duckett House also welcomes well-behaved dogs in the bunkhouse or if you're tenting. This is good to know as very few places in Hot Springs are dog-friendly. They ask that you keep dogs on a leash while on the property (they have cats and chickens!), and that you clean up any messes.

Almanac
04-05-2005, 12:23
I've now met and talked with over 100 of this year's hikers and have had ample opportunity to discuss the experiences they've had with various stores, businesses, lodging places, and other trail service providers.

Here's what I've heard, in hopes that it is useful to you guys who are about to leave:

*Have heard great things about the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega and the fine
folks who run it, with one possible caveat, which is that some folks have
apparently been encouraged to slack-pack most or all of Georgia. I think
this is a lousy way to begin a thru-hike for any number of reasons.....you're
gonna be out there for 6 months; looking for ways to cut corners or take it
easy on your first week of the trip sets a bad precedent, in addition to
reducing your interaction with other hikers in campsites, shelters, etc. In
many cases, some of your best friends on the trip will be the folks you meet
from the beginning; if you slackpack for a week and spend the better part of
that week in town, a lot of this interaction will be curtailed. Don't get me
wrong, I've nothing against the occasional slack-pack; I just think slacking
a good chunk of the Trail at the outset is a bad way to begin an extended
backpacking journey. The sooner you get usd to that big lump on your
back, the better off you'll be.

I don't post much here on Whiteblaze, but being one of the owners of the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega, I just wanted to comment on the slackpacking. While we do offer this service, we by no means push it on hikers. If people ask about it, we tell them what options are available. We state on our website that these services are available and that some folks agree with slacking and others are opposed to it, and that each individual must decide for themselves how they want to "hike their hike." If making this information available is considered encouragement for slacking, then, yes, we're guilty. We've actually had very few people slacking this year, with the majority of those going from Woody to Neels. There have been only 2 folks who have done all of GA, and it was decided with no prompting from us.

And as far as slacking being profitable...have you seen gas prices lately?? We charge no more for slacking than for any other shuttle we provide, which is $1/mile...and no, that's not per person. And our shuttle to Woody Gap is free since it's only about 6 miles away.

We've had a great season so far and have met lots of wonderful people. I can only hope that we continue to be so fortunate in the future.

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2005, 14:03
Almanac:

I certainly had no intention to imply that you guys were "pushing" or hard-selling the slack on anyone; when I said people felt "encouraged" to do so, I'm merely quoting verbatim what several people said and evidently felt. As you yourself said, "If making this information available is considered encouragement for slacking, then yes, we're guilty." Several folks felt quite plainly that in making this information available, the slacking was being encouraged, and several were turned off by it. Whether intentionally or not, a few folks felt that this was being encouraged not only as a service to hikers, but as a way to ensure that hikers spent several extra nights lodging at the hostel. Whatever your intentions, this is what several folks evidently felt, and this is what I reported.

And I was not implying that this was an attempt on your part to make money from shuttles; I have lots of friends who offer shuttle service and I'm very much aware of the costs involved. Nobody gets rich shuttling hikers!

I further agree with you about the "hike your own hike " thing, which is while
I also pointed out that I have no problems with slackpacking per se, I think it's a lousy way to start a thru-hike, for the reasons I made clear. Do people have the right to do this? Of course. Should they? Well, that's up to them? Should folks offer this service this early in the trip? Well sure, if they want, but I'll be perfectly honest: I'm not saying that offering this option is a dis-service to hikers, but I think it's a really lousy idea. In my experience, folks who are looking for the soft options or the corner cutting options in the first week generally don't do too well later on.....if they have it too easy at the outset, they tend to fare poorly the first time the going gets tough, and they don't have the "easy way out" option. So yeah, folks have the "right" to do this, and folks have the right to offer this as an option. I was merely stating my opinion that it's not a particularly wise option, and that in the long run, I don't think it's good for the hikers. But you want to offer this, and if folks want to take you up on it, well that's up to you and them.

And lastly, please don't mis-interpret my remarks about the slackpacking as an attack or harsh criticism of you guys or your place, and I want to stress to to you or anyone else that this was not my intention. Please re-call the first line of my post, in which I said "Have heard great things about the Hiker Hostel and the fine folks who run it." I meant this when I wrote it, and I mean it now. If I felt negatively about you or your establishment---which has had a superb reputation since the day it opened---well, I wouldn't have started my post by stressing that I'd heard great things and considered you guys to be fine folks.

Have a great season!

Almanac
04-05-2005, 15:47
Balitmore Jack

We do appreciate the effort you've taken to collect all of this information. Thanks for letting us know what the hiking community thinks.

Almanac
:)

A-Train
04-05-2005, 15:58
I've never stayed at the Hiker Hostel (since it wasn't around in 03), but I think that says a lot about a place if people are slacking a lot and staying multiple nights. Although I agree with the idea that slacking takes away from the experience in the early going, it must be an indication of a good hostel.

Think of where most thru-hikers slack the most. Generally just south and north of Erwin, just north of Dennis Cove and north of Andover. Heck, a lot of thru-hikers end up hiking from Andover to Rangley without a pack, because of the opportunity to do so.

Why those sections? Because the hostels near there are great, run by great people and most folks didn't get their fill of good times after 1 or 2 nights so it's a better alternative to taking a zero day.

Hope to one day stop by your place.

Jack Tarlin
04-05-2005, 17:26
I just want to re-iterate that the comments made regarding slackpacking were a tiny fraction of the comments I heard regarding this establishment.

The OVERWHELMING feedback I've personally heard about this place is incredibly positive, it has been this way since the place opened its doors, and this year is no exception, so what I hope folks take away from my comments above is my original statement, which is shared by a great many hikers:

This is a great place run by very fine folks!

Peaks
04-05-2005, 18:02
This whole debate about slack packing is really about what type of hike individuals want to do. The two extremes are a fully supported "credit card" hiking, which involves hiking from trail head to trail head and sleeping in a real bed every night to spending every night in the woods, and carrying a full pack.

There is no one right way to do the AT, or any other trail.

But certainly Jack is correct. Those that continually look for the short cut are the ones that generally don't make it all the way, expecially those that start out that way.

So, not a criticism of anyone. Just a statement of facts. Gee Josh, you obviously run a great place, yet catch $$$ for doing so.

Lugnut
04-05-2005, 20:00
Everyone who didn't slack over Pond Flats please raise your hand. Not many hands I'll bet. Bob Peoples encourages people to do this and no one in their right mind would knock him! Just an observation. :sun

Lone Wolf
04-05-2005, 20:07
I never slacked it. I don't slack. Slacking is wimping. And not everyone stays at Kincora. I never have.

A-Train
04-05-2005, 20:09
I did not sleep at Kincorra nor did I slack around there. Just saying that a lot of folks do. Did drop by for a few hours. Great place, Bob is a saint

Lugnut
04-06-2005, 00:16
I never slacked it. I don't slack. Slacking is wimping. And not everyone stays at Kincora. I never have.

Well sure, I was talking about "normal" people! :D

Tha Wookie
04-06-2005, 00:26
Well sure, I was talking about "normal" people! :D
I didn't slack or stay at Kincora either. I did visit there after the trail, though, several years later.

The funny part is that I broke away from my parter and passed it up and the burgers that Aswah was cooking, determined to stay on the trail all day. Then I went to that shelter right at the lake and took a break. When I left, I was in a groove, until I saw my partner coming from the other direction. I was so surprised! He was cheating! He must have caught a ride ahead! I was so confused. That was, until I realized I had inadvertenly gone the wrong way out of the shelter, almost a mile in the wrong direction.

The tractor beam of Kincora, I found, was stronger than I realized!

MedicineMan
04-06-2005, 02:09
and this info is exactly what can be incorporated into the 2006 Whiteblaze Guide for Hikers...you will never get this info in other publications and to think Baltimore Jack offers it gratis to the hiking community.

I'm also proposing a WB Award to those who contribute to the hiking experience....obviously Baltimore Jack is one who stands out beyond many others in his giving. Thanks again Jack!

Peaks
04-06-2005, 10:51
Everyone who didn't slack over Pond Flats please raise your hand. Not many hands I'll bet. Bob Peoples encourages people to do this and no one in their right mind would knock him! Just an observation. :sun

Stayed at Kincora. Didn't slack it. Carried my full pack. My hike My choice.

Sly
04-06-2005, 10:55

Packed it in '97, Slacked it in 2000! :cool:

Hyway
04-06-2005, 11:20
Jack, I just finished a 10 day section hike from Amicalola Falls to Standing Indian Campground. Although I wasn't thruhiking, I was doing everything the thruhikers did with the exception of a pack shakedown at Neels Gap. Loved the hostel there. It was a blessed site after 3 and a 1/4 days of hiking, 2 of them in rain, hail, sleet, snow and lightning :).

I wanted to throw in my endorsement of the Hiawassee Holiday Inn Express. There hiker special of $59 for a room (they didn't charge per person like the other hostels and motels in Hiawassee) wasn't much more than what the Hiawassee Inn was charging for 2 people and the same as what they charged for 3 to a room. Put one more in the huge room and its cheaper. The staff there were extremely friendly and did everything they could to make our stay there perfect - from opening the indoor pool/hot tub early, providing any toiletry items needed to providing a shuttle back to the trail. And that Hot Tub, man that was luxurious neccessity. The rooms were huge with coffe pots, the shower hot, the room's frigerator/freezer kept my mountain dews cold and my ice cream bars frozen. The two huge beds could have slept an army of hikers. The room had a couch, coffee table and two desks. The breakfast bar still leaves me salivating - hot coffee, hot cocoa, hot cinnamin roles, bagesl, waffles, cereal, milk, juice, fruits, muffins, etc. Also, the internet access was in teh lobby but in a cubicle for privacy and the access was fast.

Thanks for your info. I really hope that I get to thruhike one day. Your info will be much appreciated. One thing I will do differently is to just go from shelter to shelter in the beginning and not push so hard to get out of Georgia.

Jack Tarlin
04-06-2005, 11:36
Hyway--

Thanks for the input. It is current reports by hikers like you that have great value and usefulness for the guys who haven't started yet. In short, it helps make folks make informed, prudent decisions on where they want to spend their time and money. While the two main guidebooks that thru and section hikers use are both quite detailed, what they frequently lack is the freshness that comes from hearing about places first-hand by folks who've visited these places recently. It is reports and anecdotes from folks like Hyway and the folks I spoke with that can provide a much better picture than what you get in the Trail guides. The way I see it, if you get one negative report about a place, or just a couple, well you take that with a grain of salt. Maybe the owner of an establishment was having a bad day. Or maybe the fault was the hiker's: Some folks are really high-maintenance and find a way to be dis-pleased no matter how well they're actually being treated. But when you hear consistently positive things about a place, like in Dahlonega, Hiawassee, Franklin, etc., then this is usually a pretty good indicator that these are good
places run by good folks, and it's great to share this information with other hikers. Places like this deserve our appreciation, patronage, and support, so thanx again, Hyway, for passing this info along.

Sleepy the Arab
04-06-2005, 14:52

I stayed at Kincora three times, and still never slacked over Pond Flats.

Slimer
04-06-2005, 17:33
I had the pleasure of staying at Kincora, but I did'nt slack it on any part of the AT. I met plenty who did and thats their choice. It's all about walking your own walk.

Yahtzee
07-14-2005, 15:35
As a hiker who generally prefers hotels to hostels if staying in town, I must agree wholeheartedly with the ups for the Holiday Inn in Hiawassee. Best hiker box I have ever seen and located near all amenities. Hot tub as well.

Yahtzee

Tabasco
07-15-2005, 10:26
I stayed with Profile and Almanac at the Hiker Hostel on Friday night April 1st of this year at the beginning of my section hike. I cannot say enough about how kind and accomodating they were. Josh took me to USFS 42 and I arrived about 8.45 am, right when the snow started.

Not once was I pressured or even directly informed about their slackpacking services. I knew that they offered it, as I saw this on their website, but as far as having them say a single word about it directly to me.....never happened.

Josh and Leigh: Thanks again, I had a great time and loved your place. Please be around in 2012 when I plan on thru hiking with my oldest son.

Turtle2
07-15-2005, 14:05
I second the service and rooms at Hiawassee Holiday Inn. Good large clean rooms, fantastic staff. Also, the Mexican Restaurant was great! Large portions, reasonable prices.

Dainon
07-15-2005, 14:39
I really liked the Hiawassee Inn -- free shuttle to/from either Unicoi or Dick's Gap; free shuttle to/from the restaurant of choice in Hiawassee for dinner; the owners were friendly and helpful; the price was very reasonable; free load of laundry with overnight stay; a gas station that sells cold beer within 25 yards, a Subway next door, and Dairy Queen across the street; and I like it even better because it's not a corporate chain.

Nightwalker
07-16-2005, 13:32
*The staff at Neels Gap, especially Winton and his wife, have been outstanding this year, which comes as no surprise. The amount of good
these folks do, and the number of thru-hikes they've saved (mainly by pro-
viding expert gear advice and helping folks lighten their load) cannot be
underestimated. Great place, great folks.
I so have to second that. I came into Neel's Gap really tired. Crazy weather for the last three days. Wynton had put some pizzas out for the hikers to eat, and I was just dozing a bit afterwards. He asked if I'd be staying for the night. I said "I really need to save some money. There's a good place to camp about a mile north." An hour later, I was still there, and obviously whooped. Wynton came back and said "I've decided to have a half-price special on the hostel tonight." It didn't occur to me until later, but the "special" was only offered to me--that I know of--and only so I could afford to stay the night. It was great.

He also handed me the keys to a vehicle later in the evening so I could take some of the other hikers to town, such as it is. All he wanted was for the guys to put in some gas. Great guy.