PDA

View Full Version : last 30 miles in Maine

tba
04-26-2012, 11:48
Looking to hike the last 30 miles in Maine, prob late September. Any advice? What trailhead go in and also, looking for transportation advice (including flying in). From Southeastern US.

peakbagger
04-26-2012, 13:00
Bascially search for how to get to Millinocket for how to get to the general area. (Fly into Bangor ME or Portland ME and take a bus to Medway or arrange a shuttle from Bangor). If you dont mind spending money, look up Katahdin Air, they can pick you up in Bangor and drop you off at several spots in the 100 mile wilderness. Any other option will probably chew up a good part of a day.

Note, you arent going officially be a thru hiker and therefore cant use the Birches campsite in the Park so you need to make reservations in Baxter State Park. Check out their website http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/reservation/index.php and the rolling reservations rules as you need to book a site as soon as possible. The rolling reservations opne up 4 month in advance of the data so right now you can book as late as August 27th. There really isnt a good option to day hike Mt Katahdin from outside the park so you need a camping spot. I strongly suggest booking two nights in the park as the odss of great weather one day is only 1 in 3. To get back to the airport make arrangment with the AT hostel in Millinocket. Worse case is hitchhike as 95% of the people leaving the park are heading past Bangor and on to Southern ME. The Kathadin air facility is about haflway from the park to Millinocket so if you want to spend the bucks hitch to their facility and have then fly you to whatever airport you want to go.

tba
04-26-2012, 21:12
Thanks for the help

Quadzilla
04-27-2012, 11:34
The last 30 miles puts you near the Pollywog Stream bridge which is accessed by the Jo-Mary Road and can be reached either through Greenville or from Brownville/Millinocket (Rt 11). I do shuttles into the area on a regular basis as well as pickups and droppoffs in Bangor. Make sure you have your Baxter reservations nailed down before making additional plans. Plan to reserve a private lean-to at Katahdin Stream and that will set you up nicely for your climb..... www.100milewilderness.info (http://www.100milewilderness.info)

tzbrown
04-28-2012, 21:23
Glad to see this thread started. It answers a few of my questions also.

I had an interuption to my hike last year in August, I fell and broke my leg going up Wildcat mountain in NH.

I plan to restart in early June, at Pinkham notch, but I also won't be classed as a thru hiker either, unless I flipflop. :-?

Any additional information for the 300 miles from Pinkham notch to Mt Katahdin?

TJ aka Teej
04-28-2012, 21:31
I plan to restart in early June, at Pinkham notch, but I also won't be classed as a thru hiker either, unless I flipflop. :-?

Any additional information for the 300 miles from Pinkham notch to Mt Katahdin?

If you mean you can't stay at the Birches, actually you can. anyone hiking in at least from Monson qualifies as a 'long distance hiker,' and that's who can stay there. Peakbagger was giving correct info to the hiker just coming in from 30 miles away.
Pinkham Notch to Katahdin? What a great section to hike!