PDA

View Full Version : Grocery store backpacking food

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 18:03
Since dehydrated "backpacking" meals can be so expensive, my fellow hikers and I have decided to keep it on the cheap for food and go with things we can carry on the trail. Breakfast is easy with instant oatmeal, instant grits, pop tarts...

But what about lunches and dinners? We talked about the Knorr sides... What have you guy used and what should we avoid? We are going tomorrow to do a group shop for all the food...

Lugnut
04-25-2012, 18:21
Foil packs of chicken, tuna, spam. Tortillas. Cheese, crackers, and most important snicker bars! :)

Canyonero
04-25-2012, 18:23
Peanut butter/honey/cheese/sausage and crackers, GORP, dried fruit, granola bars for lunch.
Mac and cheese, pouch chicken/tuna/salmon, instant potatoes for dinner.

Check out trailcooking.com for some more ideas

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 18:31
Instant mashed potato's,poptarts,and did I mention poptarts?:D

JAK
04-25-2012, 18:38
For soup, lentils or split peas, dried vegetable mix and dried onion mix sold in spice/herb section, parsley, chives, paprika, pepper, etc.
You can add oats, oil, tuna, whatever. Good for rehydrating at night.

Moose2001
04-25-2012, 18:39
Knorr sides, Stove Top Stuffing, instant mashed potatoes, Betty Crocker Au Gratin potatoes, Burritos (chicken packages, dried taco seasoning, cheese, inside a tortilla), chicken packages, beef jerky, smoked sausage, bread. The list is only limited by your imagination!

Spokes
04-25-2012, 19:06
Never made sense to me to fire up a stove and cook lunch so I snacked. Beef stick and cheese, Clif Bars, dried fruit, nuts, Snickers, a Subway Hoagie the first day leaving town or even cold pizza, etc. Sometimes I'd make a sandwich by splitting a Ramen Noodle block and spreading Nutella on the inside. By the end of my thru I was eating 2 jars of peanut butter a week. Yum!

Lots of options that don't require cooking. Save the Knorr Sides for dinner.

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 19:09
Pretty much any "box meal" that doesn't require over a half hour of simmering can be made on the trail (esp if you're carrying instant milk and olive oil). You do usually have to reduce the water amounts significantly on most things though. Otherwise you get Alfredo flavored soup.

WingedMonkey
04-25-2012, 19:32
Sometimes I'd make a sandwich by splitting a Ramen Noodle block and spreading Nutella on the inside.

Every time you post that my gag reflex kicks in.

:bse

Spokes
04-25-2012, 19:42
Sorry WingedMonkey. But I do enjoy making them. Just shuck 'em open like an oyster. :cool:

Amazing the things you learn on the trail.

Spirit Walker
04-25-2012, 22:07
Poptarts are heavy and crumble easily. After a while they get very boring. Instant oatmeal and grits gets old very quickly, and in summer you might not want to eat hot.
Breakfast for us is cold cereal with dried milk.

Lunch is english muffins or bagles or tortillas with cheese, coldcuts or peanut butter.

Dinner is some sort of rice or pasta dish with tuna, salmon, chicken, spam, sausage or ham.

Snacks and desserts are cookies, dried fruit, chocolate, or gorp. Occasionally we make pudding.

lunchbx
04-26-2012, 05:24
+1 on uncooked ramen, yum!

Bronk
04-26-2012, 06:10
By "group shop" I hope you don't mean everybody's going to throw some money in a pot and then you're going to buy one big pile of food that everybody will share. That's a terrible idea for several different reasons. But if you mean that everybody will go to the store together and everyone buys their own food separately I guess that's ok if you are into the social aspects of shopping.

bwburgin1015
04-26-2012, 07:33
I eat a lot of Peanut Butter and Honey on the sandwich rounds...light, tasty, calorie and protein rich, and filling. I'll eat them for breakfast and lunch. Although that might get old if you're thru-hiking! The mashed potatoe packets are delightful. Just add water. But to beef it up, so to speak, dehydrate some cooked ground beef or sausage, toss it in there before you pour your water in, and voila!
-Brandon

Connie
04-26-2012, 08:09
Breakfast of Jello No-Bake Cheesecake and coffee.

There are several No Bake choices. If warmish weather, then a sealed container and a cold stream may be required.

sweeper
04-26-2012, 08:18
instant pudding, just add h2o and shake

Ktaadn
04-26-2012, 09:26
Has no one mentioned pre-cooked bacon?

LDog
04-26-2012, 09:48
By "group shop" I hope you don't mean everybody's going to throw some money in a pot and then you're going to buy one big pile of food that everybody will share. That's a terrible idea for several different reasons. But if you mean that everybody will go to the store together and everyone buys their own food separately I guess that's ok if you are into the social aspects of shopping.

I found that shopping with another hiker or two allowed us to split things that came in greater qtys than one person needed, and would otherwise end up in hiker boxes.

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2012, 09:57
Ahh Spokes came thru - that's what I do. Woo

Pre cooked cold bacon - no Summer sausage and block Cheese on wheat crackers yes.

LDog
04-26-2012, 10:05
A couple of items that are nutritionally good, and that offer lots of flexibility are cous cous (try to find whole wheat) and fine milled (instant) bulgar wheat. Both can be mixed with dried milk, sugar, nuts and dried fruit for breakfast, or with spices, dried veggies and meat, or cheese powder for dinner. Mixed nuts are high in fat content and high in calories per oz. Great for snacking on during the day. Jerky can be snacked upon while hiking, or cut-up into your cook pot for dinner. I carried small qtys of chili powder, Italian seasoning, tomato powder, dried veggies, dried onions, garlic powder, parsley, salt, pepper, cheese powder, raisins, nuts ... I could whip up a chili, an Italian tomato sauce, or a cheezy cous cous - all soaked liberally with olive oil. Olive oil is real high in calories/oz, high in fat, and it's good fat - loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Tortillas with peanut butter is an easy lunch. Instant hummus mixed with water and oliv oil is pretty great on tortillas too. Finally, I swear peanut butter mixed into granola was one of my greatest discoveries out there ...

perrymk
04-26-2012, 10:26
Finally, I swear peanut butter mixed into granola was one of my greatest discoveries out there ...
I was thinking about mixing wheat germ with peanut butter and a little honey or perhaps raisins. Same idea.

From what I have read, mixing any two of three of these fairly calorie dense groups makes a complete protein.
1)Nuts/seeds, 2)legumes/beans, and 3)grains.

Properly prepared I expect they should keep for several days on the trail.

I won't get to thru hike for quite a while (2020?) but I am planning food ideas now.

LDog
04-26-2012, 11:12
Yes, and you don't really have to mix them together to get the complete protein. Just consume them within the same day to get the benefit.

I forgot to mention quinoa which is becoming more widely available. Try and get a pre-rinsed version, and instant flakes are available. A complete protein all by itself.

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg

Rocket Jones
04-26-2012, 11:20
One of my favorite breakfasts is dehydrated quinoa with powdered milk, brown sugar, chopped almonds and dried cherries. Add hot or cold water, depending on what you feel like that morning.

oldbear
04-26-2012, 11:22
The first thing that you need to do is look at cooking times
Because more cooking time = more fuel needed = more weight that must be carried =more pack volume allocated for fuel
You can negate some of that fuel need by knowing that any dried pasta can be passively rehydrated by soaking it in 4x it's volume of water for an hour ....drain and then cook it for about 2 minutes in just enough salted boiling water to cover

perrymk
04-26-2012, 11:58
Yes, and you don't really have to mix them together to get the complete protein. Just consume them within the same day to get the benefit.
True, but the combination sounds pretty tasty to me :). Toasted wheat germ, peanut butter, honey, maybe a little cinnamon. I'm scared to try it now as I really don't need that many calories.

Another benefit is no cooking required. Might need a little extra water or coffee to wash all that down.

Odd Man Out
04-26-2012, 15:30
Lunch = PB&J on Tortilla
Dinner = Zatarains Black Beans and Rice with some curry.

PaperCrane
04-26-2012, 17:19
Every time you post that my gag reflex kicks in.

:bse
I always feel like something is missing if Spokes doesn't mention shucking a block of ramen.

rocketsocks
04-26-2012, 17:40
Lunch = PB&J on Tortilla
Dinner = Zatarains Black Beans and Rice with some curry.Having Zatarains for dinner and some nitrates too(doggies)......love leftovers night.

waasj
04-26-2012, 20:54
I dehydrate a bunch of fruit, veggies and meat, bring oriental noodles (Raman without all the artificial flavor) nori, grains, ( quinoa, millet, grits, rice, cous cous, etc), and cheese. This usually makes a one pot soup or stew of some form for supper. Oh, and instant potatoes to thicken with. Lunch is usually spread out through the day with hard salami, tortillas, cheese, group, etc.. Breakfast is coffee and instant grits or oatmeal. And beer.

I am trying to cut down on the prepared stuff (Knorrs, Zatarains etc) as they are full of preservatives and usually a butt load of salt. Most of the dehydrated meals taste the same after a while, IMO.

waasj
04-26-2012, 20:58
Oops, should be Gorp, not group.

Papa D
04-26-2012, 20:58
Cheese tortellini from "barrila" is the bomb - get some sauce packets and carry a little olive oil!

Pathfinder1
04-26-2012, 21:48
Hi...

Tabouli is good, and can even be made with cold water. I also carry some MRE crackers, which I've never had crumble. Also, when I don't care about a few extra ounces, I'll carry a few tins of herring or sardines...in mustard or tomato sauce.

Fig newtons are good (I love 'em), but they're a bit on the heavy side...but of course you could eat them first...!!

Farr Away
04-27-2012, 12:50
True, but the combination sounds pretty tasty to me :). Toasted wheat germ, peanut butter, honey, maybe a little cinnamon. I'm scared to try it now as I really don't need that many calories.

Another benefit is no cooking required. Might need a little extra water or coffee to wash all that down.

How about this?

No Bake Bits
1 1/2 c. dry oatmeal
1/2 c. wheat germ
1/2 c. flaked coconut
1/2 c. raisins
1/2 c. peanut butter
1/3 c. honey
1 teaspoon vanilla

Stir it all together; chill; then roll into bite-size pieces. If it's too dry, add some more peanut butter and/or honey.

I don't know how long this would keep - it doesn't usually last very long.

perrymk
04-27-2012, 18:32
It sounds great. It's very much like the Prison Power Bars found in The Convict Cookbook (http://www.amazon.com/Convict-Cookbook-Convicts-Washington-Penitentiary/dp/0976082500/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335565878&sr=8-1).

ChinMusic
04-27-2012, 18:42
For breakfast and snacking, I have become a fan of Steel Cut Oats. I just fill a 20-oz Gatorade bottle with em and eat em dry.

HangNhike
05-06-2012, 15:30
Well we are all friends so buying larger quantity things and diving worked out well for us. We have pop tarts and oatmeal for breakfast. Tortillas, canned chicken, tuna, pb &J for lunches, then dinner we have a few knorr sides, one gumbo meal from packet gourmet, summer sausage, more canned chicken and tuna. Plus we got granola, hammer bars and gorp for snacking.

As a stove we have a Jetboil Flash Java setup, as I prefer to start my day with coffee... Plus I'm gonna take a few lipton tea bags to make sun tea while on the trail

Don H
05-06-2012, 16:03
Not food but I always try to pick up a box of the instant single Arizona Green Tea drink mix.

bigcranky
05-06-2012, 16:14
As a stove we have a Jetboil Flash Java setup, as I prefer to start my day with coffee...

Me too, but I really don't want to bring a stove on my section later this month. So I'm going to experiment with the Starbux Via instant Iced coffee packets. We'll see how that works out.

HangNhike
05-06-2012, 17:13
Me too, but I really don't want to bring a stove on my section later this month. So I'm going to experiment with the Starbux Via instant Iced coffee packets. We'll see how that works out.

Tasty but pricey. Its like 7 dollars for 6 packets. I can get a pound of coffee for that lol

bigcranky
05-06-2012, 17:15
Tasty but pricey. Its like 7 dollars for 6 packets. I can get a pound of coffee for that lol

Yeah, but it'll probably be worth it. Still cheaper than going to Starbux and ordering a drink...

actionpocket
05-09-2012, 00:12
One of my new favorites are packets of instant miso soup. It's a delicious and easy way to warm up while cooking a main meal, or to add to anything else you are cooking. Super light weight, and tasty. I also like to bring some dried mushrooms, and add them to quinoa with curry powder. Easy and nutritious meal.

The yellow "safron" (I dont think they are actually safron) plus tuna meal is a classic.

randyg45
05-09-2012, 09:37
Bear Creek soups

Moose2001
05-09-2012, 10:26
Alessi Soups. My favorite is Tuscan White Bean Soup. They come in 6 oz packages, much smaller than the equally good Bear Creek soups. Just the right size for a thru.

keepinitsimple
06-13-2012, 06:14
I love the smell of esbit in the morning too. I keep some in my nightstand as well, you never know.... Super great quote. Super great way to keep things ultra light too

3_dogs
06-13-2012, 19:29
For a sweet snack, Tootsie Rolls will not melt in the heat.

cabbagehead
06-14-2012, 22:12
bars containing a lot of oats
fish packets
protein bars
pills
cabbage (in or close to town so you don't have to carry it far)
The correct ratio of peanuts, wasabi peas, walnuts

Wise Old Owl
06-14-2012, 22:57
Here is the Huge problem with this thread. we are all talking about things that need to be reconstituted and reheated. And the original post laid the groundwork for not using dried foods in a dryer. Strange as Drying at home is tremendously CHEAPER than FD! But Hey so what. Something has to give... lets all try to get together a list of food that's over-the-counter and edible with huge calories and somewhat nutritious!

Creek Dancer
06-15-2012, 13:09
Are you the thread police? sheesh. This isn't a straight forward thread.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 16:30
Are you the thread police? sheesh. This isn't a straight forward thread.

Holy Cow! Let's lighten up! I think you really took Owl's comment the wrong way. He was making what I thought was a great suggestion - not speaking specifically about the thread, but suggesting over the counter edible and nutritious items.

Creek Dancer
06-15-2012, 20:48
LOL! Maybe you should lighten up! This is the food thread, for crissakes.

WIAPilot
06-15-2012, 21:26

Good God woman! You ​are the only one coming off like the "thread police."

Old Hiker
06-15-2012, 22:01
Since dehydrated "backpacking" meals can be so expensive, my fellow hikers and I have decided to keep it on the cheap for food and go with things we can carry on the trail. Breakfast is easy with instant oatmeal, instant grits, pop tarts...

But what about lunches and dinners? We talked about the Knorr sides... What have you guy used and what should we avoid? We are going tomorrow to do a group shop for all the food...

Old El Paso microwave bags - fairly heavy, but I would eat one for lunch or dinner without warming it up. Put it into a tortilla or just straight from the bag. Almost as expensive as dehydrated meals, though.

Knorr - noodle sides tasted too blah or floury or something. Rice sides, esp. Spanish rice were good.

Mini-bagels and 8 oz tub of whipped cream cheese - 3 meals. Great for quick suppers when it was getting dark, tent was up and I was almost out.

Tortillas and cream cheese.

Pop-tarts for any meal - yes, they crumbled after a while, but just open the top and pour them down your throat.

$Store brand (Cloverdale) was good - I liked the cinnamon pop-tarts better than the name brand ones.

Small can of chicken into a Knorr rice side.

Oatmeal to Go breakfast bars - added one to the pop-tarts after a few weeks for the calories.

Hot choc/coffee/instant milk in a mayo jar - 3-4 tsps into my 20 oz mug and I was good to go for a few hours! I usually just got the water warm enough to have the mixture dissolve - saved fuel that way.

Cold days - esp. evenings, I would heat water and add a lemonade or raspberry packet to it. I carried 14 oz of brown sugar for a while (didn't want to give up most of it to a hiker box) to add for extra calories. I didn't want caffeine at night.

Wise Old Owl
06-15-2012, 22:03
Woooo... hey it was a suggestion. Creek Dancer, Wia Pilot read my thoughts... and you some how took a weird turn on the same post. I was looking forward to put the thread back on track to help folk. Lets try to be "innovative" as I would like to update a "no-cook" style of lunch. It really is the internet. Please do not take it personal - no I am not a "thread police" lets leave that for the ungrateful job of the mods - who I admire to an extent.

Creek Dancer
06-16-2012, 07:18
Well, I can't read anyone's thoughts, especially over the internet. And my comment was meant in jest, but evidently you and WIApilot can't read my thoughts either.

Creek Dancer
06-16-2012, 07:46
Anyway, one suggestion for a no-cook, nutritious meal is instant breakfast mixed with 2 tbls of Nido and instant coffee, plus some kind of breakfast "cookie". Lots of calories, hydration and caffeine to get you started down the trail. I was nervous about not having hot coffee in the morning, but I really didn't miss it. Just put all the ingredients in a water bottle and shake!

cabbagehead
06-16-2012, 08:54

I eat crissakes all the time. If you don't want to cook, another good option is oatmeal.

Creek Dancer
06-16-2012, 08:59
LOL! Or....you could just carry a cabbagehead! No cooking necessary.

Lyle
06-16-2012, 09:28

I've done group shopping and group meals. It can work just fine. It is especially good for groups new to hiking. At least then, everyone learns together and when something goes wrong, you don't have to watch the others enjoying their perfect meal. Everyone suffers equally. :-)

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 11:21
Ok this is what I was talking about :banana add to this......

Quick Energy-packed
Brick Chocolate
Fudge Bar or Nuttella
Mint Cake
Gorp bars -
Snickers
In late summer use Hershey Kisses – less chance of melt
Hard ball Candy
Cliff energy bars.
Frito's (can start a fire)

Quick Foods
walnuts, cashews Seeds/nuts
Peanut butter
Block Cheese & String Cheese ind wrapped
Boxes of raisins.
Nido – not nonfat mik
Idahoan instant mashed potatoes
Fig newtons,
Wheat Thins & Cabot Cheese blocks (knife)
Beans/legumes
Jerky/sausage
Dried fish
Summer Sausage or Landsjager
Pepperoni / Salami – Long shelf life
Pemmican
Retort Tuna/chicken / Mayo Packs on Rye.
Retort Spam
Instant Breakfast Drink or Protein Drink
Olive oil
Hard Boild Eggs with Salt packets
Apples/Oranges (small)
Focaccia Bread with Vegetables

HIGH CARBOHYDRATE
Pudding mix (fix ahead with Nido and needs a bowl and cold mountain Stream)
Cereals
Home style Baked cookies/breads
Crackers/chips
Granola bars/PopTarts
Flour/baking mix
Dried vegetables
Plain bagel And other hard breads
PopTart
Cliff energy bar.
Tortilla's
Cracklin' Oat Bran
Natr. Valley G’ola
Pringles / Saltines
Granola bar (Many Flavors)
Pretzels
Fig bars
Graham crackers
Dried at the store
*Dried apples
*Prunes
*Dried apricots
*Dried figs
*Fruit leather
+Pemmican
Yogurt covered Rasins

Flavored Water
Gatorade powder
Propel Singles
Crystal Light
Korean Ginsing & Turbinado sugar
Instant Tea / Sugar packets
Instant Coffee & Creamer done cold
herbal and fruit teas Drink mix: cider, gatorade

rocketsocks
06-16-2012, 16:10
Carrots,I like carrots,If kept cool and out of the sun,a bag would last a few days,and many places along the trail might sell these in a convenient store.

Good list Woo,that would be hard to improve apon,as most of what I'd bring,is on your list.

Wise Old Owl
06-16-2012, 23:38
Shhhh just found another-Roasted Soy Nuts.

WIAPilot
06-16-2012, 23:43
Gosh Owl, really like your list. Gave me some ideas!

Bear Cables
06-17-2012, 20:10

how long will it keep on the trail? Every time I see it in the store I think about taking it on a hike.

Bear Cables
06-17-2012, 20:14
Cheese tortellini from "barrila" is the bomb - get some sauce packets and carry a little olive oil!

how long does it take to cook the tortellini? I would love this with a little olive oil and parmesean cheese topping it.

daddytwosticks
06-18-2012, 07:30
how long does it take to cook the tortellini? I would love this with a little olive oil and parmesean cheese topping it.
I throw some in a pot of cold water. Bring to boil on my Snow Peak Giga stove. Remove and cozy for about five minutes. Drain, garnish, and enjoy! :)

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2012, 07:36
Precooked bacon is shelf stable, You can make it at home the dryer the better.

You good folks are still talking cooking and boiling thou. This is more about scarfing direct from a grocery store.

Pumba
06-18-2012, 07:55
I may have misread the the OP, but I thought he was just referring to prepackaged backpacking food, such as Mountain House and others. He doesn't seem to explicitly say he's against cooking any food.

Creek Dancer
06-18-2012, 08:32
That's true. In fact, the OP talks about Knorr sides, grits, etc., for which you need to boil water and cook.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2012, 08:35
Ok I am wrong - I give up

OzJacko
06-18-2012, 08:48
69 posts and not one mention of Vegemite.
Good thing I'll be bringing my own with me on my 2013 NOBO.
G'day!

Pumba
06-18-2012, 10:04

Don't give up! :) You've made a lot of great suggestions that I'll be using.

canoe
06-18-2012, 10:06
how long will it keep on the trail? Every time I see it in the store I think about taking it on a hike.
the pre cooked bacon i got yesterday says 3 days unrefridged

canoe
06-18-2012, 10:09
package says 7 minutes. we opted for angel hair pasta by barrila(cooks in 1 minute) with red sauce.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2012, 10:19
69 posts and not one mention of Vegemite.
Good thing I'll be bringing my own with me on my 2013 NOBO.
G'day!

Vegemite - (I have tried it) almost UN-findable on the east coast unless in a specialty store. It's not considered heathy in spite of the b vitamins. It may be confiscated at customs - that has happened before. Americans flat out don't care for it.... Here is a recent example

President Barack Obama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama), in response to a question in March 2011 during a joint visit with Australian Prime Minister Julia Gillard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Gillard) to a high school in Virginia, gave his impression of Vegemite by stating "It’s horrible" and, following a description by Ms. Gillard, summarised it with "So it's like a quasi-vegetable by-product paste that you smear on your toast for breakfast - sounds good, doesn't it?"

TechNaBill
06-18-2012, 14:41
Precooked bacon is shelf stable, You can make it at home the dryer the better.

You good folks are still talking cooking and boiling thou. This is more about scarfing direct from a grocery store.

Yes I know it's still cooking but, how about powdered whole eggs, love them for breakfast, and if you mix a little in your regular meal, it adds texture that feels like meat. Anyway.

Wise Old Owl
06-18-2012, 17:32
Yea I tried that, Hey if you like that sort of thing -cool,

rocketsocks
06-18-2012, 18:11
I like to eat Cambells Bean & Bacon soup...right out of the can!Good protein and salts to keep ya going.

redfox1939
07-30-2012, 10:30
Freeze dried dinners are an interesting subject. Some can be quite tasty. But most dinners are bulky, very expensive, high in sodium and many have low caloric density. It is probably best to minimize their use to a few dinners on a trip. Try to make some simple dinners of your own based on ingredients like instant rice, instant mashed potatoes or whole wheat cous cous.

West Fork Trail (http://thehikehouse.com/trails/west-fork-trail)

3_dogs
08-06-2012, 13:10
A bag of mini pepperoni rolls makes a nice lunch for the first couple of days.

Maddog
08-06-2012, 14:30

I dehydrate most of my own backpacking food...some meals...some individual ingredients. It works for me! Maddog:D

Maddog
08-06-2012, 14:31
BTW...great list WOO! Thanks! Maddog:D

Drybones
08-06-2012, 14:40
I got hooked on 490 calorie fried cherry pies as a mid morning snack.

Hairbear
08-06-2012, 20:31
others have already covered most of it 1 new one i didnt see that i really love is pesto mix its cheap, light, and very tasty.you just heat olive oil and add pesto mix its great on rice or noodles.

Papa D
08-06-2012, 20:41
A couple of meals for you:

Mediteranian:

Parmesean Cous Cous
add tuna
add curry powder
add hot sauce

Thai:

Ramen - ditch spice packs
cook and leave water
add peanut butter - stir well
add soy sauce
add hot sauce
sm can cocunut milk (super gourmet)

Euro / American

Cereal with powdered milk
dried fruit

?

Peanut butter
nutella

?

Cheese / triscuits

I could go on and on - unless someone
gives me one of those backpacking
store (mountain house) meals, i buy
all my backpacking food at grocery or
whole foods (type) stores

Hairbear
08-06-2012, 20:46
hell dont give up with a busted up leg those cats will get you for sure.

Different Socks
08-06-2012, 23:59
Bear Creek soups

Doesn't these brand of soups require a long cooking time? In one of the usual sized bags, how many servings for you?

Creek Dancer
08-07-2012, 14:53
They don't take terribly long to cook. Some as little as 10 minutes, and some longer. I usually just bring the soup to a boil, let it sit in my cozy for 10 minutes to soak, and then heat it up again if it doesn't look like it's cooked all the way. That way I don't use too much fuel. I really like the creamy soups, like the pototoe one. Add a can of chicken!

SawnieRobertson
08-08-2012, 12:27

I forgot to mention quinoa which is becoming more widely available. Try and get a pre-rinsed version, and instant flakes are available. A complete protein all by itself.

LDawg
http://bit.ly/LDawg

LDawg, your blog is great. Thanks for some hearty laughs as well as tips on grocery-bought hearty meals.

onesocktwin
08-08-2012, 12:40

I even eat this at home occasionally. Great on tortilla or english muffin.
Also, +1 on precooked bacon. I take hard boiled eggs for the first couple of days in cooler weather.

driver
08-08-2012, 22:04
Man that Starbux Via instant Iced coffee packets sounds good...

Grinder
08-11-2012, 09:16
re.Bear Creek soups

Not the cheese broccoli. That stuff is heaven and near instant.​ Add ramen without spice pack for variety. makes a good evening meal too.

I always carry tortillas. Bread: the staff of life.

Any soup with beans takes a long time to cook.

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 14:27
I got hooked on 490 calorie fried cherry pies as a mid morning snack.

So did I until one day I bit into one and only found one cherry ...empty shell...so cheated....:confused:

Wise Old Owl
08-11-2012, 14:41
One of the valuable tools I use is the smart phone camera to remind me of products and prices.... quick snap and I dump in a file for packing

Brumo
08-24-2012, 07:21
I could a poptart and not eat anything else anymore for mos of the day, tuna is nice too though, I guess I would take a variety of things, all of them not really healthy, but I also take some fruit along.

Brumo
08-24-2012, 07:22
+eat, also; why is there no edit button ? :o

russb
08-24-2012, 07:27
One of the valuable tools I use is the smart phone camera to remind me of products and prices.... quick snap and I dump in a file for packing

I love those Alessi soups! we don't have the varieties available here.

Donde
08-25-2012, 02:47
The falafel packs next to the couscous are good.

Also the answer to your pop-tart crumbling is to pour it in a PB tortilla, the crumbs will stick to the PB, that's a fine burrito.

Avocados pack out well, and have one of the better caloric to weight ratios of anything in the produce section.

Lastly if you leave town with less than 1lb of cheese your wrong.

RangerPhil
09-08-2012, 19:12
Best formula I use: 1 serving cheap carbs (usually noodles of some sort), 1 serving protein (tuna in tin foil, sometimes jerky), 1 serving fat (olive oil or peanut butter), 1 pinch spices - usually salt, pepper, cayenne, occasionally hot sauce. Cook it up, mix it all together with a little extra water and form a sauce to go with it. It's mildly "Thai" tasting...I can live off of this for days on end when on trail!

Ranger

bushcraft
09-13-2012, 09:01
I usually carry tuna in foil (at least two or three packs), a can of Bega cheese (http://www.emergencyoutdoors.com/bega-m-15.html) (long shelf life), pilot crackers or flat bread. Lasts for a good three day weekend backpacking trip and takes up little to no room and weight. The tuna is under 1lb, cheese is 0.55 pound and offers 600 calories and the bread, well it is flat and lightweight!

jakedatc
09-13-2012, 11:35
Sandwich Thins more durable and taste better than tortillas or pita
Justin's Peanut butter packets (for shorter hikes)
individual Nutella packets (^^^)
brentwood Sandwich biscuits. (kinda like less sweet oreos) easy to find at Job Lot 1200cal for 8.5oz package ~140cal/oz

Drybones
09-13-2012, 11:47
For breakfast...Great Grain or granola cereal with powdered milk in a baggie...add water and eat.
Mid morning....490 calorie fried cherry pie.
Lunch & dinner....items already mentioned in other posts.

Canadian_Hiker
09-26-2012, 22:16
Granola and peanut butter mixed together is AMAZING!!! I toss in a handful of dry roasted peanuts and man oh man that is good stuff! Just make sure you have a good water source handy...lol...you'll need about 2 liters to wash it all down...lol.

shelb
09-27-2012, 23:42
Hmm... I would think that granola, peanut butter, and a little cocoa mixed together would be the bomb! Possibly close to a no-bake cookie!

mamamiapdx
10-11-2012, 22:25
I dont skimp on the dinner no matter what, thats the most hearty and fulfilling meal on my hikes.:)

SunnyWalker
11-22-2012, 11:22
Oh, OK, I got one no one has written about yet. Background: my wife's family are all scandinavian and supposedly this idea comes from there. One of my wife's sister's husband had a heart attack and part of his new food regimen was eating lots of oatmeal. I found this out when we went to visit them on the farm in Eastern WA. The oatmeal is prepared very differently then the usual. They take some oatmeal (any Oatmeal will do and I never use instant). You take the amt of Oatmeal flakes you think you wish to consume the next morning and place them in a bowl or something. On the trail I bring an old cottage cheese type thingy with a snapon lid. You pour out the Oatmeal flakes in the container and cover it with milk and kind of stir it around or slosh it around a little(on the trail instant milk of course). In the morning you eat it cold. When they first served it to me I was real skeptical but it is delicious and it has a faint and pleasant oatey taste which I never sensed in hot oatmeal. If you add pieces of fruit to it in the morning it is even better.

SawnieRobertson
11-22-2012, 12:43
Having read Adrianne Hall's diatribe about oatmeal anywhere last night, I have to laugh. I eat oatmeal every day. I'd love to eat it on the trail and will follow your "recipe." The only question concerns the milk. Would you give more details about the kind/brand? Thanks.--Kinnickinic

Hikes in Rain
11-22-2012, 14:03
I've read about it, but never tried it. For milk, at home use your preference. On the trail, I'd use Nido; it's about the best powdered milk out there.

THE DANGLER
11-22-2012, 18:39
re.Bear Creek soups

Not the cheese broccoli. That stuff is heaven and near instant.​ Add ramen without spice pack for variety. makes a good evening meal too.

I always carry tortillas. Bread: the staff of life.

Any soup with beans takes a long time to cook.

+1 on the bear creek soups, I divide them up into single servings. The broccoli cheese is my favorite. Grinder is correct in that it's almost instant(don't require extended simmering) If you've got any way to bring in some fresh broccoli that makes it even better. Also, it's complimented greatly by a dark seasonal brew (again, great to bring in to drink on the first night or have a cool mountain stream nearby to chill before drinking)... Obviously bringing beers isn't ultra light but just a good compliment to this soup/meal. Also, if you're bringing first time campers, good food goes a looong way towards making them repeat campers and hikers. Just my 2 cents...

SawnieRobertson
11-22-2012, 20:40
An old favorite of mine for around the campfire (if someone else builds it) is hot cocoa with a little rum added. It surely makes for a relaxing end of a long day. I put the rum in small plastic bottles. I haven't seen any lately, but I used to enjoy freeze dried ice cream while walking. Nalgene bottles stuffed with Doritos, peanut butter and Bacos on tortillas . . . . Ummmm.--Kinnickinic

Wise Old Owl
11-22-2012, 21:52
Oh, OK, I got one no one has written about yet. Background: my wife's family are all scandinavian and supposedly this idea comes from there. One of my wife's sister's husband had a heart attack and part of his new food regimen was eating lots of oatmeal. I found this out when we went to visit them on the farm in Eastern WA. The oatmeal is prepared very differently then the usual. They take some oatmeal (any Oatmeal will do and I never use instant). You take the amt of Oatmeal flakes you think you wish to consume the next morning and place them in a bowl or something. On the trail I bring an old cottage cheese type thingy with a snapon lid. You pour out the Oatmeal flakes in the container and cover it with milk and kind of stir it around or slosh it around a little(on the trail instant milk of course). In the morning you eat it cold. When they first served it to me I was real skeptical but it is delicious and it has a faint and pleasant oatey taste which I never sensed in hot oatmeal. If you add pieces of fruit to it in the morning it is even better.

Details Details... Take minute Oatmeal run in a blender 5 minutes, Then pour 1/3 cup into glad bag 2 tbls Spoon Nido when reconstituting it 1/2 cup hot water. Personally I like a packet of real maple syrup and brown sugar.

SunnyWalker
11-22-2012, 23:17
I have noticed a real difference between quality Oatmeal and "discount" brands. For example, Quaker definitely is better then the store discount brand. On milk, I have used regular cows milk, soy milk and etc. On trail any powdered milk will work. One note, if you do not like the aftertaste of powdered milk do this: after you mix it put two(2) drops of vanilla extract in the bowl, cup, etc. Well usually I would use two(2) drops for a Qt size so I guess for a bowl I would use one(1) drop. Myself, I notice that distinct aftertaste even when I use fruit or sugar, etc. So the Vanilla extract is a nice touch.

Brass Tack
11-22-2012, 23:50
favorite for lunch is crackers with a variety of "toppings". Love the Dr Krackers brand...they hold up well and are very nutritious. Favorite toppings are any nut butter, Nutella, salami, bacon, packets of processed cheese(deliciously salty), smoked aged gouda(it keeps a long time wrapped in vinegar soaked cheesecloth and parchment paper). The options are endless.

cliffordbarnabus
11-22-2012, 23:58
mix it up. resupply at gas stations, whatever. pb&j and pretzels and something sweet is the money combo for me. breakfast, dinner, lunch.....it's all the same to me.

lonehiker
11-23-2012, 17:16
A favorite lunch of mine is peanut butter and honey on a couple of tortillas. When I drop into town for re-supply I get the smallest peanut butter jar I can get (plastic of course) and a small jar of honey. I then scoop some of the peanut butter out of the jar and squeeze in honey. I then stir it all up until I get the ratio that I like.

My meat of choice for dinner is the packets of spam when I can get them. I have gone entirely away from packets of tuna as you get appx. 2.5 times the calories in spam compared to tuna.

Another lunch/dinner that I sometimes splurge on, it is rather expensive, is shelf-stable bacon on a tortilla. Once opened I use the bacon until gone 2-3 meals. I put a packet or two of miracle whip on it as well. This is a very tasty meal.

Deadeye
11-24-2012, 11:33

No need to soak overnight... raw oats with mixed dried fruit & nuts is Meusli. I eat it 4+ times a week and it's my usual trail breakfast with dried milk. You can find it in boxes, or in the bulk cereals section of most larger grocery stores. Or you can mix your own, just use instant or quick oats (they're just rolled thinner), and mix in some raisins, chopped dates, and walnuts.

Portie
03-04-2013, 12:04
Frozen hot dogs and bacon will keep for 2-3 days easily if insulated inside clothing in your pack.

2014hopeful
03-21-2013, 00:44
Gotta plan it right and watch them close, but AVOCADOS!!! Nom nom nom and calorie dense. SUPER food.

Feral Bill
03-21-2013, 01:14
Frozen hot dogs and bacon will keep for 2-3 days easily if insulated inside clothing in your pack. As for hot dogs, be VERY sure they have not had a chance to get warm as you travel. The consequences can be awful. Trust me on this.

LDog
03-21-2013, 22:30
Gotta plan it right and watch them close, but AVOCADOS!!! Nom nom nom and calorie dense. SUPER food.

I like em sliced and grilled ...

Venchka
03-30-2013, 18:09

If not, they are all asleep. Add pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage.

Real world question: I have never tried summer sausage on the trail. What brands do you all like? How long will an open summer sausage keep on the trail? Or is that one of those dumb questions because the summer sausage is gone before it has a chance to spoil? Suppose you are on a 7-10 re-supply
schedule? How long will summer sausage keep then?

Wayne

Coosa
03-30-2013, 19:10
Did anyone mention Hummus mix? Easy to add water and a bit of olive oil and put on any type of cracker or bread.

Coosa
03-30-2013, 19:15
For Protein ... I use a Whey Protein drink ... good breakfast starter and good for that before bed protein snack. Just add cold water, mix and drink.

Mountain Mike
03-30-2013, 19:49
If not, they are all asleep. Add pre-cooked Jimmy Dean sausage.

Real world question: I have never tried summer sausage on the trail. What brands do you all like? How long will an open summer sausage keep on the trail? Or is that one of those dumb questions because the summer sausage is gone before it has a chance to spoil? Suppose you are on a 7-10 re-supply
schedule? How long will summer sausage keep then?

Wayne

Just buy smaller ones that will be gone in a day or two & take multiple ones. Much preferable than risking a big one going bad & suffering from it.

susiecruise
04-20-2013, 15:48
I recently discovered Minute brown rice. It is cooked, dried brown rice. It requires very little cooking time if you soak it prior to cooking. If you don't soak it first it takes 7 min cooking time. It combines very well with Spice Islands dried black bean soup ( dried soup in a cup that I take out of the cup and dump in a baggie). This is also already cooked and dried. Cook the two together and you have a very hearty soup/stew. Spice islands also makes a yummy curried lentil soup( combine with the rice or Nor'east's cous cous), dried, cooked, just add water and heat.

OldJeremiah
04-20-2013, 22:42
my eating might be kind of wierd, but I usually allow myself one dehydrated per week.
Other than that -- here are things I take & like
instant mashed potato packets (I eat the whole 2 or 4 servings myself)
ramen noodles, yeah, i know
peanut butter in a tube on rice cake
fast cooking rice -- a little weighty but a nice change, adding
seasoning, tomato paste, cheese or whatever
packets of tuna - yes, some weight, but the wetness is so delicious sitting on top of a mountain
you just climbed

because of the fuel it takes to cook, I look for things that cook fast or things
that just need the hot water dumped on them.
reading the grocery store boxes, you figure out what is instant and what has to simmer 7 minutes
or 15 minutes (and I stay away from those)
instant soup

there isn't a great deal of nutrition in some of this stuff -- I try to balance things out
if you can find pepperoni that doesn't require refrigeration -- a couple of slices with anything are a treat

sometimes my lunches are light -- a bag of honey-peanuts matched with dried apples (the least salty of the dried fruits)

OldJeremiah

Another Kevin
04-21-2013, 00:36
because of the fuel it takes to cook, I look for things that cook fast or things
that just need the hot water dumped on them.
reading the grocery store boxes, you figure out what is instant and what has to simmer 7 minutes
or 15 minutes (and I stay away from those)

If it needs to simmer for 7 minutes, it'll be done in 10 in a freezer bag cozy. At this point I consider the Reflectix bag cozy an essential part of my kitchen.

Coosa
04-21-2013, 07:59
Peanut Butter and Kashi Go Lean Cereal ... don't even need bread. And lots of water to wash it down with, I like to add the pedialyte in the serving size pouches or Energen C to my water.

Coosa

HangNhike
04-21-2013, 11:48
Did anyone mention Hummus mix? Easy to add water and a bit of olive oil and put on any type of cracker or bread.

I have never seen this, but i want to try it!

susiecruise
04-21-2013, 13:05

While it is not UL, I always include at least on lunch of sardines on Rye crisps

blainem
08-22-2013, 15:11
Those that carry olive oil, are you just buying a bottle and carrying it with? I'm cautious of doing this, in fear of spilling or leaking all over everything.

What about olive oil packets?

Just trying to get enough healthy calories and fat during the day without tons of candy and typical hiker food. No offense, but I don't eat most of this stuff during my normal days. Trying to keep eating healthy.

I assume I'll have to maildrop for most.

LDog
08-22-2013, 15:50
Those that carry olive oil, are you just buying a bottle and carrying it with?

I got an 8oz nalgene specifically for the AT. It doesn't leak, and I use it in most every dinner for the fat and nutrition. Might try and find one slightly smaller as it is a fairly heavy item. Got it off Amazon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Drybones
08-22-2013, 17:12
Peanut Butter and Kashi Go Lean Cereal ... don't even need bread. And lots of water to wash it down with, I like to add the pedialyte in the serving size pouches or Energen C to my water.

Coosa

Any high protein cereal, such as the Kashi or granola, in a ziplock with powder milk and whatever else you may want to add...honey, dried fruit, nuts, etc.

Turk6177
08-22-2013, 17:20
Instant Mac and cheese with SPAM! Tortilla covered in peanut butter, trail mix and honey...yum! Spam and mayo on a tortilla! yum!

da fungo
08-22-2013, 18:20
Mac and cheese with Spam? Hell, I eat that at home. Great stuff.

Rolls Kanardly
08-22-2013, 18:40
Sometimes I'd make a sandwich by splitting a Ramen Noodle block and spreading Nutella on the inside.
"Hold my nose so I cannot taste" or "Scrape my tongue" Rolls

Symba
08-23-2013, 00:46
Lipton's, I eat a lot of those sodium ridden Lipton dinners, both the pasta ones and the rice ones. I add in a packet of tuna. That's dinner. Lunch would be two KIND bars; breakfast is simple, a bar also. I may end up cooking in the am and snack the rest of the time. I'm a light eater. Sometimes peanut butter on tortilla of course (those jiff snack ones work well).

blainem
08-24-2013, 15:18
Lipton's, I eat a lot of those sodium ridden Lipton dinners, both the pasta ones and the rice ones. I add in a packet of tuna. That's dinner. Lunch would be two KIND bars; breakfast is simple, a bar also. I may end up cooking in the am and snack the rest of the time. I'm a light eater. Sometimes peanut butter on tortilla of course (those jiff snack ones work well).

and you get enough calories that way? are you talking about thru or section hiking?

Symba
08-24-2013, 20:51
I did that with drops on my thru hike in 2000 and have with my drops for my two month section hike I leave for in less than two days SOBO from Maine. Enough calories? heck no! It is impossible to have enough calories. I'd have to carry more food in weight for that and then I'd have to burn more calories to carry that weight and then carry more food to burn those calories needed to....you get the point. I fill up in town stops, usually eat a pizza myself with veggies on it; supplement with whatever too. With my medications I also take a daily vitamin made for 50+ Men. I'm 41 but it cannot hurt.

daddytwosticks
08-25-2013, 16:21
I did that with drops on my thru hike in 2000 and have with my drops for my two month section hike I leave for in less than two days SOBO from Maine. Enough calories? heck no! It is impossible to have enough calories. I'd have to carry more food in weight for that and then I'd have to burn more calories to carry that weight and then carry more food to burn those calories needed to....you get the point. I fill up in town stops, usually eat a pizza myself with veggies on it; supplement with whatever too. With my medications I also take a daily vitamin made for 50+ Men. I'm 41 but it cannot hurt. Careful! Taking a 50+ vitamin and not being of age will age you more quickly. This is a fact...happened to me! :)

bdetamore
08-25-2013, 17:09

+1 my favorite. I use tomato (pizza) sauce from bosco's

http://www.boscospizza.com/pages/bosco_sauce.html

Another Kevin
08-25-2013, 22:34
+1 my favorite. I use tomato (pizza) sauce from bosco's

http://www.boscospizza.com/pages/bosco_sauce.html

I'll have to remember that one. I see that minimus.biz carries it. It'd be nice for the convenience. But since it's full-water it's bound to be kind of heavy, and I don't like the fact that three of the top four ingredients are HFCS, salt, and hydrolyzed food starch.

I sometimes whip up my own sauce with tomato powder, dehydrated garlic/onion/bell pepper/celery, herbs, black pepper and olive oil. (All the items that you can't get in a regular grocery store are from Harmony House.) One of these years I have to get a dehydrator so that I can try drying my homemade sauce; the sauce made from tomato powder just isn't quite the same.

Or I have the pasta al' aglio e olio. Cook the pasta in a freezer bag (anything that cooks in 7 minutes or less will be done in 10 in a freezer bag) with some reconstituted dried veggies, while heating the oil and garlic and a few red pepper flakes and a little sun-dried tomato and maybe some Italian dry sausage (or pouch chicken, or pouch salmon) in the cookpot. Return the pasta to the cookpot when it's done and toss it with the sauce.

Or make a white sauce (powdered milk, cornstarch, white pepper, bay leaf), add dehydrated broccoli, and some sort of hard cheese, and toss the pasta in that.

In all three cases, all the dehydrated ingredients for the sauce go in a little bag tucked in the freezer bag that will be used for the pasta.

I keep my olive oil in a little squeeze bottle that I got at Target, and wrap it in a sandwich-size Ziploc in the food bag. Although I haven't had the inner bottle leak on me yet.

Once you've done the prep of packing the ingredients at home, none of these is any more work than Lipton's, and they're a lot tastier (to me, at least, your taste may vary).