PDA

View Full Version : 4 week N-S section hike thru VA

treyd
04-26-2012, 13:02
I just found out last week that I'll have a month to spend on the AT beginning May 15. I'm in a mad rush to get some logistics taken care of. My plan is to start my hike where the AT crosses US522 near Front Royal and head south as far as I can in 28 days - hopefully to Pearisburg. Can all you experienced folks chime in with info on businesses, individuals or services that will hold food drops and also shuttle services along that route?

Also, I'll be driving from the Dallas area and will need a safe place to park my car for the month. I'm thinking I'll drive into Roanoke and leave it there. I thought I would then take a Greyhound up to Front Royal, but I found out Greyhound doesn't stop there (at least there's no way to book that trip online). Then when I get off the trail take a shuttle back to my car in Roanoke. So, I'm also hoping someone knows of a transport from Roanoke to Front Royal and also a shuttle service in/near Roanoke who could possibly watch my car.

Much thanks in advance. And I'm not locked into those start and end points if there's a more convenient location for transportation.

- Trey

(If I've submitted to the wrong forum please excuse me and move my posting appropriately - thanks!)

Blissful
04-26-2012, 13:27
Be sure to get a copy of the companion to help with your logistics. You can download a copy for a small fee here (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm). That will answer many of your questions on resupplying. That is also MAJOR thru hiking season during that time frame so be sure to have a tent.

Check ATC for shuttles (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/find-a-hike/parking-shuttles-transportation).

treyd
04-26-2012, 13:50
Thanks for the quick info! I see you live in that area; How are the insects that time of year (specifically mosquitos and no-see-ums)?

Blissful
04-26-2012, 21:11
No big deal. It's deer ticks you need to be wary of. Lyme disease in the rise in northern VA, esp Shenandoah.

bigcranky
04-26-2012, 22:17
Yeah, I'd worry about ticks. After a bout with Lyme about six years ago, I've been treating my clothes with permethrin.

Offhand, without looking at the Companion, I'd say that you have plenty of meal options thru Shenandoah; easy hitch into Waynesboro for a resupply; you can send a mail drop to The Dutch Haus B&B just north of US 60; easy walk to resupply in Daleville; and don't miss The Homestead near Roanoke.

There is an outfitter in Daleville, just north of Roanoke. I've left a car in their lot, and they've shuttled me. It's not as far as you wanted to hike, but it's *very* convenient to the interstate. That said, I will continue to swim against the current and HIGHLY recommend that you drive to Front Royal, park there, and hike south. Then get a shuttle or ride your thumb back to the car from your end point. On a hike that long, there is just no telling where you'll end up finishing, and having to get two shuttles is a royal PITA, as well as costly. For me, there is an added pressure to make it to the car by a certain day, too, and I don't like that feeling.

You could also look into taking the bus or train from Dallas and returning the same way. You should be able to get to Harper's Ferry by public transit. Nice starting point, too.

Have a great hike!

treyd
04-27-2012, 11:56
Ken,
thanks for the input. I had thought about starting in Harper's Ferry but I really wanted to make it down into Jefferson NF. The inconvenience WRT transportation may make that too expensive though. Parking in Front Royal or Harper's Ferry has a few advantages I can think of. I'll have to chew on it over the weekend.
How is the thumbing along I-81? I've never hitched so any tips would be appreciated.

thanks again!

bigcranky
04-27-2012, 16:12
Well, you can't actually thumb on the interstate, of course. Hitchhiking is generally easy for hikers off the beaten path, and gets more difficult the closer you get to cities or major highways. I think the key is to make sure you look like a hiker and not a vagrant. Keep the pack visible. Get one of the bandanas that say "hiker to town" on one side and "hiker to trail" on the other.

We picked up a couple of guys and their large dog on a major road coming into Shenandoah last summer. They had started that morning in Harper's Ferry, and it had taken less than four hours and 3 hitches to get to their car at Panorama (in SNP.) We were the last hitch, and the second one was on the interstate. So it does happen. (All of my hitching has been way out in the boonies along the AT, so my advice with this sort of very long hitch is purely theoretical. But my experience with hitchhiking along the AT has been nothing but wonderful.)

Shuttles are easier, of course, but that distance will cost a couple of hundred at least. When you get closer to the trip dates, check here on Whiteblaze -- there are some members in SW Virginia who have offered support services for hikers before. Maybe someone is heading up that way and can give you a lift.

OldFeet
04-30-2012, 16:43
Just wanted to say hello and that we'll probably pass on the trail since l'm heading north from the Thunder Hill shelter on the 20th.

flemdawg1
04-30-2012, 17:46
Its only ~$350 to fly into Dulles and out of Roanoke to DFW. I'd save myself 3-4 days of driving (+ stress of leaving my car for 4 weeks) and fly into Dulles then get shuttled to the trail (or fly into Reagan and catch the train to Harper's Ferry). HIke the 4 weeks and get a shuttle to Roanoke for the flight home.

bigcranky
04-30-2012, 20:03
Its only ~$350 to fly into Dulles and out of Roanoke to DFW.

Given the mileage my truck gets, that's probably cheaper than driving. YMMV of course.

treyd
05-01-2012, 12:02
Its only ~$350 to fly into Dulles and out of Roanoke to DFW. I'd save myself 3-4 days of driving (+ stress of leaving my car for 4 weeks) and fly into Dulles then get shuttled to the trail (or fly into Reagan and catch the train to Harper's Ferry). HIke the 4 weeks and get a shuttle to Roanoke for the flight home.

Wow! What site and travel dates did you use to find that fare? I'll definitely go that way at that price, however, the cheapest I'm seeing is double that. Please let me know the specifics on the flights you looked up. I'm using May 13/14 and June 14/15 for travel dates. May 13 is the earliest possible day for departure and June 15 is the latest possible for return.

Thanks for the ground work!

treyd
05-01-2012, 12:07
Just wanted to say hello and that we'll probably pass on the trail since l'm heading north from the Thunder Hill shelter on the 20th.

Thanks. Hope to see you on the trail!

flemdawg1
05-01-2012, 12:22
Wow! What site and travel dates did you use to find that fare? I'll definitely go that way at that price, however, the cheapest I'm seeing is double that. Please let me know the specifics on the flights you looked up. I'm using May 13/14 and June 14/15 for travel dates. May 13 is the earliest possible day for departure and June 15 is the latest possible for return.

Thanks for the ground work!
http://www.kayak.com/r/YACC9vmVE Tuesday May 15 returning Thurs June 14th

treyd
05-02-2012, 17:33
flemdawg,
thanks for the flight info. I now have tickets so travel in and out is taken care of. Just a few things more and I'm all ready. Anyone know if there is a place in Front Royal to purchase fuel canisters (since I can't take them in checked baggage)?

The folks on this forum are excellent help. I doubt I'd have been able to pull all this together in time without you all. Thanks again!

flemdawg1
05-02-2012, 18:04
flemdawg,
thanks for the flight info. I now have tickets so travel in and out is taken care of. Just a few things more and I'm all ready. Anyone know if there is a place in Front Royal to purchase fuel canisters (since I can't take them in checked baggage)?

The folks on this forum are excellent help. I doubt I'd have been able to pull all this together in time without you all. Thanks again!

Glad I could help. there's a outfitter on Main St. In Front Royal, Weasel Creek Outfitters.

Weasel Creek Outfitters
433 South Street
Front Royal, VA 22630
(540)622-6909
[email protected]
Brandon and Wendy McCrary, Owners

Cherokee Bill
05-02-2012, 19:22
No big deal. It's deer ticks you need to be wary of. Lyme disease in the rise in northern VA, esp Shenandoah.

There is a new tick in the Central VA area to be concerned with as well: the "Lone Star" tick and it has the ability to cause SERIOUS allergies in many folks they bite!
My youngest son (42-yo) is a victim and paying a heavy price with regard to allergies. Look it up on the Net

Cherokee Bill
05-02-2012, 19:25
Yeah, I'd worry about ticks. After a bout with Lyme about six years ago, I've been treating my clothes with permethrin.

Offhand, without looking at the Companion, I'd say that you have plenty of meal options thru Shenandoah; easy hitch into Waynesboro for a resupply; you can send a mail drop to The Dutch Haus B&B just north of US 60; easy walk to resupply in Daleville; and don't miss The Homestead near Roanoke.

There is an outfitter in Daleville, just north of Roanoke. I've left a car in their lot, and they've shuttled me. It's not as far as you wanted to hike, but it's *very* convenient to the interstate. That said, I will continue to swim against the current and HIGHLY recommend that you drive to Front Royal, park there, and hike south. Then get a shuttle or ride your thumb back to the car from your end point. On a hike that long, there is just no telling where you'll end up finishing, and having to get two shuttles is a royal PITA, as well as costly. For me, there is an added pressure to make it to the car by a certain day, too, and I don't like that feeling.

You could also look into taking the bus or train from Dallas and returning the same way. You should be able to get to Harper's Ferry by public transit. Nice starting point, too.

Have a great hike!

This ia all EXCELLENT advice, and could not be better stated!