PDA

View Full Version : Parking at Wayah Gap?

mtmontz
04-26-2012, 13:17
Is there any overnight parking at/near Wayah Gap? Looking to spend about three days on the AT.

Loneoak
04-26-2012, 13:25
I mite be wrong, but was up there a few weeks back and there was plenty of parking in front of the bathrooms. I don't remember a sign saying NO overnight parking.

daddytwosticks
04-26-2012, 15:43
Is there any overnight parking at/near Wayah Gap? Looking to spend about three days on the AT. Yes. Right off the State maintained paved road. Name and route number of the road escapes me. Parking for several cars, picknic tables, and I think maybe grills and trash cans. I think mtmontz has the Wayah Bald firetower area confused with Wayah Gap area. Happy hiking. :)

Gray Blazer
04-27-2012, 09:20
Yes. Right off the State maintained paved road. Name and route number of the road escapes me. Parking for several cars, picknic tables, and I think maybe grills and trash cans. I think mtmontz has the Wayah Bald firetower area confused with Wayah Gap area. Happy hiking. :)

Speaking of the Wayah Bald Tower ... There are some mountain spotters (I don't know what they are called, but you can use them to sight mountains in the distance and it gives you the mileage) on the tower. They have these at Devil's Courthose and other places. One of the mountains named on these markers is Big Butt. I'm assuming it is the same one that is north of Camp Creek Bald by the Yankee graves. To get to the point, my guide says it's approx 177 miles on the trail from Wayah to Big Butt. Is there any other place on the AT where you can spot the trail that far in the distance? I'm guessing Mt Washington on a clear day.

daddytwosticks
04-27-2012, 15:31
Speaking of the Wayah Bald Tower ... There are some mountain spotters (I don't know what they are called, but you can use them to sight mountains in the distance and it gives you the mileage) on the tower. They have these at Devil's Courthose and other places. One of the mountains named on these markers is Big Butt. I'm assuming it is the same one that is north of Camp Creek Bald by the Yankee graves. To get to the point, my guide says it's approx 177 miles on the trail from Wayah to Big Butt. Is there any other place on the AT where you can spot the trail that far in the distance? I'm guessing Mt Washington on a clear day. There is a Big Butt on the AT slightly south of Albert Mtn. Is this the Butt you are talking about? :)

Gray Blazer
04-28-2012, 12:58
There is a Big Butt on the AT slightly south of Albert Mtn. Is this the Butt you are talking about? :)
The pointer is pointing NE and I think I remember it saying Big Butt 50 to 70 miles away. I think it must be in the Balds.