PDA

View Full Version : Wearing glasses vs. contacts

WhiplashEm
04-26-2012, 08:38
I'm looking for advice/opinions on wearing glasses or contacts on a thru-hike. I normally wear contacts with no problems, but I'm wondering if wearing glasses for my hike next year wouldn't make more sense? I wear the kind of contacts that you leave in for a month so it's not like I'd have to change them every day, but one of my biggest concerns is how I would get my hands clean if I needed to change them on the trail. Also, the added weight of contact solution seems a little silly. On the other hand, glasses can break, which would suck. I would really appreciate some feedback back on this.

Samson
04-26-2012, 08:45
I've been wondering the same thing, but didn't ask because I am tired of all the elitist better than you answers.

pervy_sage
04-26-2012, 09:03
Broken glasses is an easy fix by having a spare pair. Conjunctivitis, prolonged eye irritation, or having one of those suckers slide up behind your eyeball isn't something that can easily be fixed.

For those of us who cannot wear contacts, it is an obvious choice. This is one of those things you gotta make up your own mind. If you do go with glasses, then it means you carry the spare set, a lanyard or head strap to keep them on, a repair kit with screws, nose pads and a tiny screwdriver, and either some alcohol or lens cleaning solution. Optionally you could have a pair of clip-on sunglasses as well.

Even if you do go with the contacts, you should have a pair of backup glasses in your pack, or at very least in your bounce box.

For what it's worth, hopefully not sounding too elitist.

Capt Nat
04-26-2012, 09:10
I consider myself elite. I'm in that phase of life that I can't see with them and can't see without them so I'm constantly snatching them off and putting them back on. I wear glasses only but my wife, The Admiral, wears contacts and has never had any problem with them. Some people wear contacts more naturally than others. I think it would depend on you.

Lyle
04-26-2012, 09:30
I carry one pair of glasses (granted, I'm not blind without them, could function ok - you wouldn't want me driving, however). I carry no repair kit or special cleaning fluids, good old water, maybe a drop of soap if needed, and a clean bandanna has always sufficed. I've never dropped/broken/or had to do any kind of repair. The only concession I make for wearing glasses is that I always carry a ball cap so that I have a good visor to keep the rain/snow off the lenses.

If you choose to wear your contacts, to clean your hands, use the same thing you use at home - soap and water. :-) You'll be in the woods, a natural environment, not some foreign alternate universe where simple solutions no longer work. No offense intended, just some ribbing.

Jefe
04-26-2012, 09:36
This is just what I do. Not telling you one way or another. I wear my contacts (and they have to come out daily), so I also have a pair of glasses kept in a hard case. If I don't feel like putting in my contacts, or feel my hands are too dirty and not easily cleanable, I put on my glasses. There are pros and cons with each. I go with the flow and keep my options open. HYOH

Jefe

double d
04-26-2012, 09:43
I have not thru-hiked, but I do hike a lot and I do have bad eyes, thus I have the same issues of contact lens/eye glasses. I bring both, i use a hard case for my glasses (yes, i don't like the bulk and weight, but I have to protect the glasses) and I wear my contacts each day, as glasses can get to be a issue with weather, etc. Also, my compass also has a built in signal mirror in it, so I just use that each morning to get my contacts in my eye. I also bring a small piece of cotton cloth to wipe down my glasses, as other materials don't work so well. Good luck, its an issue that all of us that must wear glasses/contacts often have to figure out whats best for us, especially for thru-hikers, but I don't find the issue to be too much of a problem, I just don't like the few extra issues of bulk and weight.

NBHiker
04-26-2012, 09:45
Definitely a personal preference thing, but on a thru-hike there will be many days when you'll just want to throw on a pair of glasses and not have to bother with solutions, etc. Not to mention the days when you just want to crash when you get to camp and not have to bother with solutions, clean hands, etc. If you want to keep it simple, just wear glasses and a light case to store them in. Get into a routine and always put them in a safe place when you take them off. And don't ever put them on a shelter floor! If you're concerned about breakage, you could always carry a pair of contacts as a back-up.

nitegaunt
04-26-2012, 09:47
Here's my advice. When I was 18 I was hiking on the AT in Va and while crossing a stream one of my lenses popped out and hit the water. Needless to say, it was a goner. I had to do the rest of the hike with one lens. From then on I either carried a backup pair of glasses or wore contacts and kept a pair of glasses in a hard case. There's no shame in redundancy when it comes to your vision. I think one of the benefits of contacts is the fact that during rains you don't have to keep cleaning them off and miss the scenery because you are looking through a bunch of water. I also know what you mean about elitist answers to questions here. The internet brings out the best in people.

Ender
04-26-2012, 09:48
I wore contact for my AT thru, and tried both contacts and glasses for my PCT attempt. Worked great on the AT, and on the PCT I sent my glasses home after two weeks and just stuck with contacts. Just keep a clean hand towel to wipe your hands, and some Purell to kill any nasties on your fingers, and it works great.

pervy_sage
04-26-2012, 10:46
I've been wondering the same thing, but didn't ask because I am tired of all the elitist better than you answers.

I now see what you mean...

Rocket Jones
04-26-2012, 11:27
I just wear glasses. While hiking, they're on a lanyard so I can hang them around my neck when I don't need them, and I use an anti-fogging cream called Cat Crap (seriously) to keep the lenses clear. The only downside I've found to glasses is that I need a brimmed hat to keep the rain off of them.

Moose2001
04-26-2012, 11:49
Do what you think is best for you and don't worry about what anyone else says.

leaftye
04-26-2012, 12:37
On the other hand, glasses can break, which would suck. I would really appreciate some feedback back on this.

Have you ever broken glasses? In my 16 years of wearing eyeglasses, I only broke one pair of eyeglasses. Those were my first pair, and I broke them after months of putting them in my back pocket and sitting on them.

My challenge is not losing them. This is because my vision is good enough to hike without them, so sometimes I forget to put them on in the morning. This makes where I put them down at night very important, otherwise I might not pick them up in the morning. I've found that putting them in my shoes is the best way to go.

louisb
04-26-2012, 12:58
My big concern would be cleanliness and infection. These days when I hike I wear glasses with the auto darkening lenses and if I am solo I carry an old pair as backup. Of course I can't see past the end of my nose without corrective lenses so if I were to lose or break mine I would be in serious trouble. (And to add insult to injury it is getting to where I can't see up close either. Getting older sucks.)

--louis

WhiplashEm
04-26-2012, 14:21
[QUOTE=leaftye;1281642]Have you ever broken glasses? In my 16 years of wearing eyeglasses, I only broke one pair of eyeglasses. Those were my first pair, and I broke them after months of putting them in my back pocket and sitting on them.

Once, I was in fifth grade, I sat on them on the school bus (don't ask me why they were on the seat and not on my face). It was a scarring experience.

Thank you everybody for the input. I actually feel better about my contacts now, I'll probably wear those and bring back-up glasses. I'll be taking some long hikes b/f my thru-hike so I guess I can work things out then. The thing I love wearing contacts as opposed to glasses is I have peripheral vision w/ contacts - it seems like I have to turn my head more to look at things when I wear glasses. (now that I read it seems like a really weird complaint, but it's pretty significant to me)

WhiplashEm
04-26-2012, 14:22
I use an anti-fogging cream called Cat Crap (seriously) to keep the lenses clear.

Where can one get ahold of some good cat crap these days?

English Stu
04-26-2012, 14:46
The outfitters/fishing shop in Boiling Springs had some a while back. Had to get some just for the box though it is good stuff.

jbwood5
04-26-2012, 15:31
I've worn contacts before on long section hikes and it can be a nuisance, but is manageable. Of course the biggest problem is dealing with grit and gnats. I remember rubbing my contacts out of one of my eyes a few times and then dealing with grit on my hands. I usually kept a small bottle of sterile solution nearby in a pouch to rinse my hands and the contact off. It was not a good time trying to get it back in my eye with no mirror. Sometimes I would just take them out and put on a pair of glasses, but if you get a rainy drippy cool day, glasses can fog; especially in the morning. After a few frustrating times with contacts, I usually just wore the glasses. When I hit a town or a place with running water and a mirror, I'd put the contacts back in. Be sure to bring a few spares. I lost a couple while hiking over the years.
BTW, I ultimately got lasik (mono vision) and don't deal with either anymore.

Different Socks
04-26-2012, 22:14

So here's a non-elitist answer: On the AT, I was still wearing glasses every day. On the PCT I was wwearing contacts, then take them out at night and put back in the next morning. Used a small mirror then, but now will use a larger signal mirror. Hey, everything has at least 2 uses right??!! Use it for saving me, use it for seeing too.

rocketsocks
04-27-2012, 01:51
I'm looking for advice/opinions on wearing glasses or contacts on a thru-hike. I normally wear contacts with no problems, but I'm wondering if wearing glasses for my hike next year wouldn't make more sense? I wear the kind of contacts that you leave in for a month so it's not like I'd have to change them every day, but one of my biggest concerns is how I would get my hands clean if I needed to change them on the trail. Also, the added weight of contact solution seems a little silly. On the other hand, glasses can break, which would suck. I would really appreciate some feedback back on this.I don't think caring a small mount of contact solution is silly,for you It's just a part of maintaining your hike.Mine would be some meds and inhaler.I too carry small polycarbonate mirrors,for tick removal,shaving,and in case I have to get my picture took,LOL for me wear reading glasses is a must If I want any shot at reading a map or compass,or seeing what little small things,wonderments a body can find on the trail ie;rocks,minerals,flora and fauna.

bflorac
04-27-2012, 01:54
I do the opposite of most here. I wear my glasses while hiking bring a few pair of 1 day disposable contacts as a backup. The grim of the trail can build up on the glasses so when cleaning carefully rinse with clean water before even attempting to clean them with a cloth else you will end up with very scratched glasses.

oldbear
04-27-2012, 02:42
I'm going the radical route and getting glass lenses put into cable temple frames.

Farr Away
04-27-2012, 13:48
Once, I was in fifth grade, I sat on them on the school bus (don't ask me why they were on the seat and not on my face). It was a scarring experience.

Thank you everybody for the input. I actually feel better about my contacts now, I'll probably wear those and bring back-up glasses. I'll be taking some long hikes b/f my thru-hike so I guess I can work things out then. The thing I love wearing contacts as opposed to glasses is I have peripheral vision w/ contacts - it seems like I have to turn my head more to look at things when I wear glasses. (now that I read it seems like a really weird complaint, but it's pretty significant to me)

My uncorrected vision is very bad, so glasses went on my face before I got out of bed and didn't come off until I got back in bed. That's probably why I've broken several pairs of glasses over the 35 or so years I've needed corrective lenses - wore them out. Mostly a bow broke off, but I did have one pair that fell off my face and the plastic frame broke.

I wear extended wear (30 days) contacts now and love them. Peripheral vision _is_ wonderful! Being able to see at night is also great, and so is being able to wear sunglasses. I never liked the clip-ons.

I do take a backup pair of glasses; no backup contacts, but I do take a case with solution if it's a longer trip. Never used any of this.

-FA

tuswm
04-27-2012, 16:43
laser eye surgery is cheap now.

Papa D
04-27-2012, 17:46
I wear my glasses - I have a tiny tool that I can use to tighten them - - on balance, I think it's easier than fooling around with the right contact lens solution, and other things associated with contacts - but this is just one opinion - - in the rain, I do have to wear a visor and my pack cloth gets some use.

oldbear
04-27-2012, 19:33
So radical of you. I can't imagine what you do when you're feeling exorbitant. :p

Have you priced out glass bifocals w/cable temple frames recently ?
Not only are they hard to find But once found they are really expensive when compared to polycarbonate lenses and regular frames
In fact on my thru -hike next year one pair of glass bifocals w/cable temple frames will be the single most expensive item that I'm carrying .

Hikes in Rain
04-27-2012, 20:49
This question keeps popping up from time to time, and I'm never quite sure why. If you're comfortable wearing contacts, as I am, why would you change just because you're hiking? All it takes is being able to wash your hands before handling them. I like using a little wash basin I made by cutting a gallon milk jug about a third of the way up. I do carry a spare pair of lenses, and my glasses. For the latter, Dollar General sells a nice padded hard plastic case that only weighs a fraction of an ounce and seems crush proof. Plus, the one I have came in a bright turquoise that even I can see without correction. I have other tips I've accumulated, as well, if anyone is interested.

SunnyWalker
05-08-2012, 21:15
Whiplasem: I personally always wear my contacts, tho I do have to take them out each evening. I think you'd be just fine and if you need to change them out or something, you'll wash your hands. You won't forget. I carry my glasses also though. I like using contacts because it is easier to look thru binoculars when you do not have glasses on. Plus I have taken bad falls and never lost a contact. I know that I would have lost my glasses.

Moose2001
05-08-2012, 21:28
In fact on my thru -hike next year one pair of glass bifocals w/cable temple frames will be the single most expensive item that I'm carrying . Hey Oldbear. I always use a Croakie on my glasses. That holds them in place, no slipping down my nose and if the weather gets really bad, I can hang them around my neck with no problems.

actionpocket
05-08-2012, 22:45
I've been camping for 6 months of the year with contacts and the only time I have gotten pink eye is from a motel room floor. I would definitely have both. If your hands are too dirty and you can't clean them, wear your glasses. It's not hard to put them in and take them out without a mirror once you get used to it.

Things to watch out for: don't get hand sani in yer eyes it flippin hurts, keep your case in a plastic baggie. Look at your hands and make sure they are clean. Stay smart about it and you will have no problems. But bring glasses for backup. They aren't heavy, and being able to see is really important.

ChinMusic
05-09-2012, 00:37
Had Lasek 7 years ago. Some of the best money I have ever spent. A true quality of life event.

Montana Mac
05-09-2012, 16:37
When I hiked in 09 I needed glasses to read with but not for hiking so I always kept them on the front of my pack so they would be handy. On the side trail to Calf Mountain Shelter I stopped to fill my water. When I got to the shelter I realized I lost my glasses. A search by me and another hiker did not turn them up. It was my only pair so I was screwed. :eek:

I would use the macro setting on my camera and take a picture of the page of the guide book I needed then zoom in on it to be able to read it. Not the best solution. A few days later a section hike had an extra pair and gave them to me – talk about trail magic!

I have since gotten to the point that I need glasses all of the time. I went with the 30 day lenses and have not had a problem with them either while hiking or working as a horse back guide in the back country for a week at a time. The only time that they gave me problems was when the 30 days expired and I wasn’t near where I lived and was traveling. Foolishly I wore them for 90 days or so and developed so “dead spots” in my eyes. My eye doctor explained to me these were just like dead skin on the body and that in a week or so it would be okay. I left the lenses out for a week and have not experienced any further problems.

When I do another long distance hike I will plan on having new contacts in my drop box and also will carry a cheap pair of magnifiers in my pack. Not being able to see is a PIA!

Deadeye
05-09-2012, 19:31
As a particularly elite (that's E-light) hiker and glasses wearer, here's what I do. I wear my glasses. I don't bring a spare pair, because in 50 years of wearing them, I've lost exactly one pair, that only because I leaned over the side of the canoe and they fell into 100 feet of water. Since I don't carry a canoe (what e-lite hiker would?) this won't possibly happen again. I have one eye good for close-up, one eye good enough to see where I'm going, so should I manage to lose or break my glasses, or give them to someone in greater need, I can get by until someone can mail my spares to me. YMMV - WOYG - IDGAD - HYOH

One Half
05-09-2012, 19:59
I'm looking for advice/opinions on wearing glasses or contacts on a thru-hike. I normally wear contacts with no problems, but I'm wondering if wearing glasses for my hike next year wouldn't make more sense? I wear the kind of contacts that you leave in for a month so it's not like I'd have to change them every day, but one of my biggest concerns is how I would get my hands clean if I needed to change them on the trail. Also, the added weight of contact solution seems a little silly. On the other hand, glasses can break, which would suck. I would really appreciate some feedback back on this.

Get Laser eye surgery. I did it 14 years ago so I could enjoy my outdoor adventures more. Totally worth it!

WhiplashEm
05-09-2012, 20:10
Thanks for all the helpful input. I've pretty much decided I'll wear my contacts and bring some back-up glasses. I think I'm in the process of looking at my normal daily habits and trying to see how they'll fit in on my thru-hike. Also, not too long ago at the very end of a day-hike a teeny little black fly managed to wedge itself in my eye socket and I had a heck of a time getting it out. I used some hand sanitizer that I had in my car (yep, it was not made to be used on eyeballs) and it took me about 10 minutes to get the bug out without messing up my contact and then I drove 30 miles home with one eye squinted the whole way. That whole incident got me to wondering about whether I should just wear glasses for my thru-hike, and as I'm typing this I just realized that's what the backup glasses are for so yeah..... anyway...