PDA

View Full Version : Fashion statements

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 18:06
What do most of you wear on the trail. Do you opt for all the expensive technical clothing or just good old t shirts and shorts?

1azarus
04-25-2012, 18:07
gotta wear dirty girl gaiters. everything else is optional. well, you do need a velco tab for the gaiters.

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 18:19
^ I have never heard of such a thing....

But after a quick google search the appear popular

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 18:27
I prefer to hike in conversion shorts instead of cut off jeans and synthetic t-shirt instead of cotton,this was not always the way.

Moose2001
04-25-2012, 18:41
expensive technical clothing = weekenders!

hikerboy57
04-25-2012, 18:42
"technical' clothing doesnt have to be expensive, and its generally a good idea to avoid cottona very poor insulator when wet..

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 18:49
expensive technical clothing = weekenders!Now I'm no genious moose,but I think your math is a little off.:)

HangNhike
04-25-2012, 18:50
"technical' clothing doesnt have to be expensive, and its generally a good idea to avoid cottona very poor insulator when wet..

Well things liek Prana, North Face etc are on the pricier side... What are you referring to like Starter, Mossimo?

Hooch
04-25-2012, 18:58
expensive technical clothing = weekenders!Not that there's anything wrong with being a weekend or section hiker. But your frail attempt at elitism is duly noted.

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 18:59
Inexpensive technical clothing, Starter, C9, thrift store, etc. Most of my hiking shirts are free tech shirts from 5k races. The only expensive parts of my hiking wardrobe: $110 Brooks trailrunners, $13 Bridgedale socks, $50 Marmot windshirt. Everything else was clearance, used or free.

flemdawg1
04-25-2012, 19:00
Alot of of us section/weekenders can dirtbag w/ the best of ya.

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 19:05
What do most of you wear on the trail. Do you opt for all the expensive technical clothing or just good old t shirts and shorts?Stick around kid,this could get interesting!

hikerboy57
04-25-2012, 19:31
Well things liek Prana, North Face etc are on the pricier side... What are you referring to like Starter, Mossimo?

rei and ems both have great private label gear, and campmor, sierra trading post is a source you can great discounts on. dont think that an expensive label makes it the right gear. if you search the clothing forum, you'll get a pretty good idea of what to wear. fasion concious?nobody can tell what youre wearing after a few weeks anyway. its not a fashion statement, its weighing weight and function.prana and NF are not good sources for backpacking gear.

Spokes
04-25-2012, 19:34
Cotton kills!

Don't forget-Hike Naked Day is June 20, 2012

trapper
04-25-2012, 19:37
Spokes id like to see you hike naked. as long as that's you in your profile picture

Spokes
04-25-2012, 19:39
Yikes! I'm much too modest to partake in such festivities.

Pedaling Fool
04-25-2012, 19:48
Cheap crap. I've tried the synthetic shirts, but now always use cotton, they're just more comfortable. Special sweat-wicking t-shirts that are suppose to cool you off is complete marketing BS -- at least that's been my experience.

johnnybgood
04-25-2012, 19:50
Inexpensive technical clothing, Starter, C9, thrift store, etc. Most of my hiking shirts are free tech shirts from 5k races. The only expensive parts of my hiking wardrobe: $110 Brooks trailrunners, $13 Bridgedale socks, $50 Marmot windshirt. Everything else was clearance, used or free.
Same here flemdawg. $ All used packs (4), nothing over $ 59.83 . I'm addicted to thrift stores and REI garage sales because it's like looking for hidden treasures.

Alot of of us section/weekenders can dirtbag w/ the best of ya. Hey...I resemble that remark.:)

Red Hat
04-25-2012, 19:57
I have tried the poly shirts, but now I only use smartwool. Smartwool breathes, wicks, and doesn't smell. I try to find them on sale off season. I use a Mountain Hardware kilt most of theme, with long johns when it is cold. I have several pair of hiking shorts (columbia and Mtn hardware) and a pair of Mtn Hardware winter pants that I use from time to time. I certainly don't consider myself a "fashionista"!

trapper
04-25-2012, 20:07
Spokes.. if you ever do the naked hiking thing let me know i want to spectate. lol

WIAPilot
04-25-2012, 20:10
I'm bringing a little black dress for those "Big City Days" while the rest of my clothes are in the laundry. (Hey, beats wearing my sleeping bag!) Should look really sexy when I pair it with hiking sandals! :-?

Biggie Master
04-25-2012, 20:11
whatever I want to...

oldbear
04-25-2012, 20:25
"Don't forget-Hike Naked Day is June 20, 2012"
In honor of the late great Colin Fletcher who was the spiritual grandfather of my generation of hikers i once spent 2 days hiking naked in GCNP ...or as naked as guy who is out for 10 days w/ no resupply and questionable water sources can be .....which isn't very

kayak karl
04-25-2012, 20:28
Cheap crap. I've tried the synthetic shirts, but now always use cotton, they're just more comfortable. Special sweat-wicking t-shirts that are suppose to cool you off is complete marketing BS -- at least that's been my experience.
cotton, COTTON...your going to die out there! i say die you will! mark my words:D

i wear all goodwill stuff. most is missing labels. cotton/poly blend Hawaiian shirts :)

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 20:29
My next(what I consider expensive purchase) will be some ice breaker garments,but for now consider them to be to expensive for my weekend hiking and wallet.

Blue Jay
04-25-2012, 21:04
There are many Good Wills along the trail. You just buy Hawaiian ****s, Rayon or Poly, and then throw away the last one. This serves two functions, one you smell much better and two you don't look like the carbon copies you are hiking with.

Blue Jay
04-25-2012, 21:07
I was sure I spelled shirts correctly.

waasj
04-25-2012, 21:19
Inexpensive (not necessarily cheap) synthetic tee ( Nike, Champion, REI brand or lost and found from our school track program) and nylon shorts with a fly so I can relieve meself without having to drop pack (trust me, this becomes more important as years go by!!!). I will drop extra $$$ for socks and three day undies. One set of outers to wear and one set to rinse out and dry. Double up on socks and undies. Warm layer to throw on in camp.

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 21:57
cotton, COTTON...your going to die out there! i say die you will! mark my words:D

i wear all goodwill stuff. most is missing labels. cotton/poly blend Hawaiian shirts :)I'd wear a Hawaiian shirt on Fridays.

Sarcasm the elf
04-25-2012, 22:01
Alot of of us section/weekenders can dirtbag w/ the best of ya.

Well said.

Cotton kills!

Don't forget-Hike Naked Day is June 20, 2012

Spokes id like to see you hike naked. as long as that's you in your profile picture

Trapper, your response is going to be a lot funnier when Spokes changes his profile picture back to the photo of the haggard guy who appears to be putting an awl through his nose. :eek:

+1 I bought a lot of brand name stuff back before I knew better and thought it's what you had to do.

Most of what I wear on the trail now is either stuff on clearance from EMS, or stuff found at Target or Costco. If I had known better the first time, I would have bought a lot of my cloths second hand, doesn't make much sense to wear nice new cloths into the woods. Also, brand name doesn't necessarily mean better, but it also doesn't have to mean more expensive, my North Face puffy jacket was $50 from a thrift store.

Pony
04-25-2012, 22:06
I have a nylon soccer shirt that I got from the goodwill for 50 cents, though I'm due for a new one. I also wear a long sleve cotton/poly blend tshirt and a pair of convertable pants. A mid weight fleece that I got on clearance from gander mountain, and in camp i wear fleece pj's that I got as a christmas gift. The only clothing items that I actually spent money on is socks. It's hard to be fashionable when you're sweaty, dirty and haven't showered for five days.

Pony
04-25-2012, 22:08
Trapper, you're in Dresden? I'm just down the road from you in nerk. Well, thornville right now, but still in the same neck of the woods.

rocketsocks
04-25-2012, 22:52
Now I'm no genius moose,but I think your math is a little off.:)Dear Mr.Moose,after crunching the figures,it seems I was wrong,Mr.Lone Wolf called me a genius once.sorry my mistake.:D:)