PDA

View Full Version : Is fishing possible?

Pappa Green Jeans
04-04-2005, 22:04
Has anyone ever fished while thru hiking? If so where? And what permits/liscences are needed where you fished? I would love to hear your feedback or stories. Thank you.

Pappa Green Jeans:D

Baker
04-05-2005, 00:35
I remember a couple of hikers trout fishing around parternship shelter in va. They had non resident permits, a trout stamp (i think), and minimal amount of tackle.

Pappa Green Jeans
04-05-2005, 01:08
:jump
I remember a couple of hikers trout fishing around parternship shelter in va. They had non resident permits, a trout stamp (i think), and minimal amount of tackle.
Thata good to know, thanks for responding.

Peaks
04-05-2005, 08:59
Are there opportunities for Fishing along the AT? You bet. However, the AT is predominately a ridge top trail. Streams are in the valleys. So, if you are willing to go off trail, there are some great fishing streams. Great Smokies National Park publishes a map of fishing streams. Like wise, Camp Hoover is one place in Shendandoah National Park where US Presidents used to go to fish.

Do you need a license? Yes.

It's all about what and how you want to do your thru-hike.

Morning Glory
04-05-2005, 12:00
The fishing for small mouth bass in the Nolichucky in Erwin is excellent, however, I would suggest going up stream a mile or two from where the trail crosses. They can easily be fished for using an ultralight spinning reel and a rooster tail or other small spinner. Damascus also has some great fishing. When hiking past the Elk River on the new re-route north of Roan Mtn, I was really wishing I had my pole....absolutely beautiful looking trout water.

walkin' wally
04-05-2005, 19:13
Papa Green Jeans,

If you are hiking in the 100 mile wilderness I can give you the names of several spots right near the trail that are good trout fishing places. Some other places on the AT in Maine too.

Walkin Wally

Panzer1
04-05-2005, 19:30
I guess you could put the fishing gear in a bounce box. When you get to town, Just get the box from the post office, ask locals where is a good place to fish. You could rent a car for the day, buy a temporary out-of-state fishing license, and have a good time of it. It's going to cost you money, but you could fish in places you would normally never fish. You could do some research, plan it out. If you got the extra money and extra time, go for it.

Several times I brought a small telescopic fishing rod with me when hiking in PA on the Black Forest trail. I always camped near small mountain streams. Fished right next to my tent. The fish were always small because the streams are small. I never kept the fish. I used a styrofoam container of worms as bait. One night, I hung my food bag but not the worms. Some animal raided my worms, ate every one of them. Had to use my lures after that. It does take time away from your hike.

I always had a valid fishing license.

Panzer

hikerjohnd
04-05-2005, 19:44
I am not a fisherman - I have actually never cast a line in my life (and I would like to remedy that...) but I was under the impression that you do not need a licence for subsistence fishing (eating what you catch at the time you catch it). Am I wrong in that? I just always assumed it was a kind of loophole for hikers who chose to catch dinner... Thanks for the info!

Panzer1
04-05-2005, 20:10
I am not a fisherman - I have actually never cast a line in my life (and I would like to remedy that...) but I was under the impression that you do not need a licence for subsistence fishing (eating what you catch at the time you catch it). Am I wrong in that? I just always assumed it was a kind of loophole for hikers who chose to catch dinner... Thanks for the info! So far as I know the only exception in PA is if you are under 16 years old, you do not need a license.

I think if you didn't need a license for "subsistence fishing", then we would all claim to be doing "subsistence fishing".

Panzer

PS The license pays for restocking the fish.

Two Winds '97
04-09-2005, 04:55
Has anyone ever fished while thru hiking? If so where? And what permits/liscences are needed where you fished? I would love to hear your feedback or stories. Thank you.

Pappa Green Jeans:D
Yea it's possable to fish on the AT, but that depends on what kind of hike you want to do. If you want to thru hike in one season, I'd say don't worry with the rod. You will have plenty of 'things' to do while you hike 2,100 miles.

Krewzer
04-09-2005, 09:57
I met a hiker in the 110 mile wilderness called "Creel" back in 2000. He said he was fishing every pond he came to on his way though Maine. He wasn't covering many miles, but he sure was having fun.

Lots of the ponds up there have canoes and paddles. I suppose the locals or guides leave them there so they can walk in and fish when they like. I say have, but I'm just guessing it's the same as it was back then.

I only hiked around Creel two or three days at the most, as several of us were hoping to "yogi" a trout dinner off him (...didn't work). The last time I saw him, he was sitting in one of those canoes, trying catch another big trout like the one he'd caught the evening before. I don't know if he ever got to Katahdin. And, I think it was more of a fishing adventure for him anyway.

Panzer1
04-09-2005, 15:43
I met a hiker in the 110 mile wilderness called "Creel" back in 2000. He said he was fishing every pond he came to on his way though Maine. He wasn't covering many miles, but he sure was having fun.

I guess that's the thing about hiking and fishing. It's kind of like a oxymoron. Fishing is a stationary activity, while hiking is a mobile activity. Doing one, prevents you from doing the other.

If you are going to fish on a thru, you will have to have allocate some extra days to complete your thru. But, If you are a hard-core fisherman it may be worth your trouble.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-11-2005, 21:51
I just remembered a real good spot to fish right on the AT. It's a large creek in PA called Conodoguinet Creek. It is adjacent to the "Scott Farm" mile 1,112 just north of Boiling Springs, PA. When I was ther in 2001 I saw several enormous fish swimming in the creek. I mean really big ones. For whaterer that's worth.

Panzer

ArkVol
04-11-2005, 21:55
No fishing allowed above 3500 feet in the Smokies

Peaks
04-12-2005, 08:04
No fishing allowed above 3500 feet in the Smokies

Get the map of fishing streams from the NPS for the Smokies.

ArkVol
04-12-2005, 08:08
dont fish the Pigeon river either, you might die

Grampie
04-12-2005, 08:47
I'm a fisherman so On my 2001 thru I took along about 25ft of line and a couple of hooks. Just in case the oppertunity arose. Well, I didn't do much fishing. I did try a few times without any luck. Most states require a fishing license to fish.

timmytooth
05-03-2005, 20:45
well i'll be starting in maine and i still can't imagine not going without my rod. may not do much fishing but when i do it will be more than worth it.

MicahDawgNC
05-08-2005, 14:27
On the western side of Max Patch (I'd say it's a 3/4 mile hike downhill) is a small pond stocked to the brim with trout. The posted sign says fishing is permitted April 1st through the end of February.

Tin Man
05-08-2005, 19:44
In VT, between Statton and Killington there are a few ponds right along the trail where I have run into fishermen. Perhaps if you alocate a little time at dawn or dusk you might have some luck.

Kozmic Zian
05-08-2005, 21:02
Yea....Fishing. Carry a very lightweight piece of monofilament (4lb test) rolled up in a film canister with a silver spinner w/ a red bead at the top tied on the mono. Take the mono and wrap it around your hand, take the other hand and whirl the lure around and around and toss it into your lake stream. Give it a couple of jerks and bam! Din, Din. When I Thrued, I ate fresh fish as often as possible. KZ@;)

fiddlehead
05-08-2005, 23:28
I've caught fish in the Sierras and in CO on the CDT. My only AT fishing experience was a non experience as in 91, i was hiking in Maine (between Stratton, Me and Caratunk) and it was raining hard. The only other hiker i saw out there that day was a fish & game constable looking for people fishing without a license. I never knew of any AT thru-hikers (before reading this forum) to try to catch fish during their hike, so i thought this guy was really into his job.

I have hiked with a friend of mine from Idaho who only carries a cooking pot and fishing gear for food. (and coffee) He is an amazing outdoorsman and goes out alone in the winter for weeks at a time. He showed me how (and where) to catch all the fish we could eat within 30 minutes. (sorry i'm not tellin where)