PDA

View Full Version : Clothing list for central/North VA section hike

Cozy
04-26-2012, 10:33
Hi Gang. Need some help with clothing choices for section hike. Trip: hike the James River foot bridge (near Lynchburg, VA) to Harper's Ferry, leaving sometime the week of May 20th. I just want to make sure I'll be warm enough. Do I need to get a jacket or will a fleece (1 or 2) with rain jacket will do. Thanx.

40 degree square sleeping bag
Thermarest trekker sleeping pad
tent

Clothing list:
Synthetic long john top
Synthetic long john bottom

Synthetic short sleeve tshirt
Synthetic long sleeve t-shirt

nylon shorts
nylon pants

rain jacket
rain pants

Chilis 100% polyester pullover fleece without hood (8.5 ounce)
Columbia polyester zippered fleece with hood (13.5 ounce)

gaitors
gloves
fleece hat

boots
sandals
socks
sockliners

Moose2001
04-26-2012, 10:40
Depending on how the spring weather goes this year, you might have some chilly nights. You don't say what kind of sleeping bag you have. Unless it's a high quality down bag, I might rethink your choice. At the very least, add a silk bag liner to give you a few more degrees. If you're going to go with that light of a bag, I'd make sure I had good, warm long johns.

Clothing list looks....OK. I'd leave the nylon pants at home as well as one of the fleeces. Pick the warmest one and go with it.

Kerosene
04-26-2012, 11:26
You should have more than enough clothing. In fact, I'd question your need for two fleece jackets, as I only bring a 100-weight fleece which I layer with long johns, LS shirt, and rain/wind jacket, which takes me down to the 30's. Here (http://www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/wxclimatology/daily/USVA0815?climoMonth=5) are the average and extreme May temperatures for Waynesboro, VA to help you assess the temperatures you are likely to encounter. Drop the temperatures by perhaps 10 degrees to reflect ridgetop temperatures.

Your sleeping bag is probably my biggest concern. If you have experience down to that temperature then it might work. Personally, I would bring a slightly warmer bag. If the bag is roomy enough then you could potentially wear both fleeces to bed to augment the temperature range.

Cozy
04-26-2012, 12:14
It's a Northface Allegheny, SYNTHETIC.
What degree bag do you suggest that I need as a minimum?

Blissful
04-26-2012, 13:00
30 degree bag.
I'd bring one fleece.
No gaiters (they make your feet hot and contribute to blisters) or rain pants that time of year or gloves
sandals are heavy, crocs are lighter