PDA

View Full Version : Section hike shuttle advice

bulljive
04-26-2012, 12:40
I'm new to section hiking the AT (fairly experienced at backpacking though) and I am looking for some feedback on the logistics of a 7-day section hike I'm planning for mid-May.

I'm planning to park at Mountain Harbour B&B in Roan Mountain TN at the start of my trip and hiking north from there for a week. 4-5 days into the trip I should have a very clear idea where I want to finish: so I'm thinking of arranging a shuttle before my trip begins, arranging a specific date and general region in VA where I'd like to be picked up, then several days into my trip calling again to give a specific location & time for pickup to be taken back to my car. Would this be too much of an imposition on the shuttle service, or do people do this kind of thing regularly?

I'm not thrilled about getting a shuttle ride on the front end of my trip and ending at my car, because I'd rather make the most of my 7 days and see what distance I make.

Lyle
04-26-2012, 13:52
I generally prefer to do it the opposite of what you are proposing, but that can cause difficulties as well, like locking you into more of a schedule. I just prefer to end at my truck and head home or to a motel without having to mess with a shuttle at the end. Your proposed method has the advantage that you aren't tied to any type of schedule.

I've stayed at, left my vehicle at, and shuttled from Mountain Harbour in the past. Great folks, dependable. I would arrange both your parking and shuttle with them. I'm pretty sure they could be flexible as long as you can be flexible as well on the details of pick-up time etc. Best advice I would have is to give them a call, and see what they say.

There are generally shuttle operators all along the trail, many can arrange a shuttle for you on a couple of days notice, I just like to have those logistics arranged ahead of time. The outfitter in Damascus could also probably shuttle you back to your vehicle. Print off a copy of the shuttle list form ATC to take with you. If all else fails, Ron Haven from Franklin can probably help you out with some contacts of individuals he knows or knows of. I know he's offered assistance to hikers all along the trail. He knows a TON of trail folk.

How every you work it out, plan to stay a night at Mountain Harbour either before or after your hike, and avail yourself of the breakfast in the morning - amazing!

Good luck, Have fun.

1azarus
04-26-2012, 15:39
Perfect advice from lyle... Only other suggestion from me would be to keep your car at mountain harbor and have them shuttle you 3 or 4 days worth of hiking north...then you can walk back to your car and resupply easily mid trip...you could then either keep on walking south and get a shuttle back by calling at the end of your trip or you may, at your mid hike point, be able to plan the last part of your hike and just shuttle south so you walk back to your car again. This general approach means clean clothes and your choice of food at the midpoint of your trip. Have a great time!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

max patch
04-26-2012, 16:14
The advantages of hiking to your car greatly outweigh the disadvantages.

Since you say you are an experienced backpacker I believe you can pretty much estimate with great accuracy how far you can walk in a week. And if you miss it by a day -- you certainly won't miss it by 2 -- you can always do a one day out and back that last day.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2012, 21:03
I'm new to section hiking the AT (fairly experienced at backpacking though) and I am looking for some feedback on the logistics of a 7-day section hike I'm planning for mid-May.

I'm planning to park at Mountain Harbour B&B in Roan Mountain TN at the start of my trip and hiking north from there for a week. 4-5 days into the trip I should have a very clear idea where I want to finish: so I'm thinking of arranging a shuttle before my trip begins, arranging a specific date and general region in VA where I'd like to be picked up, then several days into my trip calling again to give a specific location & time for pickup to be taken back to my car. Would this be too much of an imposition on the shuttle service, or do people do this kind of thing regularly?

I'm not thrilled about getting a shuttle ride on the front end of my trip and ending at my car, because I'd rather make the most of my 7 days and see what distance I make.

when you get to damascus, PM me. i can shuttle you